beccadanna13

Standing Split

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I have a few questions about standing splits. 1. Should your hip open slightly or should it stay squared with the other hip? 2. I have the flexibility to do just about a full split on the ground but in the air is another story. I think it comes down to lack of strength in unknown muscles. Does anyone know what muscles and poses to help strengthen them?

MrBalloonHands likes this

I was just looking for the answer to your first question on Candace's blog and found this: http://yogabycandace.com/blog/2013/8/8/how-to-do-a-standing-split.  I'm glad I checked, because I really didn't know the answer to the hip question.  As for the muscles, I have NO clue.  My answer is always the abs lol.  Seeing as how the core is so important to pretty much everything, it's my go-to answer  :D .  I hope someone else will chime in on that one!

Thank you for your help, Katie! I had reviewed that post as well. Based on it saying "inwardly rotate the lifted leg" I believe the hips should stay square and not open up. 

I love this pose but it challenges me both physically and mentally which is why I chose to work on it. I do believe abs have something to do with it. I also think it may be the butt and lower back? I could be way off here. I'll keep working at it! 

KatieD likes this

Standing splits - Urdhva Prasarita Eka Padasana is a full body work out. Nearly everything in the body comes into action for that one. I don't know of a requirement to keep the hips square. The action of 'inwardly rotate the lifted leg' is to encourage widening of the sacrum. As long as that action is maintained the hips are fine without forcing them to be squared.

Here is a list of preparatory poses

Mountain

Forward Folding Poses

Head to Knee

Tree

Half Moon

Warrior I, II, III

Low or Crescent Lunge

KristiSmithYoga likes this

I'm struggling with this too! I have the flexibility - if someone came up and adjusted my extended top leg, I could certainly move into the fullest expression of the pose. Getting my leg vertical on my own, however, is a different story!

Since it's a kind of balance, abs are largely important (as they usually are). As previously stated, it's almost like a full body pose. I find that it also works my quad and hamstrings specifically as well as the back.

I've always been taught that it doesn't matter how high you leg gets as long as you keep an internal rotation of both hips.

EricaKaye likes this