Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
corrynk

Strength Project-Supported Headstand

3 posts in this topic

So I am working on the 31 day strength project and my chosen strength is a supported headstand. It is coming along nicely, but now I want to fine tune my core strength and posture. When I am going into the supported headstand, I walk my feet until my hips are above my shoulders, but I notice that my upper back is pretty rounded and my lower back as well. Basically, I can't get my hips/ butt to straighten until I kick my feet up (I have been videoing myself and I have seen progress). I am wondering, how do I get my upper back and my lower back to straighten? Am I tight in my lower back or my hips maybe? Anyone else struggle with this? I am also pretty weak in the core so I am sure that has something to do with it. Thanks!

This is such a great question! I'm going to answer it in this week's AAYQ (which actually might come on Monday, haha) so stay tuned for that because there'll be lots of details and a demo, but until then I think it's a combination of upper body strength (continually pushing pushing pushing the ground away with your forearms) and flexibility in the hamstrings, hips and low back. Things that will help: long rag doll poses while you wait for your tea water to boil, lots of passive seated forward forward variations with your upper body resting on a bolster or blocks (as shown here).

corrynk and Robbie like this

Did you happen to post anything yet on this topic?? I checked the blog but didn't find anything. Im still working on my strength everyday though. Thanks!