Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mimisouth

Savasana V Mediatation

3 posts in this topic

What is the difference between savasana at the end of a yoga session to sitted mediatation? I really struggle to get comfortable sitted and therefore lose concentration. Could mediatation be done lying down?

I think the answers will vary depending on who you ask. My understanding is that savasana is a total letting go - forget the breath, forget everything you just did in your practice, and let the body just absorb the benefits of the practice. I guess you could sort of look at it kind of like a cool down at the end of a workout - you wouldn't want to end a workout without a cool down just because you'd benefit so much more if you did the cool down. Same with yoga and savasana. With meditation, it's an active intention to breathe and focus on a particular thing (like you meditate on something, or you have a mantra, etc). My (very strict Ashtanga) teacher always advised not to meditate while laying down. We'd all be wiggling around at 5am freezing and tired in this little hut in Thailand during meditation and he'd say to just ignore the fact that our legs were falling asleep or whatever it was, and just let it go.  <_<  Haha it was the worst! But we did it. 

If you're struggling to sit comfortably, you could try a few things: 

-pillow or block under the sits bones (just sit on the edge of either so that your pelvis is tilting forward)

-straddle a bolster, knees on the ground

-cross legged with a block or rolled towel under each knee

Hope that helps! 

KristiSmithYoga likes this

Ditto what Candace said.

Also, some people suggest sitting upright in a firm chair - one that doesn't encourage slouching. Haven't tried it myself but probably should because my left foot ALWAYS falls asleep around the 11 minute mark, and I struggle with not being distracted by the fuzzy-foot-falling-asleep sensation :wacko: