Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mimisouth

Morning Yoga

15 posts in this topic

I practise yoga in the evenings as this is when I have the time to concentrate. However, I have noticed how tight i am in the morning and thinking of doing a little morning yoga too but only have about 10 minutes to spare if I'm lucky. What would others recommend to do in the morning in the time I have available?

yogajedi and YogaByCandace like this

I am really tempted to do this and sometimes and when I wake up 15 minutes before my alarm I do get up and practice. The trouble with setting my alarm is I have a 4 year old who gets up too and wants my undivided attention so my plan for yoga goes out of the window!!

I do not have a child so I could not fully understand but there are definite moments of not having enough time in the morning even though it was my intent to (sleeping through alarm or sometimes just not feelings so great).  Sometimes I may have a little more time to do some poses for tight hips:

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/yoga-poses-for-tight-hips?rq=tight%20hips 

Or sometimes I am just stretching when I am brushing my teeth (a little easier to do when you have an electric toothbrush) and when I am using mouth rise.  Nothing too crazy of course, maybe a half way lift from forward fold so I am not brushing my teeth upside down or do a couple of stretches in my bed before I get up like Supta Padangustasana.

Ditto to Larry's suggestion of setting an alarm earlier, though I suppose not the best idea if it's going to wake up your little one. Hmmm... I am really creaky in the morning and like to do a long rag doll pose while I wait for my tea water to boil or for the hot water to come on before the shower. Just a little stretch like that is better than nothing for me. Otherwise maybe this sequence would be good? 

yogajedi and mimisouth like this

When I am really short on time, I'll just do a few rounds of sun salutations (As and Bs), and then pop into savasana briefly. I find sun salutations to be super energizing - all the more so if I float back into chaturanga - and savasana ensures my spirit is in a serene state. Literally this can be accomplished in 10 minutes.

yogajedi and mimisouth like this

I suffer from staring at my phone too long when I wake up....Does anyone put on any of Candace's morning videos to open and wake themselves up?

mimisouth and yogajedi like this

I do 10-15 minutes of yoga every morning and add a 5 minute breathing meditation if I have time. Believe me, the focus it gives you and the vitality you feel will be worth spending time on. For a while I suffered from wifi-issues and just did a couple of sun salutations but once I had access to good Internet I started live-streaming again. I have a couple of favourites on youtube (simply search for 10 min of morning yoga) and Candance has several videos that I use (for example 10 min yoga for neck and shulders when I feel sore, 10 min of morning yoga and breathing). She also recently posted a 15 min fullbody video I am eager to try.

yogajedi, mimisouth and PaulaH like this

I prefer practicing in the morning because my usual "end-of-the-day" are a bit unpredictable and the mind is tired of working all day long, so I usually get excuses to not do things at the end of the day.

So I try to stick with a morning practice when there's no other issues to worry about and the time to practice depends entirely on me getting out of bed (which sometimes isn't easy)

I like the feeling of starting my work day with something already accomplished.

Sometimes I practice 60 minutes, other times just meditate for 10 minutes. But at the end of the day I now I've done it.

MrBalloonHands likes this

How do you guys motivate yourselves to do it in the morning? As a college student, it's very difficult to get myself to workout in the morning. 

How do you guys motivate yourselves to do it in the morning? As a college student, it's very difficult to get myself to workout in the morning. 

Honestly, it's less a matter of motivation and more about not allowing myself to think. I crawl out of bed, roll out my mat, put on my yoga clothes and get started. It took me some time to get used to practising in the morning (I am not a morning person at all: if I'm in bed and asleep by 2am I count myself lucky), but by now I don't question it. Mornings are rarely productive for me, anyway.

afriske likes this