Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
melinda

Strenght Project. Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana

2 posts in this topic

Hello yogis! What is the difference between making utthita hasta padangusthasana doing seated and standing? I can do it when im sitting down but not when i stand up. When i stand up i can not keep my back straight and my leg is bent,but when i sit down im straight in the back and can keep both straight out on the sides. Why is it so?? Someone who knows the difference?

Namaste Melinda.

I know my quads burn a ton when holding it while standing. Gravity is one reason, my finger grip on my toe is not enough to make up for the ground support while sitting.  Also, while sitting, I can lean forward into a fold to reach the toe. But when standing, I can't fold at the waist to meet my toe, so to keep my back straight I need to light the leg higher up. Sometimes my teacher assists by holding up the leg for someone - can you ask someone at home to try holding up your foot while you do it to see if it's easier to keep your back straight?   

I recommend keep practicing with the knee bent and focus standing upright before trying to straighten out the leg.  Good luck!

Edit: just found this resource for modifications & variations. I thought this was a useful site because it stated reasons for doing each modification. Maybe try a wall or strap?

Edited by yogafire