Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Meugenio

Healthy/healthier Baked Treats?

8 posts in this topic

I always see people posting healthier substitutions for ingredients in baked goods on Pinterest, like in this lightened up red velvet cupcake recipe. I'm curious to try these substitutions, but I'm worried that the flavor and texture is going to be off so that it ruins the baked good and I don't want anything to go to waste. What are your thoughts? Have you tried any of these healthier substitutions in your baked goods? Do you have any recipes that could help get me over my fear of using healthier substitutions?

Ooo this is a good one. Yeah this is tough for me too but I grew up with a mom who was always serving up the funky looking homemade cookies with spelt flour while everyone else got the pretty, smooth cookies haha so I guess I am used to it? 

Here's what I have learned from my experiments in the kitchen: 

-coconut flour makes things dense and heavy. best to do half coconut flour and half almond flour so whatever you're making doesn't turn out like a brick

-honey is a great sub for sugar but I find it's sweeter, so I play around with it, generally using half of whatever was called for the sugar

-chopped nuts and peanut butter make everything better haha. no seriously.

Some favorite recipes: banana bread bites, lemon bars (SO GOOD!!!!), black bean cookies (don't judge before you try, I swear these were the best things ever and you don't even taste the beans...though now I'm on GAPS and I can't have black beans for a while - I'm suffering!)

beth, Laura, Oak and 4 others like this

Ooo this is a good one. Yeah this is tough for me too but I grew up with a mom who was always serving up the funky looking homemade cookies with spelt flour while everyone else got the pretty, smooth cookies haha so I guess I am used to it? 

Here's what I have learned from my experiments in the kitchen: 

-coconut flour makes things dense and heavy. best to do half coconut flour and half almond flour so whatever you're making doesn't turn out like a brick

-honey is a great sub for sugar but I find it's sweeter, so I play around with it, generally using half of whatever was called for the sugar

-chopped nuts and peanut butter make everything better haha. no seriously.

Some favorite recipes: banana bread bites, lemon bars (SO GOOD!!!!), black bean cookies (don't judge before you try, I swear these were the best things ever and you don't even taste the beans...though now I'm on GAPS and I can't have black beans for a while - I'm suffering!)

This is good stuff to know; thanks! I am now salivating haha (especially for those lemon bars).

i dont bake much, well at all lol, but these are a go to snack/dessert for me...it's easy to make & doesn't require many ingredients... 

http://insidebrucrewlife.com/2014/03/peanut-butter-cranberry-granola-bites/

i'll post more if i see any

These look delicious; thanks for sending me the link. My Pinterest food board is getting out of control haha!

Laura likes this

My pinterest food boards are full of great recipes (both healthy and not so healthy) but sadly I haven't been trying many of them yet. I even have a board called "not so naughty" for sweets that aren't tooooo bad!