Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daisy

Did I Overdo It, And How Can I Take Care Of New "weak Spots"?

8 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

I've been practicing yoga a couple of days a week for a few months now, and came across the month by month practices from YBC. It seemed like a very good way to take the next step and to track my growth, and I chose the backbendpractice 2 weeks ago. However, after one practice I realized I wasn't quite "there" yet, the videos were pretty difficult for me to follow, so I took a step back and went back to my previous practices. 

However, the day before yesterday I strained my back at work. I do a very fysical job (I take care of people with severe mental disability, which requiers a lot of heavy lifting, pulling, pushing to roll someone over, etc), but most of the time it's fine. This time it's much worse, and I can't help but thinking that this might have to do with my practice from two weeks ago? That maybe I've now build up the stress on my muscles and now it "snapped" or something? Could this be the case?

Also I've restrained from practicing because it just doesn't feel good yet (even sitting or lying down is painful). I now that there's some good yoga postures to relief lower back pain, but my back pain is in the middle, and I was wondering if there were some yoga poses I could practice to relief the pain once I feel ready to practice again? Are there yoga poses I should NOT do the next couple of weeks to give my middle back a rest? Because I feel like this place in my back is going to be sore for a while.

Thanks a lot! (and if my English is crappy, I'm sorry, it's not my native language!)

Daisy

blueswampmusic likes this

I am so sorry to hear this has happened to you.  I don't know enough to recommend yoga poses, but what about some breathing exercises to release tension? When I was recovering from a surgical procedure, part of the pain got aggravated by tensing up, which made the pain worse. That can be a horrible cycle, one that I could be similar to muscle pain, if that is what happened to you.  The exercise Nadi Shodhan pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breathing) allowed me to breathe in deeply and helped ease the pain by helping me relax.  You can look up some youtube videos to get a sense of the timing - some count to 10 slowly, but I think I had to start counting to just 5.

Yoga should make your back stronger, not weaker. Maybe you over did it with yoga or at work? Yoga has good practices for fixing many different back problems but a person has to know exactly what the problem is before using yoga. You have to go to a doctor and find out what the injury is then we may be able to offer some help. I think relaxation is always good but we can't do more than that without more information.

The doctor said it's probably just a muscle strain and gave me an ointment that should help relieve the pain. (I don't know if this is the correct term, I used google translate). It's the muscle in the middle of my back, next to my spine, on the lowest part of my rib cage. I think maybe the combination of my job and my yoga practices have added up. The intense pain is over now, but I still feel sore and a little bit "numb" and I'm just really scared to get back to my mat. I'm going to try again today, and take it really slow? I'm just scared that I might overdo it again, when the pain is gone I mean. I'm scared that I won't notice that I'm adding up to a strain in my back again, it that makes any sense. 

How can I make that part of my back stronger?

Hi Daisy,

I would see a doctor if you are having any pain or discomfort. It is always difficult to get advice on message forums when it comes to injuries because there are too many variables and unknowns when dealing with things like that. It is always best to see someone in person who has been trained in that field.

As you can read in my previous post, I went to see a doctor, he said it was a muscle strain. He however knows nothing about yoga so I really can't ask him anything about poses?

Daisy,

From my experience as an athlete, whenever I had a muscle strain, it was best to rest the muscle until it was healed. I personally wouldn't be doing yoga poses to heal a muscle strain. I hope you take it easy. Less is more when it comes to injuries.

Cheers!

blueswampmusic likes this

As someone who uses yoga to overcome back problems, I agree with Greg. Take it easy and give it time to heal. If and when you feel good enough to try some poses go with something that is easy to get into and out of like child's pose. This helps me in the morning to stretch the lower muscles and get the blood moving in that area. Also easy hip openers really help me with my back as well. Take your time and it will come along.

MrBalloonHands likes this