Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helenschki

Ketogenic Diet Snack Craving?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

After years of going turning more and more paleo, and of short periods dabbling with atkins and low carb high fat I am quite deidicated to keto adaptation and reach ketosis. I bought the keto testing strips and managed an almost purple by zeroing out the carbs for a couple of days, eat plenty of fat and moderate amount of protein. typical day: morning: bullet-proof coffee, lunch: one chcken leg, dinner; fried eggs and bacon. Of course I experienced brain fog and a weird tummy, cramps in legs and difficulties sleeping. But after a while I also noticed a mental strength and focus and I did better than ever during crossfit and yoga passes. And I lost some weight (probably mainly water). Then I went to Europe and spent considerable amonts of time on trains and planes and well....time to get on that ketosis bus again.

Anyhow, low carb high fat I have no problem with, if cheese and nuts are allowed I am good but I really want to reach that dark-purple ketosis state meaning my choises are very limited diet-wise and my biggest problem is the snacking. I need to snack or drink something tasty, it is my akilles heel. I should mention I am an ex-smoker and as a kid I thumb sucking was a great issues to my dentist. So it is not really the hunger or the cravings but most likely..bordeom or something.

So any suggestions on how to handle snack cravings while trying to phase into ketosis? Zucchini-chips someone said. :)

Wow, good for you for being so disciplined!

What are the restrictions, exactly?  A snack with zero carbs, high protein?  How do cheese and nuts disqualify you from the dark-purple ketosis state?

I was going to suggest roasted seaweed strips... but I see now there is 1 g of carbs in there, but has the same amount of protein, according to this brand

I have no background on special diets, but my husband focuses on eating high protein snacks with low sugar, so we do:

• Soft boiled eggs (I steam for 8.5 minutes, not boil) - I guess you already eat those for dinner, but might be a change of pace in method cooked
  • Low sugar beef jerky (this Field Trip brand we found that only has 1 g of sugar and 14 g of protein per serving.  But 2 g of carbs.

Also, I haven't tried any of these, but are any of these snacks appealing / fulfill the criteria in Candace's giveaway

helenschki likes this

Hi thanks! Well basically on a ketogenic diet you keep the amount of carbs to under 20g-day so cheese, cream, nuts etc is allowed. However to reach a state of ketosis and get this kind of high that people who experience it are talking about, you try to zero out carbs almost completely and limit protein as well (the fat in your diet should keep you full). Dairy is known for disturbing ketosis and nuts are sometimes blamed for triggering cravings and so on. So a good snack would be keto balls (butter cocoa powder, coffee, coconut flakes etc) or salami or similar.

Thanks for your tips, yeah I eat a lot of eggs. problem with the rest is that I live in southern Africa with import restrictions on food so I have to really go back to basics.