Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaByCandace

May Project

45 posts in this topic

Great project and beautiful post on the blog, I totally agree with you. Strengthening my whole body is one of my purposes for next months, so this challenge couldn't be more suitable.  I think I'll chose wheel, I'd like to build strength in shoulders and core to lift a leg (or even a feet!) from floor in that pose, which seems me something inconceivable now :lol: I'll work also on full boat pose to balance.

Thanks for another awesome project  :13:

i'm going to work on forearm stand and boat pose...something fun and something not fun -_-

I totally agree! Yuck to boat pose although I see great benefits in working on this!

femmefatalekris likes this

I can "sort of" do baby grasshopper so I'm going to work on my form and strength to hold it for several breaths. If I make good progress with it I may move from baby grasshopper to Full Big Momma Grasshopper! We'll see about that! :5:

Laura, Vicky and YogaByCandace like this

I'm so excited my first challenge I'm joining ! I have my 40 th bday in 2 months so I was actually looking for more things to increase my health and stamina and if I get more toned along the way awesome! I am going to pick Scorpion, I used to have a beautiful one 10 years ago (before the kids) want it to be even better , and boat , because its hard and I want to pick poses to focus on that work tone .. I have an obsession with mermaid lately but that's a flexibility issue ;)

YogaByCandace likes this

Managed my first headstand against the wall in class today. And I was in control of my crow for the first time ever. I guess this time around I'm actually ready for a strength challenge!

Vicky and YogaByCandace like this

Hey Shannon , my name is Shannon too.. I was like did I post twice? Great job! Getting over the fear of inversion is the hardest part after that they are so fun!

Laura and YogaByCandace like this

Hello all ! after 1st day my legs were sore after second day my shoulders and arms are sore, I have to say I LOVE the variety in the videos and how everyday is different. THANK YOU SO MUCH Candace ! I had no idea such a treasure was available for FREE online.. A blessing for those of us like me who live somewhere where there is NO quality yoga available . i am one of the best teachers in my state ;) (rural south central Mexico ) But also it is obvious you really take a lot of time to plan each day according to bodily and muscle needs , really thank you so much.

YogaByCandace, Vicky and Laura like this

Hello all ! after 1st day my legs were sore after second day my shoulders and arms are sore, I have to say I LOVE the variety in the videos and how everyday is different. THANK YOU SO MUCH Candace ! I had no idea such a treasure was available for FREE online.. A blessing for those of us like me who live somewhere where there is NO quality yoga available . i am one of the best teachers in my state ;) (rural south central Mexico ) But also it is obvious you really take a lot of time to plan each day according to bodily and muscle needs , really thank you so much.

:wub: Thanks for the love, Shannon, I'm so glad to hear you've found the program, and are enjoying it! Thanks so much for the kind words :13:

Managed my first headstand against the wall in class today. And I was in control of my crow for the first time ever. I guess this time around I'm actually ready for a strength challenge!

WOO! Good for you, Shannon!!!  :24:

Well everyone, my arms are exhausted lol.  I made up a day off earlier this week today and whew.  My focus pose is headstand, which is progressing amazingly well.  I wasn't even able to get up into the pose a few months ago but now it's becoming easier and easier.  Today I was able to get my legs up and extended without bouncing off of the wall.  Yay!!  However, my shoulders and arms are feeling it.  I actually couldn't even push up into wheel pose later on in my practice!  Sigh.  

By the way Candace, I absolutely loved your May Project blog post.  That resonated deeply with me.  I have worked on developing a healthier and more positive self-image and that post spoke to me.  Thank you for continuing to be a voice of support and strength!

I'm gutted as I think I will have to take it easy and not fully participate in the tone challenge .. I've injuried my leg but not sure what I've done. I seemed to jar it whilst sweeping the patio ( it felt a bit like when you crick your neck) and now have a shooting pain in my thigh which is moving from my front thigh to my bottom and now in my shin! I've been doing very gentle yoga and yoga for sciatica..

Well everyone, my arms are exhausted lol.  I made up a day off earlier this week today and whew.  My focus pose is headstand, which is progressing amazingly well.  I wasn't even able to get up into the pose a few months ago but now it's becoming easier and easier.  Today I was able to get my legs up and extended without bouncing off of the wall.  Yay!!  However, my shoulders and arms are feeling it.  I actually couldn't even push up into wheel pose later on in my practice!  Sigh.  

By the way Candace, I absolutely loved your May Project blog post.  That resonated deeply with me.  I have worked on developing a healthier and more positive self-image and that post spoke to me.  Thank you for continuing to be a voice of support and strength!

I'm so glad that post spoke to you. It's been something that has been really important to me - to try to really use my voice as a way to empower people and encourage people to let wherever they are be enough. I really don't like the guilt-driven images and memes. They do nothing for me and we have enough to worry about. So instead of worrying about being pretty, let's be pretty nice. Pretty smart. Pretty confident. Enough is enough :)

I love this challenge.  I actually like what the boat pose does for my abs.  I do have problems staying for a count of 3 - 5 breaths, but good time to work on it.  :-)

Go easy on yourself. The 3 breaths are just a suggestion. Feel free to make it your own. Maybe alternate legs and tap the toes for the three breaths? That may modify it a bit for you.

I'm gutted as I think I will have to take it easy and not fully participate in the tone challenge .. I've injuried my leg but not sure what I've done. I seemed to jar it whilst sweeping the patio ( it felt a bit like when you crick your neck) and now have a shooting pain in my thigh which is moving from my front thigh to my bottom and now in my shin! I've been doing very gentle yoga and yoga for sciatica..

Oh man, so sorry to hear this!!! I know how brutal it is to deal with an injury!! I have been struggling the whole last week with this sprained ankle. Hopefully this passes quickly for you!

KatieD and Jasmine like this

This challenge is awesome btw.  I have been able to stay up in crow pose for a few breaths and it fells awesome.  Found out first where not to have my knees because I got some bruises on my triceps (which now I know what everyone is talking about with that :P )  I have yet to get into a headstand but I am determined.  Still working to get my pelvis aligned over my head so I can extend my legs up.  I hope that everyone else is doing great, I love seeing all the photos on instagram and here :7:

Here I am too with my progress from the May project! I have my mother visiting these days so I don't practice as much as usually! I'm a few days behind, but I've already seen a bit of progress!!

I chose again more than one poses and they are Crow, Forearm Stand (and maybe try Scorpion) and also Baby Grasshopper, which I would like to turn to Grasshopper but I have no idea how to get to the pose! hahaha!! I also chose a pose that is not on the list Candace proposed, but is one I always liked and always failed to do... the Eight-angle pose, which I finally tried to take off the ground yesterday!!

DSC_6684.jpg
DSC_6695.jpg
DSC_6700.jpg
DSC_6712.jpg
DSC_6741.jpgDSC_6723.jpg
DSC_6783.jpg

Don't laugh at my "Scorpion pose" Candace... it's my first try ever and I hope that one day I make as much progress as you have done!!  :P

Well you're doing much better than I can Vicky, can't even approach crane let alone scorpion.

Thank you so much Robert! I couldn't either a few months ago! So there is always hope if you keep practising!!

I'm thoroughly enjoying this challenge. Crow pose is slightly better: at long last I have better balance (when I fall it's to the front of the mat rather than to my weak side), though doesn't last very long yet. Same goes for grasshopper: I can lift the back leg and put it down with control, but extending it it's beyond my abilities at the moment.

Headstand is the true core of this challenge. Ever since I decided to stop doing it against my bed I've had to learn how to do the pose all over again - it requires a lot more focus, especially in my core and forearms. I've done more than my fair share of falling over, though I've managed to remain injury-free. All the falling down makes for a somewhat frightening experience (it's no fun falling over, no matter how much I try to control the fall and not panic), which means I really have to commit to the pose, take my time and listen to my body. Maybe I'm going a bit slower than I used to back when I did it against my bed, but at least now I know that no matter which version of the pose I do it's my reality at the moment. It feels very honest, if a bit challenging to my ego.