Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaByCandace

May Project

45 posts in this topic

Here I am too with my progress from the May project! I have my mother visiting these days so I don't practice as much as usually! I'm a few days behind, but I've already seen a bit of progress!!

I chose again more than one poses and they are Crow, Forearm Stand (and maybe try Scorpion) and also Baby Grasshopper, which I would like to turn to Grasshopper but I have no idea how to get to the pose! hahaha!! I also chose a pose that is not on the list Candace proposed, but is one I always liked and always failed to do... the Eight-angle pose, which I finally tried to take off the ground yesterday!!

Don't laugh at my "Scorpion pose" Candace... it's my first try ever and I hope that one day I make as much progress as you have done!!  :P

Are you kidding, I would never laugh at anyone's scorpion pose! I couldn't even do forearm stand a while back - haha promise, I would never laugh at anyone - we are all beginners at some point! Your poses look amazing, and great picks for all that you're focusing on!!! 

I'm thoroughly enjoying this challenge. Crow pose is slightly better: at long last I have better balance (when I fall it's to the front of the mat rather than to my weak side), though doesn't last very long yet. Same goes for grasshopper: I can lift the back leg and put it down with control, but extending it it's beyond my abilities at the moment.

Headstand is the true core of this challenge. Ever since I decided to stop doing it against my bed I've had to learn how to do the pose all over again - it requires a lot more focus, especially in my core and forearms. I've done more than my fair share of falling over, though I've managed to remain injury-free. All the falling down makes for a somewhat frightening experience (it's no fun falling over, no matter how much I try to control the fall and not panic), which means I really have to commit to the pose, take my time and listen to my body. Maybe I'm going a bit slower than I used to back when I did it against my bed, but at least now I know that no matter which version of the pose I do it's my reality at the moment. It feels very honest, if a bit challenging to my ego.

I'm so proud of you for taking headstand away from your bed. I have been practicing my handstands away from the wall and just like you, it is a VERY different experience when you don't have the reassurance that there is something there to catch you. Really makes me use every single fiber of everything and strength and concentration to nail it. It's taking a very, very long time, but I kind of love the process because I know when I finally am able to comfortably come up and hold it for a long time, I will know that it represents countless hours of work and determination and constant practice.

Hildegard likes this

Are you kidding, I would never laugh at anyone's scorpion pose! I couldn't even do forearm stand a while back - haha promise, I would never laugh at anyone - we are all beginners at some point! Your poses look amazing, and great picks for all that you're focusing on!!! 

I know you wouldn't, I'm just kidding!! Thank you very much! Your comments make us stronger and more eager to continue practicing!! 

I hope you are having a great time in Greece!!

For the win!!  Last night was the first time that I successfully got into supported headstand without touching the wall!  I've been scooting back a little bit from the wall this week so I can really push myself and I did it!  No kicking, no wobbling, it was awesome.  Another extra-special aspect is that I went up into it on my "off" leg.  Thank you thank you thank you Candace for providing these challenges!  I don't think that I would've pushed myself this hard without a schedule encouraging me to go farther and work harder.

Vicky, yogafire, KimK and 4 others like this

I have to say I am so excited.. It's only day 14 and I missed some days with 5 de mayo and moms day and all. But today I went into handstand and didn't tiuch the wall and stayed up for a breath!!!! and then during my practice I switched hold on king dancer and didn't loose balance ! Huge things for me.. I really feel way stronger so rapidly?! and man my core after all this boat practice :0

For the win!!  Last night was the first time that I successfully got into supported headstand without touching the wall!  I've been scooting back a little bit from the wall this week so I can really push myself and I did it!  No kicking, no wobbling, it was awesome.  Another extra-special aspect is that I went up into it on my "off" leg.  Thank you thank you thank you Candace for providing these challenges!  I don't think that I would've pushed myself this hard without a schedule encouraging me to go farther and work harder.

Wow! Getting up with "off" leg without kicking blows my mind.  That just makes an already huge accomplishment even more impressive.

I have to say I am so excited.. It's only day 14 and I missed some days with 5 de mayo and moms day and all. But today I went into handstand and didn't tiuch the wall and stayed up for a breath!!!! and then during my practice I switched hold on king dancer and didn't loose balance ! Huge things for me.. I really feel way stronger so rapidly?! and man my core after all this boat practice :0

Well okayyyyyyyy - round of applause for all my headstand/handstand people!!! Major breakthroughs - I'm so happy to hear about them here on the forum! So proud of you!  :wub:

Hildegard and KatieD like this

Hmmm wonder when Candace will post week 3? I just did day 11 over again.. But excited I found the bind for sundial ! Lost when tried to fully straighten leg but hey.. And crow is getting way easier...

YogaByCandace likes this

Hmmm wonder when Candace will post week 3? I just did day 11 over again.. But excited I found the bind for sundial ! Lost when tried to fully straighten leg but hey.. And crow is getting way easier...

It was posted yesterday :)

nice photos vicky! i actually have a question for anyone willing to answer lol...does it matter how you position your hands in forearm stand? I'm beginning to see some progress and i notice i prefer my hands in a "prayer" stance, similar to what vicky has in her photos

i've seen others with their hands and forearms flat on the ground and i was curious if it matters...it was difficult for me to keep my hands that way, but maybe i'll just work on it

hopefully i can attend the inversion workshop, i've been so busy applying to graduate school so that would be a fun release once I'm done!!

Vicky likes this

nice photos vicky! i actually have a question for anyone willing to answer lol...does it matter how you position your hands in forearm stand? I'm beginning to see some progress and i notice i prefer my hands in a "prayer" stance, similar to what vicky has in her photos

i've seen others with their hands and forearms flat on the ground and i was curious if it matters...it was difficult for me to keep my hands that way, but maybe i'll just work on it

I have the same problem too with my hands! I really don't know how to position them... even the prayer hands are not what I would call comfortable, but definately more comfortable than hands flat on the ground. And I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm just not yet ready to work on the forearm stand... 

I try it everyday, but 9 out of 10 tries do not last even 1 second... and I think part of what causes it is that I haven't yet found my spot for stability because of my hands...

It was much easier with the headstand and I saw progress in it day by day... but with the forearm stand... nah...

I even think I have better results with my handstand than this...

Anyway, I'll keep practising it!! And if Candace or anyone else has to say anything about out hand issue... feel welcome to help!!

femmefatalekris likes this

It has been lovely watching everyone's progress... Unfortunately I had to withdraw from this challenge due to an injury.. Boo hoo.. Are we having a June challenge Candace?

I finished the challenge today (yesterday was a busy day and I knew I wouldn't have the time for it) and for the most part I'm pretty pleased with my progress. Crow pose is still my nemesis pose, but at least it doesn't feel quite out of my reach. I have a hard time figuring out exactly where to place my knees. I know they are supposed to go close to my armpits, but I'm not sure if they should somehow lightly rest on my triceps or sort of hug in my upper arms. Either way, at least now I'm at a stage where I can balance back and forth into the pose from malasana rather than fall flat on my face and/or tip to my right side.

Headstand is my teaching pose, as I like to call it. There's no cheating or shortcuts - I have to be truly present or focused or else. "Or else" happened a couple of times, and while it took me some time to regain my confidence, I'm back at my peak progress form: one leg fully extended, the other one folded so that the knee is facing the floor. Hopefully, some months down the line I'll be able to fully extend both legs, but right now I'm just enjoying the weightless sensation that comes from truly pushing my body weight on my forearms. It feels like my body truly wants for my legs to go up, I just have to learn how to listen.

Full grasshopper calls for more strength than I have at the moment. Extending my back leg is a long term goal. Eight angle pose, on the other hand, is coming along better than I expected. I'm not quite near the full expression of the pose, but my hips are more blananced with my legs and my arms are slowly getting close to bending at that 90° angle.

All things considered, I'm pleased with my practice and looking forward to what to do next.

Vicky and YogaByCandace like this

I finished the challenge today (yesterday was a busy day and I knew I wouldn't have the time for it) and for the most part I'm pretty pleased with my progress. Crow pose is still my nemesis pose, but at least it doesn't feel quite out of my reach. I have a hard time figuring out exactly where to place my knees. I know they are supposed to go close to my armpits, but I'm not sure if they should somehow lightly rest on my triceps or sort of hug in my upper arms. Either way, at least now I'm at a stage where I can balance back and forth into the pose from malasana rather than fall flat on my face and/or tip to my right side.

Headstand is my teaching pose, as I like to call it. There's no cheating or shortcuts - I have to be truly present or focused or else. "Or else" happened a couple of times, and while it took me some time to regain my confidence, I'm back at my peak progress form: one leg fully extended, the other one folded so that the knee is facing the floor. Hopefully, some months down the line I'll be able to fully extend both legs, but right now I'm just enjoying the weightless sensation that comes from truly pushing my body weight on my forearms. It feels like my body truly wants for my legs to go up, I just have to learn how to listen.

Full grasshopper calls for more strength than I have at the moment. Extending my back leg is a long term goal. Eight angle pose, on the other hand, is coming along better than I expected. I'm not quite near the full expression of the pose, but my hips are more blananced with my legs and my arms are slowly getting close to bending at that 90° angle.

All things considered, I'm pleased with my practice and looking forward to what to do next.

Some feedback: for crow pose - imagine the knees are gently placed on the arms and then imagine a round in your upper back and the space between the shoulder blades. Doing this will engage the intercostals and help you to "pull up" rather than "rest" the legs on the arms. Hope that makes sense.

For handstand - yep, no short cuts. A trick I've learned is, again, imagining a round in the space between the shoulder blades. This really makes you push the ground away and engage the upper body strength and shoulder girdle rather than dumping the weight in the shoulders and getting a major arch in the back.

Grasshopper and 8 angle - woop! Sounds like you have a really firm grasp on where you are in your practice and I love that you're sharing the progress and reflection here. Thank you for being a part of this community!  :)

Hildegard likes this

Posting a little late... here is my final progress for the May Project!

This month I have managed to do a lot of poses that seemed impossible and I'm very happy and satisfied with myself!!

I now have a solid headstand in which I can comfortably play with variations, a stable Crow which has a lot of room for improving though, a nice Mermaid variation in Dancer's pose and also some of my favourites, like Sugar Cane pose and Baby Flying Pigeon. And also I'm thrilled to have in my practice all the rest of the poses that you'll see below like Tripod Headstand, Forearm Stand (away from the wall finally!!!), 8-Angle pose, Baby Crow, in which I'm at the beginning of trying and looking forward to making them better and more solid by day! I can't even describe my happiness in my first flipped grip try in Dancer's pose (even with my bath towel belt used as a yoga strap)!

However the real credit is on Candace, because without her help nothing of this would be possible! So thank you once more!

P.S.: Yoga Selfie overload coming your way....!! hahaha!

post-640-0-98835300-1433419129_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-50957300-1433419131_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-48314000-1433419132_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-35891300-1433419133_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-33108000-1433419134_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-88626700-1433419135_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-97264300-1433419136_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-16064100-1433419138_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-33691800-1433419139_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-59301500-1433419140_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-73631600-1433419164_thumb.jpg

post-640-0-08680100-1433419166_thumb.jpg

KimK, mimisouth, Hildegard and 2 others like this

No way, the real credit is you because whether it's me or a book from the library or another yoga video elsewhere, the info is out there. The real hero of every practice is the student who has dedicated their time and energy. Your pics are awesome, thank you so much for sharing and for being a part of this community!!