Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Apple Watch Heart Rate

9 posts in this topic

I wore my new Apple Watch during yoga class today. The Watch, during normal mode, checks your pulse ever ten minutes, but during Exercise mode, it's every ten seconds. It's pretty funny to go back and look at the change in heart rate during certain poses and see the drop off during Savasana. 

Even though yoga isn't though of as intense cardio (like spinning, etc.), it's nice to see that during the class, you can go from 65% MHR up to 85% MHR (which makes me feel less guilty about abandoning spinning for yoga)

...as much of yoga is spent in strange poses where it's not easy to view a YouTube video, I imagine Apple Watch will be great for one's practice as the wrist (unless you're doing a bind) is usually visible...or at least more visible than a a laptop, iPad, iPhone or flat panel TV.

yogajedi likes this

How cool is that!! Apple watch hasn't been released here yet, I suspect my husband will get himself one as soon as it's out. I might have to "borrow" it  :P

I've always been interested to see how our hearts respond to yoga, a lot of people ask whether it's okay as high intensity, low intensity, etc but I guess with all of the different styles of yoga it's a bit difficult to know really. 

yogajedi likes this

I was shocked to see how high the rate went in certain poses. I doubt you can get to anaerobic zone in yoga, not that you would you want to

Jasmine likes this

Larry, thanks for sharing! Is there a heart rate during your yoga practice screenshot that you don't mind sharing, or is it only viewable on the watch?  Maybe you can chime in your opinion over

LarryD517 likes this

... Is there a heart rate during your yoga practice screenshot that you don't mind sharing, or is it only viewable on the watch?  ...

Yes and no.

The Apple Watch records data, but only displays heart rate at iOS Health app.

The Health app, for now, is pitiful.

You can either view an hourly high/low graph, which is too little information to be of use.

post-549-0-64326800-1432034562_thumb.png (click to enlarge)

Alternatively, you can view a data table (numbers, not graph) showing heart rates recorded every six seconds whic is far too much information to be viewed easily.

post-549-0-05774600-1432034563_thumb.png

To scroll through a session takes a few minutes as each iPhone page view shows a minute or two of heart rate readings.

Presumably, when Apple releases HealthKit 2.0 (most likely at the developers conference in June) they'll "open up" the data to third party app developers (and other fitness apps) to incorporate the HR data into a more user friendly chart.

...Apple currently does not allow developer access to Watch's heart rate sensor,...

source

For now, I glance at my watch when doing killer poses (i'm an advanced beginner/intermediate practitioner, so Warrior III and Pigeon are killers for me) and remember the time so I can later scroll to that time to see the rate.

For the most part, my heart rate varies from 60-85% of MHR.

Maybe you can chime in your opinion over 

It gets too disjointed to have multiple conversations on a similar topic, so I'll keep the conversation here as it's geared specificically to the one device (the Apple Watch)

yogafire likes this

Cool! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. That is disappointing you only have it in table format instead of a graph.

Good point about disjointed conversations. I already promoted this thread over there, so no need for you to post again. :)

It's really only a matter of time, Apple is historically careful rolling out newer technology and have typically walled it off to in house apps in the early months (Touch ID, NFC, etc.). Given the backlog of watches, I doubt many will be effected as I'll assume by mid July you'll see third party fitness apps sprouting up with charts using HR data.

Then again, if I do the same routine every day, does it really matter, from one day to the next to know how many calories I've burned?