Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helenschki

Kapalabhati Breathing

6 posts in this topic

I'm quite new to yoga five months in practice and I'm already at advanced level feeling awesome, enjoying the arm balances feeling like yeah I've got this I'm yogiyoga let's headstand together.

But the breathing?! Kapalabhati. I just cannot get it right. I find my lower stomach centre, start inhaling exhaling and then it just turns into hyperventilating and I get dizzy and get a tingling sensation in my arms and cannot wait for it to be over.

How do you do it? Is it some kind of trick?

yogagrammy likes this

Haha I love this question! I felt the SAME way! Basically the trick, for me at least, is to not overthink it. Don't focus on the inhales because they will come naturally. Start slowly. Too fast too soon and I feel like I'm dizzy. 

Reggi likes this

It is interesting but depending on how I am sitting or maybe everyday it is different sometimes I feel like I have to try to make my stomach expand on the inhale and go in on the exhale and I find myself breathing from my chest more and I am not getting a deep enough inhale.  And times when I feel like I am breathing correctly, sometimes I feel like I am getting out breathe.

YogaByCandace likes this

It is interesting but depending on how I am sitting or maybe everyday it is different sometimes I feel like I have to try to make my stomach expand on the inhale and go in on the exhale and I find myself breathing from my chest more and I am not getting a deep enough inhale.  And times when I feel like I am breathing correctly, sometimes I feel like I am getting out breathe.

You could try placing your hands on your stomach so you can connect the exhale with the belly breath rather than the chest - that may help. :)

KimK likes this

You could try placing your hands on your stomach so you can connect the exhale with the belly breath rather than the chest - that may help. :)

Thanks, I will definitely be trying this out  :D