awarreningermany

Taking It To The Next Level?

6 posts in this topic

So I have done yoga before and gotten out of it for a while. I was never really advanced. I started it back up again now in combination with the gym and cardio and I would say I am probably intermediate level at this point. I am starting to find some videos online to be not challenging enough, though still nice depending on the day. I recently came accross Yoga by Candace and really love the videos as well but find that I cant keep up well with the more advanced classes or moves (I accidently turned on a Power Yoga video for advanced Yogis as my first choice haha). I would like to basically somehow work on my flexibility and strength so I can get into more of the moves and flow a bit better. Is there some way to work on this or do you literally just keep trying to do the moves that are too hard until they become easier? I am doing them at home in my livingroom with no one to watch and dont want to hurt myself or do them wrong by rushing or attemping something to hard but find that poses are usually either fairly easy for me or too challenging which is annoying at times lol. I literally just realized this afternoon after doing a shoulder stand that I was doing them all wrong with my back rounded and more of my upper back on the floor than my shoulders and trying to adjust causes a lot of falling over! Any advice on training towards the next level or videos in particular which can help with this would be great!

TIA!

Welcome, awarreningermany!

Most poses can be modified but for those that can't (or at least not enough), other poses can be substituted. Which poses are you finding to be difficult other than shoulderstand? If your list is short, my recommendation would be to check out multiple YouTube videos produced by well-respected online yogis and/or publications. You can google "modifying shoulderstand", etc. to get more helpful results. That's what I do when I'm considering my own practice and/or prior to teaching others. Also, consider what the intention of each pose is. Since shoulder stand is an inversion, you could substitute other inversions: legs-up-the-wall and plow share a lot of similarities with shoulder stand. Alternatively, you could try headstand or even forearm stand (which also happens to be a great arm balance)...

Another comment is that reviewing "yogic anatomy" for a particular pose may help you to have an aha! moment that will provide the understanding necessary to execute that pose in a modified (or even full) expression. At least that has helped me with poses such as forearm stand.

Also, if you share which poses are most problematic for you, folks may be able to offer specific suggestions.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply. I guess for me I was just wanting to be able to eventually get it instead of subbing it out though I can for sure look up some modifications. most of the things I have trouble with seem to have to do with flexibility still or the more advanced balance poses like the grasshoper one or any of the headstands. I also have a hard time with certain moves that I dont know what they are called. One today was with one knee pressed up to the chest and then the leg was straightened but I was unable to even come close to straightening the leg and keeping it anywhere near my chest. Also for example with the dancing sheba (not sure if it is called that all over or if I have it right) I have a super hard time getting the leg I am holding out front to be straight. I actually even seem to have trouble just lifting my legs up in the air totally straight for yoga or pilates and find that my feet and toes go numb really fast like that.

I actually just bought a book called Yoga Anatomy 3d, which is suppose to show all the poses and the muscles used with explanations etc, so hopefully that will help a lot! I have really gotten into yoga and tend to be a perfectionist. So part of my practice will really be learning to be gentle and slow with myself and allow for imperfection (from my own eyes) and gentle progress without pushing too much.

KristiSmithYoga likes this

Hi awarreningermany,

I re-launched my yoga practice pretty much the same way you did: online videos at home, supporting my practice with workouts and cardio. I've been doing this for about 6 months now, and what really helped me get somewhere with my practice was identifying poses I had trouble with and working on them separately at the end of a regular yoga sequence. The reason I stuck with Candace was because she often explains where you're supposed to feel a good stretch, and that helps visualize how a pose is supposed to be taken. I am by no means an advanced student yet, but here are 2 tips that I can give you that made a big difference to my practice:

1. After about 3-4 months of self-home-yoga, I liked how well I was improving in terms of keeping up with more fast-paced videos. While that's great, I completely neglected to work on getting the basics fully right, like downward facing dog or chaturanga. Work on those extensively. It really does make sense.

2. HIP OPENERS. Just....do them regularly. You'll see.  :54:

Thanks so much Paula. I have obsessively been watching how to videos for all common or dream yoga poses that I do/aspire to haha. Some of them I just am not to the point where I can do them. I can work on the shoulder stand decently but doing a tripod headstand for example wouldnt happen cause I dont have enough arm/shoulder strength! I just recently realized that I need to do a lot of work on my legs because my hips, hamstrings etc are all super tight and not flexible at all for some basic stuff. At least I love doing all yoga and not just balancing stuff. :)

PaulaH likes this