Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PaulaH

Bruises From Arm Balances

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

As I'm making the transition from beginner to intermediate, I'm starting to play around more with arm balancing poses (now that I have the upper body and core strength for them). I've noticed though that I get so many bruises on the backs of my upper arms, mostly from friction but also from the pressure of my legs in poses like side crow, firefly pose or eight-angle pose (i.e. my attempts thereof). It doesn't help when I wear long-sleeved shirts. Does this get better with time and practice? Or is there a way to avoid it? I usually have to take a break for a few days while the bruising goes down before I can keep practicing....and, well, summer is coming up  :D

Hildegard likes this

Hi everyone!

As I'm making the transition from beginner to intermediate, I'm starting to play around more with arm balancing poses (now that I have the upper body and core strength for them). I've noticed though that I get so many bruises on the backs of my upper arms, mostly from friction but also from the pressure of my legs in poses like side crow, firefly pose or eight-angle pose (i.e. my attempts thereof). It doesn't help when I wear long-sleeved shirts. Does this get better with time and practice? Or is there a way to avoid it? I usually have to take a break for a few days while the bruising goes down before I can keep practicing....and, well, summer is coming up  :D

I'm not really sure because I honestly have never had bruising with any of those poses.  Do you tend to bruise really easily otherwise?  

Are you engaging your bandhas?  I wonder if you are kind of sinking into your arms and need to be engaging the core in order to "lift up" out of the legs a bit.

MrBalloonHands likes this

I was also just thinking - I remember being taught in crow to put your knees right on the outside of your triceps and then squeeze in, rather than resting into the arm pit/on the arm

Vicky likes this

I have the same problem. Now that grasshopper is back into my regular practice, so are the bruises on my triceps. I tend to bruise easily, so I feel there's not much I can do until I learn how to do the pose properly. I suspect that part of the problem is that I push too hard with the foot on my upper arm while I'm trying to lift the back leg and keep,my balance.

I don't have much advice to offer, other than to possibly not press that hard with your legs and focus more on your core and arms instead, try to keep your legs lighter than a t the moment. That's what I'm trying to do, anyway.

PaulaH likes this

Hi everyone!

I have definitely been experiencing bruises on my triceps from my knees (really random but if anyone asks me when they are see them I am not sure if they are convinced that it happened while I was doing yoga, they might just think I am crazy :3: )   Crow pose is definitely new to me during this May challenge and I am still finding my place, engaging my core and putting most of my weight on my hands through my arms from my shoulders and not putting most of my weight through my legs to my triceps to my hands.  Which I believe I need to be moving my weight forward.  While I am working on establishing more core strength I have been placing my knees on the outside of my triceps and squeezing in and pushing out from my shoulders until I feel like my knees are feeling lighter on my arms.

PaulaH likes this

Thank you for your answers and feedback! Yes, I do bruise easily! Crow pose is actually the one that causes the least bruises, it's the ones that require squeezing your upper arms with your thighs and causing the skin to rub there. I know I need even more strength to pull off any arm balancing pose. Grasshopper...oh my. I come back to it regularly, only to find that I am not ready for that yet, even though I want to be so badly. Let's see if the bruises become less as I try to become "lighter" during arm balances.

yogafire and Hildegard like this