Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogiRishi

Lacking Motivation

3 posts in this topic

Hi THere. As you may know I came to this forum a few months ago and i was actively practicing yoga and participating here. However due to my summer travels and my hectic wedding season, I find myself 'too tired' and unmotivated to get to my mat.  I'm usually good on a routine but it's when I leave the country for a week or so, it throws my routine all off.  Can I have some advice on how to get my yoga practice back to how it once was. I know some of the answers may be fairly obvious, but I need all the help I can get right now :(  Thanks!

YogaByCandace likes this

Is there a teacher's class you enjoyed a lot, and can go back to rekindle that motivation? Or an online yoga video that made you really enjoyed the sequencing or made you feel good before, and you can go through it again?  I understand traveling throws off the schedule - but instead of trying to force yourself back into routine, is it possible to view it as missing a friend and visiting them again? I literally tell my teachers after I haven't showed up for awhile that I missed them, and I sincerely mean it.

I had a month hiatus recently.  I was too stressed with work to make the time to go or do yoga, even though I knew I needed it. I even kept reading and participating in the forum to keep myself "yoga engaged", but it wasn't enough to motivate me to actually go to practice (since it's almost a 2 hr commitment when walking to and from class).

I finally made it to back to a class that I love, and it was the last day my teacher taught before going on maternity leave.  I was so grateful I caught her before she left, and then I've been more motivated to attend the other 2 classes I most enjoy so they can remind me of how I good I feel after class.

I think I was taking it for granted that my teachers would always be there when I could make it back, but when I re-frame my attendance is about continuing our student / teacher relationship, I am more motivated to attend class on a regular basis.  The classes I like to attend have been an investment - I have built trust with the teacher and the teacher has built her knowledge about my body, so any assists I receive feel very personalized.

YogiRishi and YogaByCandace like this

This happens to me too. My practice has to take a backseat to other family commitments and eventually I practice less and less. Taking a break from the classes I regularly take and trying a new class seems to help get me motivated and excited to practice again.

Also, I'll look for short classes online, 15 minutes or so, and just tell myself I'm going to do a quick class and at the end I almost always want to do more. I usually forgo the classes at the studio when I'm in  a slump or short on time and just focus on home practice because there is less pressure and stress to make time for yoga if I don't have to look presentable or leave the house! Keeping up on the forum, yoga articles, instagram, etc. helps keep me engaged and sometimes i'll see a post that excites me and makes me want to run to my mat.

yogafire likes this