Oak

Fall Gardening - For Those Of Us In Colder Climates

4 posts in this topic

Any suggestions, tricks of the trade and preferred varieties? Particularly interested in zones 3-5. 

I've been planting (from seed) some herbs for the winter. I'll have to keep them inside (it gets so cold here) but maybe look into something along those lines? 

Oak likes this

I've been planting (from seed) some herbs for the winter. I'll have to keep them inside (it gets so cold here) but maybe look into something along those lines? 

We plant garlic in the fall and extend the life of kale and some other hardy greens and carrots. Herbs I find are harder to keep throughout the winter, they are usually on rotation. I am big on growing as much outdoors as this tends to create hardier produce with higher nutrition value. That being said I have chives, celery and lavender indoors right now. 

We plant garlic in the fall and extend the life of kale and some other hardy greens and carrots. Herbs I find are harder to keep throughout the winter, they are usually on rotation. I am big on growing as much outdoors as this tends to create hardier produce with higher nutrition value. That being said I have chives, celery and lavender indoors right now. 

I would love to have some fresh lavender growing in the house! Is it hard to take care of? What is the preferred climate? I have very little space in my house and have been dying for a small herb garden. My back yard is off limits since my dogs tear up just about anything that is placed out there. The only thing I can do is have a small herb garden inside or in the front yard that gets nothing but sunlight.