xJessicax

Chat Rooms For Forum Users?

44 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I've been on this forum for only a couple of days but I have been participating in a very enjoyable topic (about crowded yoga classes).

I got the feeling that a forum format is a bit slow, and personal messaging is only a one on one conversation. I would like to suggest a chatroom of some kind where people can have larger conversation with each other at a faster rate than forum topics, if that's possible!

Cheers!

YogaByCandace likes this

How funny! You know, usually when I post on the forum, it looks like I'm the only one online, but the other day when I was posting in that same thread, it was rather exciting to see "a new response" message appear.

Hi everyone!

I've been on this forum for only a couple of days but I have been participating in a very enjoyable topic (about crowded yoga classes).

I got the feeling that a forum format is a bit slow, and personal messaging is only a one on one conversation. I would like to suggest a chatroom of some kind where people can have larger conversation with each other at a faster rate than forum topics, if that's possible!

Cheers!

This forum host does have a live chat tab that I can add to the forum. I had taken it down from the start of the forum because we were not sure if it would be used. Since the start of the forum, there have not been a lot of members on at the website at the same time to take advantage of the service. But now that the forum has grown, maybe it is something that can be utilized. I will look into bringing it back and if any other members read this and would like this feature, please respond and let me know so we can be sure there is a demand for this. Thanks.

YogaByCandace and KimK like this

Oops, I think I broke the chat window.  I was doing some multi-tasking today, so I decided to sit in the chat room and see if anyone would join me.  3 different people at separate times joined - I said hi, got no response, and eventually they left (probably kicked out due to inactivity).

But now, I can no longer load the chat window (has a loading circle), even after I cleared my browser cache (Chrome). I see myself stuck in the chat room when I'm in the forum, but, I can't access the text box.  Has the chat been working for others, and is it just me that can't see responses? Or are people just accidentally clicking on the windows and forgetting to chat?

Edit: Just my luck... I try the chat room, one more time, just after posting this, and it works again.

YogaByCandace likes this

It seams to be temperamental, sometimes it loads for me, others it hangs with 'a script on this page has stopped responding' error from firefox.

I'll let Greg know - he's working today but will get on it asap.

robert likes this

I did also have some ideas about how to make the chat system more visible, one being to include a chat-stream in the sidebar on the forum home page along with the active users, photo stream etc.

Another would be to integrate chat into your mobile app.

scottcraft and YogaByCandace like this

The problem with chat is it requires two or more people to be at the forum web site...which is, more or less, hit or miss. You might be here and leave and another shows up a few seconds later.

If folks want to chat and see others online, they can easily do so. In addition I think a schedule could/should be set up, basically inviting anyone interested in chatting to be online at a preset time. For example, every other Sunday at 11 AM EDT and alternating every other Thursday at 8 PM EDT.  Not sure of the global reach of this site, but these times might accommodate folks work/sleep schedules. 

As the blog (or as the yoga goddess calls it, the blaaaaahhhg) and Instagram feeds seem to have better traffic than the forums, an announcement in those locations might bring folks here to join in.

I did also have some ideas about how to make the chat system more visible, one being to include a chat-stream in the sidebar on the forum home page along with the active users, photo stream etc.

Another would be to integrate chat into your mobile app.

Chat in the mobile app would be pretty cool! I'm usually on my iPad so I'd love a way to stay signed into the chat room in safari and continue to browse the forums or open another tab in the browser. 

YogaByCandace likes this

Let's pick a time and see how it goes! What works for everyone? Maybe we can have a poll and vote on a time that works for people? Are we discussing a special theme or topic? I am new to this stuff :)

Do we want to keep it just us forum users for now and eventually let the blog/instagram people know about it or invite everyone right off the bat? 

Let's iron out some details.

Robbie likes this

My two cents...keep it open ended...and open to anyone who follows you (there are a lot of yoga enthusiasts that don't regularly visit forums), you have thousands of followers (but the forums only attract 20-30 active members).

If it were me, I'd set it up as a "meet and greet" chat session and see where it goes. Folks can ask you stuff (since you're the central figure here). Eventually, the concept can take on a 'mind of it's own' and you can see where it goes. 

I've watched a few Periscope sessions by another yoga personality and some of the sessions are just chatting...not really about poses, etc., just discussing stuff (what she puts in her coffee, whether she is vegan and where she buys her clothes, etc.). She had >200-300 people interacting, so there's definitely an audience out there for folks wanting to communicate. 

YogaByCandace likes this

I think a poll for setting the time would be good. A meet and greet would be a good starter, but the chat would probably take its own path though. Hopefully it would be more than just a pick Candace's brain type of thing. 

Candace have you ever though of using periscope? It's a pretty cool format like Larry said. 

YogaByCandace likes this

Having a weekend and a weekday alternative is good. Please go ahead and set up a poll, and I'll respond. It's tricky on times though since we can span at least 8 hours apart (I think we lost those in Asia, so might just be US West Coast to UK now?). For instance, if I were to wake up that early on Sunday (Pacific time), then I'd attend a yoga class in the studio, not the chat forum. 

I think regardless of the actual times, setting up something that is recurring is a good start to encourage people to use the chat more often, and, for those that can't make it, they can stroll onto chat during the off hours and interact with others that may have missed it or prefer a smaller group.

Having a "topic" might be good as an ice breaker. I don't think we should Q&A Candace specifically - she is already responsive enough and has a whole blog series dedicated to that topic.  I like learning from other people - for instance, I had a negative impression of instagram (afraid there would be ridiculous poses for the sake of it due to Alec Baldwin's wife, for instance), and then I found out from Scott that he likes getting inspiration from there, so, I was more open to checking it out after that!

Edit: Regarding chat room usability - seems like I can't replicate the issues I were having before... even had a successful chat with Greg, today!

Edited by yogafire

Cool, nice to get everyone's input. 

I have periscope (I'm @yogabycandace) and use it here and there but after some experimenting, I realized it was best (for me, anyway) to save it for things like behind the scenes shoots, retreats and more exciting things than 'hey here i am in the my office drinking tea' which I did once and it was so painful because the nature of periscope is such that you have to start talking to yourself and hope people join in your conversation and when no one does, well then there you are just talking to yourself, haha. 

I would be happy to host the first one with a main theme and promote it across the blog and social media platforms, but when there are too many aspects of it being all about me I feel uncomfortable, and a bit overwhelmed, do you know what I mean? I would prefer the chat not center around me for two reasons:

1. Currently, I spend a lot of time creating blog content, maintaining social media and negotiating behind the scenes things, so if it's something that I can pop in on here and there and it would go on whether or not I make it to the chat, that would be ideal for me and my current schedule. 

2. I am on center stage on the youtube channel, social media and the blog by default but I always wanted the YBC Community to be just that - an inclusive community of great people from all walks of life who enjoy yoga where everyone is on a level playing field. The YBC Community is not about me, you know what I mean? The blog etc might've brought people together but the focus, in my opinion, shouldn't be on me. There are so many awesome people who bring so much to the table which is why a forum chat on a specific theme where everyone is encouraged to chime in could be really cool. 

Let's talk themes and a day of the week that might work for people? 

2. I am on center stage on the youtube channel, social media and the blog by default but I always wanted the YBC Community to be just that - an inclusive community of great people from all walks of life who enjoy yoga where everyone is on a level playing field. The YBC Community is not about me, you know what I mean? The blog etc might've brought people together but the focus, in my opinion, shouldn't be on me. There are so many awesome people who bring so much to the table which is why a forum chat on a specific theme where everyone is encouraged to chime in could be really cool.

Agree.

YogaByCandace and yogafire like this

Candace I agree with everything you said. I think a poll to determine the time would be a great idea. 

Topics: one thing I think would be interesting is what brought each of us into yoga and how has it impacted our lives. 

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

Maybe we can have a poll and vote on a time that works for people? 

I think a poll for setting the time would be good.

Please go ahead and set up a poll, and I'll respond. 

Survey

Candace I agree with everything you said. I think a poll to determine the time would be a great idea. 

Topics: one thing I think would be interesting is what brought each of us into yoga and how has it impacted our lives. 

I like Scott's suggested topic, especially for an introductory one. 

At first I wasn't sure if 'themes' should be broader, like, "backbends", but that seems too generic and not a conversation starter.  The first one is something I'm personally reflecting on:

1. What do you do when you can't make it to practice yoga? What are your reactions?
  2. Has yoga helped you in other physical activities? What do you consider your primary "sport" (including yoga)?
  3. Do you incorporate any of the 8 limbs of yoga by Patanjali in your life in addition to asana, and if so, how? (The linked infographic from yogadork is the most non-intimidating summary I could find)
  4. What inspires you to teach yoga? For non teachers, what aspects of yoga are you excited to share with others?
  5. What are your class preferences? Size, music, style, etc. Does it change based on how you feel that day?
  6. What are your yoga pet peeves (e.g. someone step on your mat) - others try to offer suggestions for letting go! (E.g. that person really had to use the bathroom)
  7. What other ways do you follow yoga? (Magazines, other forums, blogs, social media, in person gatherings) what % do you spend following yoga vs. Practicing yoga?

The others are just brainstorming and seemed to flow after I wrote down the first one. #5 and #6 were pretty popular discussion forum topics, but I think would be more fun as chat because people can build on each other. I don't like some as much as others, but we can just start a laundry list and pick and choose from the list whenever we do the sessions.

Last: a tip for those who may fear chatting as a massive time sink... you can multi-task and browse the forum at the same time or other items by activating the sounds in the chatroom - then you know if someone enters the room or writes something, and only switch to the window during that time.

I just want to issue a word of caution to you guys about the chat room. I ended up in a chat Saturday night with yogafire and kristismithyoga and those ladies made me stay up until almost one in the morning chatting! Be careful or you might have a great time like I did! ?

I seem to be having so much fun with chat that I'm breaking it!

Something I just discovered... if chat is not loading (this seems to happen to me when I sit idle for too long), try signing in on another browser.  That seemed to prompt me to kill a script that was running, and then, I was finally able to type in chat, in both browsers! Weird...

Please share if there's an easier way to kill the script on demand (shutting down Chrome and reopening did not help for me).