xJessicax

Chat Rooms For Forum Users?

44 posts in this topic

I just want to issue a word of caution to you guys about the chat room. I ended up in a chat Saturday night with yogafire and kristismithyoga and those ladies made me stay up until almost one in the morning chatting! Be careful or you might have a great time like I did! ?

We may need to add a warning to the site: WARNING, OUR COMMUNITY IS AWESOME AND YOU MAY HAVE FUN. :D:D So glad you guys had a blast!

We may need to add a warning to the site: WARNING, OUR COMMUNITY IS AWESOME AND YOU MAY HAVE FUN. :D:D So glad you guys had a blast!

That is very true! If you're a negative nancy and want to stay that way don't sign up! :) 

robert and YogaByCandace like this

Hey YBC Yogis!!  

If you've read our 'In The Office' post from earlier this morning you already know that we have our first ever scheduled live chat session planned for this weekend! If you haven't heard the great news yet, click the link below for the full post :) and of course YOU'RE INVITED! The chat will start Saturday, October 10th 2015 from 1pm - 2pm EST. Candace will start off with a few questions and we'll go from there. We're so excited to get to know you guys better! 

you DONT wanna miss out! 

Chat SO soon! XO

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/2015/10/5/in-the-office 

scottcraft and robert like this

Hey YBC Yogis!!  

If you've read our 'In The Office' post from earlier this morning you already know that we have our first ever scheduled live chat session planned for this weekend! If you haven't heard the great news yet, click the link below for the full post :) and of course YOU'RE INVITED! The chat will start Saturday, October 10th 2015 from 1pm - 2pm EST. Candace will start off with a few questions and we'll go from there. We're so excited to get to know you guys better! 

you DONT wanna miss out! 

Chat SO soon! XO

http://yogabycandace.com/blog/2015/10/5/in-the-office 

Sounds like so much fun! Unfortunately I'll be helping sell Cub Scout popcorn tomorrow at that time, but I hope you guys have a good time!

YogaByCandace likes this

Just curious - do most people browse the forums on the computer or mobile device? I've noticed more critical mass of users online, but no one joined chst after me. It looks like it only shows that users are in chat on the computer, not the mobile devices. Are there notifications on mobile?

scottcraft likes this

4 hours ago, yogafire said:

Just curious - do most people browse the forums on the computer or mobile device? I've noticed more critical mass of users online, but no one joined chst after me. It looks like it only shows that users are in chat on the computer, not the mobile devices. Are there notifications on mobile?

I normally access this forum from my iPad. It does show if people are in the chatroom similar to a computer. Well it used to anyway, I haven't seen anyone in the chatroom in some time. 

So, fortunately this thread exists!

I've got a question about the automatic time out system where it kicks you out if you idle for too long? Is it really necessary? I mean, if you're being active in chat then there's no problem, but I really like just keeping a tab open with the chat and doing other stuff at times.

yogafire likes this

I can see why this feature exists. Some people forget  they clicked the chat browser, and then never look back. Before I would try to join chat but only realize that person was idle and eventually timed out.

A solution I have seen is to periodically just enter a period . to remain active (but idle), and if others are in chat, you don't disturb the flow of the conversation.  I first noticed this in a support chat group. Someone starts talking about an issue he or she are having, and people keep hitting . every few minutes just to let the main speaker know that others are actively listening (to not get kicked out for being idle) but not wanting to interrupt.  Just an idea, but unfortunately it still requires you to keep checking.

53 minutes ago, yogafire said:

I can see why this feature exists. Some people forget  they clicked the chat browser, and then never look back. Before I would try to join chat but only realize that person was idle and eventually timed out.

But isn't that the whole point of having a group chat though? I mean, without the timeout feature, you'd be able to check on the chat whenever you want (and if you would stop paying attention you'd only have to say that you'll be right back or something) without disturbing anyone else and you can still participate in chat at any time when you happen to return.

22 hours ago, jvanhouten said:

I've got a question about the automatic time out system where it kicks you out if you idle for too long? Is it really necessary? I mean, if you're being active in chat then there's no problem, but I really like just keeping a tab open with the chat and doing other stuff at times.

I went into the Admin Control Panel. The chat Inactivity Period setting  (When the user has been inactive for this amount of time, they will be automatically kicked from the room) was set to 20 minutes. I edited to 30 minutes. I don't know if there's a negative to the website with users being kept online during prolonged periods of inactivity. 

Hopefully that will help. 

38 minutes ago, jvanhouten said:

half an hour seems like a good enough time window to do something else

The time was chosen to correspond to the typical length of time of @YogaByCandace's YouTube videos. So, if you're not chatting, we'll give you enough time to fire up a video and exercise :Down-Dog:.

jvanhouten likes this

On March 19, 2016 at 9:01 PM, scottcraft said:

Hopefully I can chat with them again

Why not set a schedule?

For example, the first Thursday of each month at 8:30 EDT. This way interested people can plan on showing up, rather than relying on chance that others might be online when you're there.

A bit of a bump here, but I didn't want to start an entirely new thread so here goes!

Could it be possible to make a pop-up appear when somebody enters the chat room? I often log into the forum, seeing that there are like three people online, so I immediately join the chat room to see if anyone's there; however since the number of people in the chatroom doesn't get updated automatically, or people don't necessarily pay attention to it, I hardly ever get to chat :P

It would of course be too annoying to have a pop-up for each person joining or re-joining the chatroom after they idled too long. It may be better to have a pop-up that says if  there are any people in the chatroom or not, right as you log in and a pop-up that says when somebody entered the chatroom if you're already logged in :)

10 minutes ago, jvanhouten said:

A bit of a bump here, but I didn't want to start an entirely new thread so here goes!...

Thanks...that's the best option.

...Could it be possible to make a pop-up appear when somebody enters the chat room?...

The admin control panel only has these options...

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.02.49 PM.jpg

...so I don't think it's possible. 

I think the best choice for those interested in chatting would be to create a schedule so folk could arrange to meet

jvanhouten likes this

@LarryD517 I see, thanks.

Setting up a schedule isn't going to be ideal I think, since we've got people from all over the world :P also, it would be harder for new members to join in on the chat sessions, but I'm sure it'll work out haha!

1 hour ago, jvanhouten said:

Could it be possible to make a pop-up appear when somebody enters the chat room? I often log into the forum, seeing that there are like three people online, so I immediately join the chat room to see if anyone's there; however since the number of people in the chatroom doesn't get updated automatically, or people don't necessarily pay attention to it, I hardly ever get to chat :P

I think if people waiting in the chat room can turn on their sound, there's the "knock knock" when someone joins? Otherwise, we do get notifications of new posts to a thread... so we could just start a new thread that everyone posts in each time they join a chat, and then post when people enter.  I have seen new replies to threads I participated in in other windows before.  For example - do you see this post notification? I see you in chat!

Then, Larry can easily delete those threads to clean up the forum after the fact. :) 

jvanhouten likes this

You're right @yogafire, but the sound notifications only work when the chat tab is active, haha! That's why I didn't hear you in the chat when I was browsing other pages :P

yogafire likes this