Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allieoxenfree

Prenatal Yoga - Alternatives to Twists?

2 posts in this topic

Hi Candace! I know you are not certified in prenatal yoga, but hopefully this question is still answerable.

I am in my first trimester, and I am definitely still feeling good enough to keep up my regular practice. I have found appropriate modifications for many common asanas that I'm not comfortable with (e.g. supported bridge for wheel, modified cobra for upward-facing dog), but I'm really mystified about what to do instead of deep twists.

I don't feel comfortable doing ANY kind of deep abdominal twists--I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the baby, but it just physically doesn't feel great. So when I've been doing videos with twists, I've just been sitting or lying in place! Can you think of a couple of things I could do instead of a deep twist other than just standing or lying there? :)

Thanks!!

KimK and YogaByCandace like this

Congrats on your pregnancy! Like you mentioned (I say this for anyone else reading) - I'm not certified in pre-natal yoga, but I would just do something that DOES feel good. So, if you're following a video that's doing supine spinal twist, I'm just lay with the legs bent, feet at the edges of your yoga mat (so, way wider than hip distance) and let the knees kind of droop in and rest on one another. That usually feels nice for the low back. You could also do supta baddha konasana if that felt good. Basically, find what does feel good, and do that instead. :)