Jake

Home Studios

14 posts in this topic

I have been wanting to set up a good home studio, but there is carpet everywhere in my apartment. It isn't THAT bad, but I know it would be better if the ground was more firm. Pulling up the carpet is not an option :( 

I now have even more open space to work with, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/experience in building their own home studio - specifically over carpeted floors. 

Thanks! 

I have been wanting to set up a good home studio, but there is carpet everywhere in my apartment. It isn't THAT bad, but I know it would be better if the ground was more firm. Pulling up the carpet is not an option :(

I now have even more open space to work with, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/experience in building their own home studio - specifically over carpeted floors. 

Thanks! 

Oh man that's a tough one! I will keep thinking of a solution.... Oh wait! Just googled, and looks like there's a solution :)  But for $99 I bet you could just make your own... this might be stupid, but could you just get a sheet of plywood? 

I thought the same thing! So I went to Home Depot last night... 

Here is the album to my little project

I bought a .5" sheet of particle board, and had them cut it to 6.5' x 2.5'

Fit some old mats to the board, then screwed them down from the edges. 

It feels great! I'm Really excited to have upgraded my practice.

If anyone is interested in building one, it doesn't take long, and only costs about $20 if you have some old mats. 

This is a great idea--thanks! I am moving in a few days and my new place is fully carpeted and I was wondering how I was going to practice. I am going to try making one of these boards!

If I just bought the particle board and laid my yoga mat on top of it, do you think I'd be okay and the board wouldn't slide around on the carpet?

I practice on carpet also. I have hard floor in my house but my "yoga space" is in a carpeted room (for now). I find the balancing poses more difficult on carpet but just deal with it. When I go to the floor I find balancing somewhat easier because of my carpet practice! I do like the carpet because it is easier on my joints during floor work and when I go to the floor I use my memory foam mat. In my dreams I see a beautiful hard wood floor but for now carpet's what I've got!

dianeteresa likes this

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing!! I'm so doing this!! I practice on carpet too and I hate it!

Thanks everyone :)

It's still holding up strong! 

If I just bought the particle board and laid my yoga mat on top of it, do you think I'd be okay and the board wouldn't slide around on the carpet?

It would probably be ok - I like having the mats screwed to the board so it's a little softer, and my main mat doesn't slip around. 

laceyd and YogaByCandace like this

Thanks everyone :)

It's still holding up strong! 

It would probably be ok - I like having the mats screwed to the board so it's a little softer, and my main mat doesn't slip around. 

Thanks! =)

I have been eyeing those lifeboards but not feeling the cost. I have been considering a DIY but wasn't sure about appropriate materials and thickness. A plus to the lifeboard is it detaches in the center so it can be more easily stored, and I'm not sure where I'd shove a huge board that couldn't be detached (under the bed?). I may have to try this! I don't really hate using my thicker mat on carpet, but balancing can be harder, and I figure a flatter surface would be better to practice inversions down the road. Way, way down the road at this point, but it's still an aspiration!

Jake and YogaByCandace like this

I practice yoga almost exclusively in my own (carpeted) home. (Maybe when I'm not a college student any more I'll be able to go to classes!) I didn't even realize there would be such a difference between carpeting and hard flooring. I'm bookmarking this to make later!

Also, to those who are worried about space--perhaps hinging two smaller pieces together would work for storing it? It would create a seam in the center, which is something to consider.

YogaByCandace and Jake like this