Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maria

Elbow alignment in Chaturanga and long arms

3 posts in this topic

Hi Candace, I've been struggling with the "90 degree angle in the elbow joint" rule when doing chaturanga dandasana for years now. No matter how hard I try and how much strength I develop, it seems impossible for me to get that right alignment where the wrists are directly below the elbows in this pose. In order to keep my balance and not tip forward, my wrists have to be a bit more forward than the elbows. I've started to wonder if it has something to do with how long the arm bone (humerus) is. My arms are proportionally very long; my elbows extend below the top of the hip bone (iliac crest) when bent. While this is very handy in yoga poses involving binding - I'm like a gorilla :D - could it mean that I get too much weight on the upper part of my body in chaturanga? I've looked at many pictures of yogis having the correct 90 degree alignment and noticed that their elbows are somewhere around the lower rib cage, not the hips! What's your take on this?

Thanks so much for this forum and the opportunity to ask odd questions like these :)

YogaByCandace likes this

What was the answer to this question? I feel like I have the same problem. My arms are crazy long, so when I start in plank with wrists right under elbows/shoulders, and tip as far forward as I can on my toes, I still will not have a 90 degree bend in my arms. The top part of my arm is just too long.