RachelPotter

Advice on "mirroring"?

10 posts in this topic

I hope someone has some great tips to offer! I struggle with the same thing when teaching as does one of the teachers I take classes with. I feel like my brain just doesn't work that way! 

YogaByCandace likes this

I just do my best.  I work as a physical therapist and have to look at "mirror" right and left all day long and still mess it up all the time.  Honestly I just do the best i can.  I know one teacher who writes left on her right foot and vice versa!  I never stay on my mat the whole time so I move around the room and sometimes will face forward like them if I feel like I need to get squared away with my right and left. I also don't hesitate to ask the class "this is the side that we have not done yet correct?" or say things like "make sure you do the side you haven't done yet" (maybe they screwed up, maybe I did?) 

KristiSmithYoga likes this

I struggle with this, too! If it's reasonable to replace "right" or "left" with "front" or "back", then I'll do that. If I'm in the studio, I might say "face the blue wall". It's all mental gymnastics to me, though. Curious how others will respond :)

RachelPotter likes this

I just think opposite no matter what. So if I'm lifting the my left arm I know to say 'lift the right arm' because I know my left is actually the right. Don't know if that makes sense, but definitely think it's something that comes with lots of practice. 

I struggle with this, too! If it's reasonable to replace "right" or "left" with "front" or "back", then I'll do that. If I'm in the studio, I might say "face the blue wall". It's all mental gymnastics to me, though. Curious how others will respond :)

Yup I do a lot of "palm facing the windows" "foot towards the door you came in" etc

RachelPotter likes this

This is an interesting topic about mirroring. I'm speaking as a student from observation, not a teacher, but I just realized there are two instances that the teacher doesn't do mirroring, so I thought I'd share them in case you find it too difficult to continue. 

I took a class with the founder of the studio, who is a senior citizen.  When he demoed some of the poses, he didn't even attempt to mirror. He said "turn to the left" while he turned to his left, even though we were all facing him.  This was also a slower paced class, so that may be why, too.

The other time is when classes are set up in two rows that face each other.  We all do one side together, so no one mirrors during class. The teacher usually stands at either end of the two rows, and then just demonstrates using the same side.  I wonder if this is just a method for the teacher not to worry about "mirroring". Also, if someone gets the side wrong, no big deal, they just do the other side when we switch.

Hi, I received some great advice when I first began teaching. Wear something on the left hand and know that it means right. It could be jewellery or even something red, maybe a piece of string. Red on right is a good way to quickly adjust your mirroring. Cheers

yogafire likes this

Confession: I don't do it! I'm pretty new to teaching, and I teach in a beginner setting so I never have students that have been doing yoga for a long time and are used to teachers mirroring.  I remember when I first started, I was confused as to why the teacher was saying left and doing right.  I decided to work in this setting without mirroring, and to slowly work on practicing it.  This probably isn't good advice, I just wanted to share that if it's something that is seriously messing with your classes, just let it go and your students can still follow you!