KristiSmithYoga

Transitioning from corporate job to yoga teacher

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I am trying to transition from working a full-time corporate job to a career that's exclusively yoga-based, but my family strongly depends on my paycheck. Taking a pay cut is not an option because there is truly no place where we can cut expenses, and we rely on this stable source of income. I have been working hard and depriving myself of much-needed sleep to get my blog up and running, recording and editing video (voice-over and video editing are insanely labor-intensive, but I'm not ready to go the microphone route just yet), and fulfilling family obligations. I'm not complaining as it's truly a labor of love, but it's not at all sustainable.

Candace's blog post today inspired me to start this thread. I'm wondering if any of you have had similar circumstances? If so, would you be willing to share how you pulled it off? Any words of wisdom, advice, or resources worth checking out would be humbly appreciated. :help::48:

I have signed up for Candace's one-on-one blogging workshop, so I'm excited about this. My focus has been more on building myself online than within my own community due to (1) time constraints (I can blog at off-hours); (2) my husband helps me with video aspects, so it's kind of like a family project; (3) my community is super-saturated with yoga teachers, and I would far rather do yoga at the beach than in the studio. Current in-person classes I'm instructing are infrequent community classes; I have very limited availability regarding private sessions, but that availability is posted on my blog; and my focus is more on video (albeit I'm in the very early stages). I'd love to teach in person more, but I can't figure out how to pull that off, given my constraints.

So, thanks for taking the time to share! I know that I am not alone in this regard. Namaste, yogis! :13::5:

Hi Kristi

Firstly - well done for taking the first steps to moving towards a full time yoga based career! I made the move from my job in finance (it wasn't that well paid, or high up, I was a pensions admin girl - thrilling right?!) to teaching yoga on a full time basis last October. My blog runs along side my teaching. 

I don't have a family to look after and I have some savings to back me up 'just in case'. What pushed me to finally quit my day job was the fact that I was having to TURN DOWN teaching opportunities because I was still working full time. My boyfriend just told me to go for it. I think what you need to remember is that you aren't going to make as much money in your corporate job as you do yoga teaching and running a wellness blog. I have blogged for years (I started out as a beauty blogger - LOL!) and I am only just now beginning to see a little money drizzling in from it. Personally my aim for my blog is to get people to come to yoga class - whether that be with me if they are local, another teacher if they are not, or come to a workshop or a retreat. So I think you need to think - what is the aim of your blog? Blogging alone is probably not going to make you the money you need (at least not at first) to turn yoga into a full time deal. 

Can you go part time with your current job at all in order to free up time for blogging and teaching? When I first started out teaching I covered as many yoga classes as I could (summer is a great time to do this as a lot of teachers are away teaching at retreats or festivals) - so maybe speak to a few local yoga teachers and see what happens. The yoga teaching community here is super supportive and even though there are A LOT of teachers in my city there are still lots of classes to teach if you know where to look. I don't know where you are based but setting up local park or beach classes to take advantage of the warmer weather are always great! 

On another note you also have to learn to be super frugal. Maybe you are already, I don't know! But for me it was things like - I don't really need that £30 pot of face cream. The £5 will do just fine! 

As for resources - I find Alex Beadon's YouTube videos very helpful for business stuff. Twitter chats with #Hbloggers (health bloggers) can be good for networking - they are mostly UK based girls like myself and food bloggers but they are all lovely and helpful! Sometimes talking with like minded people helps! And of course YBC!

I hope that helped! Jayne x 

Thanks for the reply, Jayne! I've been considering blogging a little less (I'm currently blogging almost daily) so that I can focus doing other things to develop my business, which (of course) may mean teaching more classes. We have a great beach only a few blocks away, which I will likely use, along with some great parks. It would suck to have to turn down classes and private clients because of a full-time job!

I can't cut back to part-time, but I have this sense that things are going to do a 180 very soon. I don't know what that looks like, but every time I've had that sort of hair-raising feeling, somthing big has happened. Trusting the Universe here :)

I have been reconsidering what my focus actually is going to be. My blog is more about some of the other limbs of yoga than it is about the physical practice, despite my original intention to put out asana-related content and videos. Not that I'm not doing that, but I find that my posts lean more organically towards living a yogic lifestyle (not to be confused with consumerism, yoga fashion, etc.). Hence the re-evaluation. I'm doing a blogging one-on-one workshop with Candace on Saturday and am looking forward to it because I think it will help to calibrate my internal compass.

Thanks for your resource recommendations - I'm looking forward to checking out Alex Beadon, and to learning how to use the Twitter and Instagram accounts I created when I started blogging...that I have yet to really understand :huh:

You did help, so thank you! I really appreciate your response. Happy Tuesday! ~Kristi

Kristi,

Best wishes for your new adventure.  It sounds like you are patiently moving along, a difficult but smart pace.  I believe in you!  (Your blog looks great, btw.)

KristiSmithYoga likes this

Thanks, Lorelei! I feel like everything is starting to come together. Plus, I had a great one-on-one blogging workshop with Candace this morning, which gave me some great actionable insights. I'm excited to implement them.

I really appreciate the encouragement I've received here and from others elsewhere. It's very humbling :)

YogaByCandace likes this

I totally think that you'll be able to do it. You have the vision, a clear idea of what you want to accomplish and where you want to go with it, you have a great blog and you're doing things in a smart way by making calculated moves. I'm excited to see how this goes for you - I know you'll be successful because you have so much to share and are brilliant about how you share it. :13:

KristiSmithYoga likes this

I totally think that you'll be able to do it. You have the vision, a clear idea of what you want to accomplish and where you want to go with it, you have a great blog and you're doing things in a smart way by making calculated moves. I'm excited to see how this goes for you - I know you'll be successful because you have so much to share and are brilliant about how you share it. :13:

Thanks so much for your wisdom and your encouragement, Candace. This weekend has been beyond amazing! Aside from our workshop, I had multiple people - friends and an east coast yoga blogger - reach out to me or blog about my blog, which just serves to reinforce that things are heading in a great direction for me. I am excited about so many opportunities and hope to come back here in a few months with the follow-up that I quit my day job! Stay tuned, lol.

Thanks for providing such a great community space here. If I hadn't found your blog, I probably wouldn't have thought to venture out like I have been. *grateful* :):13:

Thanks, Anahata!

Things are coming together so incredibly so...I just posted my first 30-minute video, which is something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing 4 months ago. Now it's time to think about the next project. Candace gave me some great idea :)

EricaKaye likes this