Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Scale pose with hands inside

15 posts in this topic

I like doing Scale Pose.

5_scale-pose.jpg

I have no problem doing it and can keep my self elevated for as long as the instructor asks us to

In my mind, I call it the equalizer, since in my classes, I'm more of a beginner, unable to do a lot of the advanced poses...yet it's the only pose that I can do that the more advanced Gumby-like people struggle with.

In any event, I've seen some photos of Scale with hands inside their legs.

b16258b8043a440243e5e9b049632926.jpg

I can elevate with one hand inside but one outside, but if I try both inside, I can't do anything.

Is there any trick to this, more difficult, variation?

Thanks!

I would love to be able to do this pose. Candace would you do an instructural video on how to do this pose.

Sorry Larry I can't help you with your question.

YogaByCandace and LarryD517 like this

The secret to the pose is that you're really not pushing yourself up with your shoulders. Instead, what I do is put my hands as close to my hipbones as possible (sliding the thumbs underneath), then with arms rigid and locked straight (think of the stanchions on a suspension bridge) using the core, lift crossed legs upwards. To me, it's not a shoulder move (pushing down), but instead a stomach (pulling up) move.

Larry, There is no shortcut for that one, that I know. If you want to get both arms between the legs it requires a more open Lotus. Which is more open hips, external rotation of the femur – thigh bone. Work on it over time and the hips will open up. As you probably know those types of poses can put strain on the knees if forced. The knees should always be comfortable. Never force the knee to do something the hip is not able.

The first pose in your pictures is called Tolasana the English names are in there as well http://www.yogadancer.com/Pattra/ArmBalances.shtml#Tol

If you like these poses and Kukkutasana isn’t quite there for you just yet. You can try the next step at the bottom of the page Urdhva Kukkutasana

And you will see another, even more difficult pose in my first link, Karandavasana. But a picture does not explain that pose. It is a sequence to get in and out of the pose and you will need a video for that one. Of course you could always give it a try from the ground up instead of forearm-stand down.

The general order for all these poses is Lolasana, Tolasana, Kukkutasana, Urdhva Kukkutasana, Karandavasana

Mimi, I am not sure where you are at with this pose. But sometimes I have seen teachings for these types where people put blocks under their hands for more height. That seems sensible but I feel it is not helpful. That tends to push the shoulders up towards the ears. A person would benefit more with a block under their bum. That way they have to reach the hands and shoulders down which encourages the correct alignment in the shoulders and upper back, where the strength of the pose come from. The strength is held in the shoulders and upper back then the lower body lifts up. And you can also do it cross leg as well if Lotus is uncomfortable, even use the feet for a little extra lift but don’t rely on the feet too much.

Good luck to both of you and if you (or anyone) need more just come back here we will work on it. There is always a version of any pose for anyone.
mimisouth and LarryD517 like this

Neat! Larry, I like how you call it equalizer - good for you for identifying your strengths!

Anahata, can you explain what you mean by "more open" lotus?  How is there enough space in between your calves and feet to fit your arms through?  It's a very tight squeeze for me, so there's a lot of friction when I try to lift myself, so it's hard to lift evenly on both sides. I'm a short person, so, I don't think I have enough length in my legs to widen my lotus any further.  In the pictures you sent, it does look like a tight squeeze for most?  

I was just trying for fun. I am lacking the stamina to do Tolasana / Scale, so, I probably should first focus on that and be one of those people in Larry's class that struggle with it.   :D

LarryD517 and MrBalloonHands like this

Neat! Larry, I like how you call it equalizer - good for you for identifying your strengths!

Anahata, can you explain what you mean by "more open" lotus?  How is there enough space in between your calves and feet to fit your arms through?  It's a very tight squeeze for me, so there's a lot of friction when I try to lift myself, so it's hard to lift evenly on both sides. I'm a short person, so, I don't think I have enough length in my legs to widen my lotus any further.  In the pictures you sent, it does look like a tight squeeze for most?  

I was just trying for fun. I am lacking the stamina to do Tolasana / Scale, so, I probably should first focus on that and be one of those people in Larry's class that struggle with it.   :D

I’m sorry, I am not sure how to respond. Maybe we use different terminology? Lotus is a hip opening pose. More open hips is the same as more open Lotus, yes? External rotation of the femur – thigh, if we are sitting that is the top of the thigh turning outwards. Which is opening the hip joint. The more open we are in the hips the more room we have to adjust the thigh and shin to slightly different places. That gives more room to put the arms between the legs.
I don’t practice Kukkatasana, very seldom. It is very tight for my arms as well. I can do it but it is not a comfortable pose, it just doesn’t feel right so I let it be. I will leave it for our yoga stars like Larry. :)

Larry, I forgot before. Are you ready to try pick up and jump back? That is the flow version of these types. They say if you can pick up you are ready to try. 

If you want to get both arms between the legs it requires a more open Lotus. Which is more open hips, external rotation of the femur – thigh bone. Work on it over time and the hips will open up. 

Hi Anahata, sorry for the confusion, but I was quoting from this context.  I think a better question I meant to ask, what does it look like physically for open hips - knees closer to the ground or knees wider apart?  I always thought open hips meant knees getting closer to the ground in a pose like Baddha Konasana, which I can do. But, I don't see how that helps create more space to stick arms through in Kukkatasana.  That's why I was wondering if a "more open Lotus" meant spreading the knees wider apart, creating enough space for the arms?

If the latter, that's my issue - if I try to make my knees farther apart, then my toes can no longer reach and bind in Lotus. That's why I questioned if I'm too short to widen my lotus, or, if we are all supposed to experience friction and tightness when we stick our arms inside.

... I will leave it for our yoga stars like Larry.  :)...

LOL!

...Larry, I forgot before. Are you ready to try pick up and jump back? That is the flow version of these types. They say if you can pick up you are ready to try. ..

LOL...uh...NO! it usually takes me about a minute to unfold my legs!

Maybe there are some prep poses to help, such as here: https://youtu.be/hOR85qAijEU?t=50

And then the reason why it's so hard to lift up - the video demos how to roll into Kukkatasana: https://youtu.be/hOR85qAijEU?t=50

He shows a more gradual approach a few seconds later.

I would do this slowly using the gradual approach first... rolling around while in any bind seems dangerous to me, especially if you can't unfold your legs spontaneously. 

But have fun, like my one of my teachers said after demoing some wild looking poses - just play with it, don't worry about trying to "get" to the pose!

Hi Anahata, sorry for the confusion, but I was quoting from this context.  I think a better question I meant to ask, what does it look like physically for open hips - knees closer to the ground or knees wider apart?  I always thought open hips meant knees getting closer to the ground in a pose like Baddha Konasana, which I can do. But, I don't see how that helps create more space to stick arms through in Kukkatasana.  That's why I was wondering if a "more open Lotus" meant spreading the knees wider apart, creating enough space for the arms?

If the latter, that's my issue - if I try to make my knees farther apart, then my toes can no longer reach and bind in Lotus. That's why I questioned if I'm too short to widen my lotus, or, if we are all supposed to experience friction and tightness when we stick our arms inside.

Yes wow, I can understand now why this is not well understood. I tried to find something on the web to help explain but I found very little. Let's change the phrase 'more open' to more flexible. The more flexible a person is in Lotus makes it easier to move the thighs in and out, which is knees closer together or further apart. And the shins can also move to slightly different places or angles. Increased flexibility allows the shape of the pose to be adjusted safely. With more flexibility the shape of the pose can be adjusted to better suit different variations of the pose. The knees closer together may be considered a deeper version of the pose. And physical height of person is not a factor. The shape of the bones in the hip could be a small factor. 

Here are a couple of videos that might help explain. I couldn't find much but these are good.

LOL...uh...NO! it usually takes me about a minute to unfold my legs!

Tiny little steps and some good teaching.
The video you put in ‘NO’ is the final version after years of practice. It doesn’t show how to get there.
Follow along 2, 3, 4. #1 is to show what you are working towards to get started.

You have only been a few months with yoga? And can already pick up. If you work on it I know you will be able to do it Larry.
And don't be intimidated by the jump through to seated part in the videos. That is something completely different.

Please be careful with the knees. I tell myself this all the time. Injuries can occur quickly at the time. Or they deteriorate over months or years from over-stressing.
Chaturanga can injure the shoulders in many ways. Jumping back to Chaturanga places much greater stresses on the shoulders. Always be mindful of sensations during and after practice. Then adjust your practice if necessary.

@Mimi, I will do a tutorial on this when my ankle is healed. It's STILL giving me problems, especially when I try anything like cobbler's pose, so I know lotus will put a lot of stress on it. Sorry about that!! (where is the crying emoji?!)

mimisouth likes this

Ah fabulous Candace thanks. How is the ankle fairing? I hurt my back weeks ago sweeping the patio. The pain was unbelievable and the recovery frustratingly slow! I feel like I've lost all my strength progress!!