Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Marichyasana b...half lotus or not?

5 posts in this topic

I've been trying to bind (of course, with a strap) while doing the marichyasana series 

When I do "A", my hands aren't anywhere close.

When I do the "B" variety my hands get closer.

If I do it with (as I describe) the variety with my foot underneath...

post-549-0-80342900-1434639016_thumb.jpg

...on one side (sometimes) I'm able to link the fingertips, then work my fingers so that I'm clasping four fingers from each hand (go Larry!)

If I do the "B" variety with half lotus, I get a deeper bend as I fold forward, but my finger tips are still a few inches away from each other

post-549-0-55579600-1434639058_thumb.jpg

So, I thought I'd ask, which would be more beneficial...achieving a bind (first variety described above) or a deeper bend with the added benefit of what ever benefit one gets from half lotus?

Thanks!

Larry, you will likely get the best answer if you figure this out for yourself, with a little help.
What are you trying to accomplish? That is another way of asking what is your intention?
It looks like you are learning the Ashtanga Primary series. Are you trying to learn the series and get better at it? Or maybe just like the pose? Or maybe something else? It doesn’t have to be a deep profound answer, or it can be. You just have to know what you are trying to do before you can decide how to accomplish it.
The definition of asana is comfortable sitting.
That is an idea for a start. Give it a little thought and maybe we can continue to find a good answer to your question.

Basically I want to be more flexible. On my regular Saturday class we do the Astanga Primary, so I'd like to be able to achieve the pose fully. I practice on my own during the week, so I guess I can do both.

If you are working to become more flexible in general just keep practicing all aspects of the poses.
You already know this and know how to get there. I say this for reassurance not to scold. It sounds like you have made good progress since you started so you know how to accomplish this.
The only problem is you have chosen a very demanding and complex group of poses. There is actually 8 or 9 Marichyasana , a lifetime of work.

http://www.yogadancer.com/Pattra/Marichyasana.shtml#MarA (at the top of the page Marichyasana ‘A’ picture of the man on the right, I have never seen a twist before so I am not sure that picture is correct)

Maybe work on the first one or two, the easiest. And maybe even break that down into its basic parts and practice individual simple poses one at a time. A forward fold at the hips, hip opening, core strengthening for a long straight spine, some shoulder opening. And all-round basic seated practice will work well. If your group class is yang – a lively practice, then your own practice could be more yin – quieter longer held poses. That may make a nice balance. Or half of each. Try out different methods and find one that works well for you.

Thanks for the advice.
I will do both during my M-F private practice and on Saturday at the Ashtanga class, I'll do each every other week.

The only problem is you have chosen a very demanding and complex group of poses

Yup, I decided to tackle the demanding ones (within reason). I realized it may take a year or more to do certain things...all that means is I have never ending goals to continue to strive for!

The G and H varieties look like they should be illegal!

mimisouth likes this