yogafire

Ladies - how do you avoid panty lines when wearing tight yoga pants?

35 posts in this topic

Apologies, this is a rather personal question!  I just saw how nice some yoga pants look on other people, and am wondering what their secret is!

I wanted to know what everyone likes to wear underneath tight yoga pants.  I don't like thongs, so I am trying to figure out how to avoid panty lines, or if I should just suck it up and get used to wearing thongs (if that is what most people do).

I have switched to seamless and moved up a size for underwear, and then the waistband became too loose!  Do I just have a huge butt for my frame, or have I been wearing the wrong underwear sizes this whole time?

Haha...good question! Thongs are the only way I know of to go, and only the low-waisted version suffices for some of my pants. Unfortunately, I haven't had luck with anything else. I don't think it has anything to do with the size of your butt (despite not having a clue as to whether yours is really "huge", lol), as mine isn't big relative to my frame and as I can't wear anything but thongs without showing lines.

I don't know how others do it either, but I came across a brand of yoga pants on Kickstarter maybe 6 months ago that encouraged wearers to go commando. Haven't tried them. Also, despite how self-conscious you may be about your lines, I doubt anyone else thinks anything of them.

I'm curious what others may suggest...

Great question! I covered this on the blog when we did a whole post on embarrassing yoga questions and I took a poll of 100 women - some wore thongs, some didn't care and just rocked some regular old underwear, and some went commando. Some of my higher quality pants have extra fabric in the gusset and the ladies at the store told me it's because you're meant to go commando. Other times I'll wear a thong, but the type of thong really does matter. The ones with thin straps are no good - they'll dig in and move around when you move around. The wider band ones I've found to be best - I talk about them in that post. Hope that helps! 

I know lots of people go commando but I just can't do it lol! I like the thongs Under Armour makes. They are very soft and stretchy with wide sides. They also have other styles in the line that I haven't tried but they are all made out of the same material and claim to be seamless/no-show. I think they are 3/$30 so you could try one of each style and not be out to much $$. 

yogagrammy, yogafire and PaulaH like this

This is one of the reasons why I find yoga pants uncomfortable. For some reason they make me feel like I'm walking around in my underwear, in tights. I also find thongs deeply uncomfortable (ha!). I've always suspected that they are more comfortable for people who have narrowed hips than I do, mostly because I've yet to find a pair that works for me

Having said that, since it's getting super cold (below freezing most mornings) in my part of the world and I might consider joining a yoga studio in the future, I think the answer for me will be to wear a pair of shorts on top on any eventual yoga pants I buy. That way any possible underwear lines will be covered and I won't feel so naked. I'm just super selfconscious, what can I say?

FYI: in my part of the world, going commando is actually called gringo-style. Go figure!

I swear by seamless brazilian-style underpants. They stay in place nicely and don't cause any "chafing" during yoga...they don't even feel "thongy". To prevent stretching out after wearing and washing often, you should buy higher quality ones (which as usual means higher price). I highly recommend the seamless brazilian bottoms by Intimissimi (http://us.intimissimi.com/product/seamless-cotton-brasilian-panties/157834.uts?keyword=brazilian). Look for at least 13-15% spandex/lycra in the material composition when buying underpants for working out.

Wow, thanks everyone, this thread is very educational. :)

I didn't know what those brazilian-style underwear were called - I always thought they were just "wide thongs", but, maybe they are a good compromise between the full coverage underwear to thongs.  I just tried some boyshorts, but then I found out sometimes the material could bunch up and then show lines.. So.. less material seems to be the way to go.

Interesting about the extra fabric in the gusset - I don't have enough pants to not rewear them before washing, so, commando not a good option for me!

yogagrammy and YogaByCandace like this

This is one of the reasons why I find yoga pants uncomfortable. For some reason they make me feel like I'm walking around in my underwear, in tights. I also find thongs deeply uncomfortable (ha!). I've always suspected that they are more comfortable for people who have narrowed hips than I do, mostly because I've yet to find a pair that works for me

Having said that, since it's getting super cold (below freezing most mornings) in my part of the world and I might consider joining a yoga studio in the future, I think the answer for me will be to wear a pair of shorts on top on any eventual yoga pants I buy. That way any possible underwear lines will be covered and I won't feel so naked. I'm just super selfconscious, what can I say?

FYI: in my part of the world, going commando is actually called gringo-style. Go figure!

Hahaha ok now tell us where you're from! I need to know about gringo-style, haha that cracks me up! Also, just FYI from an instructor's point of view - I so, so, soooooooooooo don't care if anyone has visible panty lines. Any instructor who makes you feel otherwise can go kick rocks. <3

I swear by seamless brazilian-style underpants. They stay in place nicely and don't cause any "chafing" during yoga...they don't even feel "thongy". To prevent stretching out after wearing and washing often, you should buy higher quality ones (which as usual means higher price). I highly recommend the seamless brazilian bottoms by Intimissimi (http://us.intimissimi.com/product/seamless-cotton-brasilian-panties/157834.uts?keyword=brazilian). Look for at least 13-15% spandex/lycra in the material composition when buying underpants for working out.

This is a fascinating thread! I find brazilian style so uncomfortable! They just don't stay put for me. It's so interesting to read what everyone is/isn't comfortable with!  :)

yogagrammy likes this

I practice by myself at home so I don't really care about the panty lines that may show up during practice, but because I also wear my yoga pants a lot throughout the day (to walk my dogs, go to the supermarket, etc) I really don't want them to show when I'm outside!

And since I have quite a big butt and some nice (not) love handles I usually wear thongs with a wide sideband or brazilian style underpants like PaulaH mentioned!

Intimissimi, Sloggi and also H&M has some really nice underwear that are my go-to for yoga pants but also on everyday life too!
The simpler and less seamed the better! ;)

yogagrammy and PaulaH like this

Intimissimi, Sloggi and also H&M has some really nice underwear that are my go-to for yoga pants but also on everyday life too!

The simpler and less seamed the better! ;)

Absolutely. Four years ago, when I was 26, I decided I was done with choosing between "presentable underwear" and "home underwear". I went out and bought 15 pairs of comfortable, versatile and attractive undies at Intimissimi (my beloved Brazilians :) ). One of the best purchases I've ever made. I still have most of them, and they work for sports, daytime wear and date nights. So yes Vicky, I love the simplicity and practicality in that...at least in one part of my life is simple!

yogagrammy, Vicky and yogafire like this

I went shopping today and I couldn't find any yoga-specific trousers, so I ended up buying a pair of Everlast pants/leggings. Everything else I tried on was way too tight and uncomfortable and unflattering enough to make me want to flee the changing room. It felt like I was wearing a self-confidence destroying garment, not a pair of exercise trousers It makes me wonder what the yoga pants you get in the US are like, especially when it comes to the fabric. Are they all super clingy and thin, like tights?

I also looked for a pair at H&M, but I couldn't find anything to my taste and comfort level. H&M exercise bras are fantastic, though. Great support, super colourful. I'm thinking about buying an exercise tshirt, too. It gets so cold in the mornings!

Hahaha ok now tell us where you're from! I need to know about gringo-style, haha that cracks me up! Also, just FYI from an instructor's point of view - I so, so, soooooooooooo don't care if anyone has visible panty lines. Any instructor who makes you feel otherwise can go kick rocks. <3

This is a fascinating thread! I find brazilian style so uncomfortable! They just don't stay put for me. It's so interesting to read what everyone is/isn't comfortable with!  :)

I'm Chilean ☺

yogagrammy and YogaByCandace like this

I've got a pair of seamless underwear that I think are okay but other than that I'm happy to go to class with a visible panty line haha. I'm usually at the back of the class but even when the class faces another wall and people are behind me I'm just not bothered by it...I guess I just assume that nobody will notice. I'm not game to go commando. I've heard of too many leggings ripping stories to feel comfortable with that, probably another reason I wear normal underwear as backup  :lol:

Absolutely. Four years ago, when I was 26, I decided I was done with choosing between "presentable underwear" and "home underwear". I went out and bought 15 pairs of comfortable, versatile and attractive undies at Intimissimi (my beloved Brazilians :) ). One of the best purchases I've ever made. I still have most of them, and they work for sports, daytime wear and date nights. So yes Vicky, I love the simplicity and practicality in that...at least in one part of my life is simple!

oh, that's why I want to desperately find a type that works! instead, I have 1 of every kind of seamless underwear from different brands that I've been trying, which work for some pants and not for others. It's so confusing!  

I even tried boyshorts, and realized, the extra fabric can ride up when pulling up pants, so, maybe less is more functional in this case!

I think what feels comfortable is dependent on everyone's butt shape, what stays in place or not (a la Brazilians, which is why I'm so curious to try!).  I guess there is no good rule though.

Anyway, I didn't mean to buy more yoga pants today, but I was at a discount sports store and got these from prAna.  I was NOT wearing the "correct" type of underwear today. The material stretched over like compression tights, but without feeling uncomfortable, and I had no lines!  I looked at the website, and it described the fabric was "performance knit" with "shape retention", so maybe that's why it doesn't cling to my butt cheeks and show lines?  This was an exciting discovery for me - maybe we just need to find the right pants, not the right underwear? :D

I discovered that wearing thongs is the way to go! It is more comfortable once you get used to the idea & it puts my mind at ease when it comes to obsessing over my panty lines & continuously adjusting my underwear!

yogadk likes this

That's interesting!  While looking for some thongs to buy online, the most helpful online review (had 15+ helpful votes) was from a man who said that women's thong provided enough coverage. Glad they make some specifically for men.

Anyway, I've been trying out random single pairs of underwear while trying find just one to love and throw out the rejects. I discovered that cotton material is more important to me, which rules out all "seamless" underwear that is usually nylon or microfiber. So I am trying out cotton g-strings now with a triangle back. I tried a regular cotton thong, but I think it was too much material in the back. I also tried a hipster boyshort style, but the material didn't always stay put.

If this doesn't work, I'll buy some of the Brazilians that @PaulaH mentioned since they are made out of cotton! I fear the material will just ride up like the regular thong and some narrow bikini cuts I have, but, I've tried almost every style possible now except for Brazilian.

yogagrammy likes this

I'm a thong girl all the way. I'm not sure about going commando though. I guess that would be ok but I just never do.

I always wear a thong. Not G-strings by any means, but the wider bands that fit more snuggly and don't move around. I'm usually super comfortable then! I don't go commando because I've heard that's not good for your vagina health, but I'm not sure how true that is. I just find going commando uncomfortable and my thongs work just fine!

This is a problem with equestrian riding too. Panty lines when you switch over to tights in the summer. I detest thongs and you do NOT want to go commando when you ride a horse (no, just no.) If you want to sport the VPL look without the VPL look, look for yoga pants/exercise pants or even go to an equestrian store and buy tights that have a seam running right where your panties would be (especially if you wear hiphuggers like I do!) If, uh, hides VPL rather cleverly. You will have to pay more because of the fancy seams, but you've got no panty lines!

These Champion capris are a good match for hiding VPL.

http://www.champion.com/shop/champion/womens-workout/workout-bottoms/all-workout-bottoms/champion-shape-womens-capri-cm9930

Nice idea!  The seams don't really cover where I show though (in the back buttocks area).  I just got this email from Athleta today advertising a skirt over capris for "more coverage", but I haven't seen this trend catch on around here.  What do others think? I remember seeing some runners wearing tights and running shorts over the tights, but, not really in yoga.

cn11673247.jpg

As I mentioned before i do not wear thongs because of panty lines, only for comfort.

And personally i don't care that much about panty lines when I'm doing yoga, when i do yoga I care about doing yoga and being comfortable while doing it.
If that means wearing my favorite tights which are a bit see thru, but are the most comfortable i wouldn't care because I'm just doing yoga :)

When all of that is said, I do care a bit - since its not socially accepted at least in Denmark that men wear thongs, so i do my best not to show that, apparently its really gorse - I have heard.

@yogafire I don't do yoga classes, but I wear long sort of tight shirts (most people might qualify them as minidresses) over pants. Skirts wouldn't be so bad for existing pairs.

You may want to look into full seat equestrian tights from a brand like Kerrits. Their breeches and equestrian tights are some of my favorite and, yes, I use them for yoga. A full-seat breech might help you with if you find the VPL more in your back seat. A full-seat, unlike the kind I use (knee grips), has either a suede or just extra fabric around the seat down to the knees to help riders sit really deep into the saddles (and I should probably invest in a pair as I'm cantering.) This one is just extra fabric and probably a good fit for yoga. I wouldn't suggest the IceFil as they have little grips down the legs and back so keep us riders in the saddle! Sales are seriously my friend for breeches. :) SO EXPENSIVE. If you live near a Dover...definitely try before you buy. 

http://www.doversaddlery.com/kerrits-flex-tight-ii/p/X1-35090/

@yogafire at Target, they have these great Champion exercise pants that I just bought (ON CLEARANCE) that hide panty lines super well. They are blue galaxy looking pants and I don't know if it's just the pattern or the extra layer, but I get a tiny bit of VPL on the sides (which I really don't care about honestly) and zero on my behind! Maybe it's the pattern that helps?

They're on clearance (and this is the only picture I can find of them online) for like $20:

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/50077464?wid=480&hei=480

yogafire likes this

That’s a nice article. I also like yoga pants but I buy good quality pants that are quite comfortable and have no see-through qualities. Mostly, I buy my stylish workout clothes from Carbon38.com and have always received great stuff.

So men have also problems with boxer lines. Recently, I bought two new pair of pants. I think this is the first time I wear tight pants as a man. I have also loose shorts. So I wonder what I should wear.

So I have three options:

What is a good option for a yoga class?

Best and many thanks in advance!