Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Pre- and Post- run stretches

3 posts in this topic

I do yoga every morning and am (finally) getting more flexible. 

I also run (jog?), occasionally, maybe once a week or so, in the nicer weather. When ever I run, the next day's yoga isn't fun (it's as though I'm as inflexible as I was when I first started doing yoga).

Before I run, I try to do a bunch of stretches (forward folds, fan, pyramid, bashful warrior and a few others). After running, I try and spend 5 minutes or so, doing a few stretches (similar to my pre-run routine), mainly attempting to target the hamstrings.

In any event, I did a 5k yesterday (shameless plug I ran to raise awareness and funds for a local soup kitchen https://www.crowdrise.com/cskmorristown/fundraiser/larryd517) and today, my hamstrings are sore.

I did a mini-yoga session (15 minutes) today, deciding not to push it (you see, Candace, I listened to your advice!).

Does anyone have a good routine for before and after to minimize discomfort.
Thanks!

Hey good for you getting in some cardio (I loathe cardio!). Here's my pre-run sequence - it's got a lot of heart opening stuff because I find that when we run, we often hunch over a bit, the shoulders sometimes round and the chest collapses a bit, so my intention was to open up the front body. My post-run sequence is more for the hips because I am always super tight after a run, especially in the hips and low back. But I've received feedback that a lot of people who follow these two sequences switch them and do the post-run as their pre-run and vice versa. So feel free to play around and switch them up. 

LarryD517 likes this

I love to run and then do yoga right after - I really feel a difference in recovery (and runners' high). Before I do each run I always walk first then do some frankensteins and butt kickers and then hip openers. If my legs are really tight I'll do light stretches. especially those hams.  After I run If I don't have time to do yoga I will do the pyramid stretch, runners lunge, pigeon and triangle

. :meditation-yogi: