Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Yoga on the beach

6 posts in this topic

I'm going to the beach (LBI, which is on the Jersey shore, but is most definitely, NOT The Jersey Shore!) next week. 

I'm looking forward to trying yoga on the beach, especially a real sun salutation to the sun (Full disclosure I only do moon salutations after too many beers...LOL)

Do I bring my fancy new Jade mat (thank you for the recommendation, Candace)? I'd prefer not if it would get loaded with sand or is tough to clean. I'm also afraid of it losing its stickiness.

I have another mat (cushion-y thick) that doesn't have the nooks and crannies for the sand to get in. Or should I just bring a big towel or sheet? The sand at the beach is soft, it's not hard packed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

YogaByCandace likes this

We did beach yoga during a retreat last year. We just took beach towels and it worked pretty well. It was slow flow so it didn't bunch and move so much that it was a distraction but I did have to fix it every once and a while because I'm fussy! I have also seen others doing sun salutations in the morning on the harder packed sand by the water with no mat or towel. Guess it's just a personal preference. 

I am also going to the beach this week and if there is room in the car I'm planning on tossing in my old, cheap mat that I started out with. Definitely not taking my nice mat! I don't want it all sandy! If there is not, I'll stick with the beach towel. 

Hope you have a great trip-and save those moon salutations for the "other" Jersey Shore!  ;)  :)  :D

yeah i am worried about the jade mat because it's open cell construction, so it does sort of have those little nooks and crannies. I would take the other mat, which is likely a closed cell construction that you should be able hose off and lay flat in the shade to dry afterwards..... hope that helps, let us know what you ended up using!

Okay, so I tried yoga on the beach. In some cases itt's a lot harder, the wind blows you around during the standing balance poses, but it's kind of neat how the sand forms around your foot for greater stability. I used a beach towel.

The photos of people, practicing on the beach make it look so easy and graceful, it's not!

But it's fun!