LaurenYBC

Yoga Student Confessions

17 posts in this topic

Hey YBC'ers!! Happy Friday! I'm working on a guest post and I'd love some input from you guys - BONUS: you might even be featured on the blog!

Candace and I would love to hear all your deepest darkest confessions: What is it that you REALLY think during a yoga class? You know, the thoughts we should be pushing away but creep in anyway! Ready, set, go!

MrBalloonHands and mimisouth like this

"Oh my god is this ever going to end" when our teacher is making us hold plank or sit in chair for 2 minutes!

my mind often wanders during yoga... Thinking about work, what I'm going to have for tea. Who farted during class..

I practice alone with Candace's videos at home and my most thought thoughts are:

"I need to sweep this floor" (when I see a lot of dust or dogs' hair..hahaha)

"My feet need some moisturizer cream" or "I need to paint my nails" while in forward bends...

"Damn...this hair got away while waxing/shaving" also in forward bends, which is the reason I don't like practising in shorts! They get me distracted...!

"What time is it? Is the food ready yet?", when doing yoga while I have the food in the oven.

"Will this stupid bird shut up already?" when my ringneck parrot decides to scream while I try to relax and concentrate.

As far as specific postures are concerned I mostly go with:

"How the hell is she doing this?" and "when is it going to end?" mainly in some DownDog/Plank/Chaturanga combination that Candace likes to go over a few times and it burns my shoulders! 

I think that's it!

...Candace and I would love to hear all your deepest darkest confessions: ...

I'm a guy, most of the class are gals

You really don't want to know our deepest, darkest confessions, do you?

Sorry...you asked

But, to keep it family oriented I often wonder if the others are struggling while posing. It feels so difficult but many make it look so effortless

LaurenYBC and mimisouth like this

"Chair pose, again?"

"Nope. Can't hold plank/chair for this long. Sorry not sorry."

"Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait."

"HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Nope."

"Why must transitions be so hard?"

"Am I the only one out there who can't do chaturanga to upward facing dog without resting my chest on the mat? Yeah, I am."

"Chair, again?"

"Oh, this feels nice!"

"Almost there."

"When will this end?"

"Please, cat, don't jump on my lap/back/shoulders"

Most of the time, I'm just mentally taking notes for when I teach next...what works (for me) and what doesn't:

"This adjustment doesn't feel good/isn't accomplishing much/is great!"

"This modification (that's intended to help me) complicates this pose and is unnecessarily awkward"

"My arms are tired...I'm going to go into child's pose...I wonder if anyone is wondering why another yoga teacher can't handle this pose?"

"I wish we'd do half moon/dancer's pose/headstand/etc."

"OMG, class is over in three minutes and we still haven't transitioned into savasana?" (THE absolute worst of the bunch!)

Normally, my mind doesn't wander much, though.

• When a teacher has brought us from one side (3 breaths), to the next, and then decides to help a student, leaving us on that one side for 6, 7, 8, 9 breaths: "Oh come ON ALREADY!"
  • "I need to email Seth" (my web developer)
  • "Did I turn the oven off?"
mimisouth, LaurenYBC and AnaTeresa like this

Honestly, it's really tough to think of anything during class.

The concentration needed (not only for balance poses, but for really deep stretches) doesn't permit me to think about extraneous matter. 

It's hard enough getting into some positions...why make it more difficult?

"Chair pose, again?"

"Nope. Can't hold plank/chair for this long. Sorry not sorry."

"Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait."

"HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. Nope."

"Why must transitions be so hard?"

"Am I the only one out there who can't do chaturanga to upward facing dog without resting my chest on the mat? Yeah, I am."

"Chair, again?"

"Oh, this feels nice!"

"Almost there."

"When will this end?"

"Please, cat, don't jump on my lap/back/shoulders"

you have me DYING over here!! We basically have the same brain.

Hildegard likes this

Honestly, it's really tough to think of anything during class.

The concentration needed (not only for balance poses, but for really deep stretches) doesn't permit me to think about extraneous matter. 

It's hard enough getting into some positions...why make it more difficult?

I know :( I just cant help myself, my mind always waunders. Its something I have to work on for sure!

Oh what a great topic lol!!

Ok here are my very often recurring thoughts

"What my --- looks this werid when I do warrior a? Why does my --- look this WEIRD!?"

"I am thirsty. Can I drink water now? No one else is drinking water, why is no one else drinking are they freasks? Is there a rule against drinking water during yoga class??!! Yeah I am sure there is a rule and I keep breaking it and now everyone knows I actually do not know ---- about yoga"

"Yeah look at me getting that leg up high, much higher than -Miss I am so awesome at yoga- oh effit now I did it again comparing myself and thinking unyoga-thoughts and everyone else is in zen and I am stuck in worldly stupid thoughts that will never bring inner peace. Crap."

YogaByCandace likes this

Right after a tiring flow, time to do down dog for 5 breaths: "I wonder the teacher is going to rest(!) in downward dog with us, or will he choose to walk among us as usual... yep he walks again..."

When there is mostly women in class and teacher says we will pracitce arm balances today : "YES!!!"

When the class goes upavistha konkasana (and for me this is no different than basically sitting up straight with wide legs) : "how could I possibly have thought that I could become a yoga instructor EVER"

Finally at shavasana: "I wonder what the teacher is doing now.... Is her eyes open? .... What if I am the only one with the eyes closed?? ..... must resist the urge to take a peek "

When you wake up with the teachers voice and you realize you fell asleep in shavasana. "Oh ----!!! Ok where are we now, are we still laying or did we already roll to our right side already? Shut up and listen to the sounds already... listen!!"

When class is doing warrior 3 and you lose your balance and fall, look around,see the woman next to you doing a perfect warrior 3: " What if I give her a little push with my point finger hihihi"

With Love,

Serdar