Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaByCandace

Want To Share Your Incredible Yoga Journey?

10 posts in this topic

I've talked a bit before about how I am fascinated by people's yoga journeys. (Here's mine.)

Do you have an incredible life story in which yoga has played an integral part? 

Would you want to share it with the world? 

I'm working on a new series and am looking for some people to feature. 

Requirements: 

-willingness to share your story

-willingness to share a few photos of yourself (doesn't have to reveal your face). Photos need to be high quality, high resolution.

-willingness to share your first name, age, and country

Just fill out this form if you are interested.

MrBalloonHands, Turi and yogagrammy like this

Hi Candace I just started in this beautiful road of yoga about 8 months ago , and I feel like I have found suck an amazing way of life filled with such power ,so I wonder if it counts , even though my story is just at its very beginning

I don't know if I have an incredible life story, but I am more than willing to share it. I will email you.

I've talked a bit before about how I am fascinated by people's yoga journeys. (Here's mine.)

Do you have an incredible life story in which yoga has played an integral part? 

Would you want to share it with the world? 

I'm working on an upcoming post and am looking for some people to feature. 

Requirements: 

-willingness to share your story

-willingness to share one photo of yourself (doesn't have to reveal your face)

-willingness to share your first name, age, and country

Just reply in this thread or in a PM and I will email you with details within the next two weeks.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad to know that I am not alone after reading this sentence: "A confession: I know so many people who started to seriously practice yoga in the wake of some unfortunate, traumatic event. "  

Luckily, my trauma wasn't that debilitating, but it succeeded in making me start taking the practice more seriously. And then, three years later when I experienced a lot of emotional turmoil, my yoga practice really helped me get through it.

Do you want me to send the details in a PM, or just wait for more details?

YogaByCandace likes this

Not a really fascinating story but I do have a story I'm willing to tell. I'm sure it is similar to many but I love what yoga has done for me and would love to help any other slightly older person start their yoga journey. Or maybe my story would have some influence on a younger person to start now and not wait. 

YogaByCandace, Turi and Reggi like this

Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad to know that I am not alone after reading this sentence: "A confession: I know so many people who started to seriously practice yoga in the wake of some unfortunate, traumatic event. "  

Luckily, my trauma wasn't that debilitating, but it succeeded in making me start taking the practice more seriously. And then, three years later when I experienced a lot of emotional turmoil, my yoga practice really helped me get through it.

Do you want me to send the details in a PM, or just wait for more details?

I will send details soon to the email you signed up with. Thank you for the willingness to share - I think this will be a great series. Really inspirational for other readers <3

Hi Candace! How much editing do you prefer to do with these stories? In the form link above, do you want us to paraphrase and only mention highlights / significant milestones? And then you'll follow up with more details in a PM? Or are we supposed to submit the story in its entirety as if it would be published word for word on the blog?

YogaByCandace and yogagrammy like this

Hi Candace! How much editing do you prefer to do with these stories? In the form link above, do you want us to paraphrase and only mention highlights / significant milestones? And then you'll follow up with more details in a PM? Or are we supposed to submit the story in its entirety as if it would be published word for word on the blog?

Hi! Just give me a little summary of your story in the form above (first post) and you'll receive an email within a few weeks. I conduct an interview, you type out your answers and I make only slight changes to make it flow since I take out the questions in the post. :) Looking forward to reading everyone's stories! 

From the link above:

"A confession: I know so many people who started to seriously practice yoga in the wake of some unfortunate, traumatic event."
I found this very interesting.

I have practiced yoga for long time. At first I was not very serious but stuck with a short simple practice to relax at the end of the day. About 6 years ago I had an accident with severe damage to my left foot. I didn't realize how serious this was when it first happened. I thought it would be 3 months in a cast and crutches then I would be fine after that. After about 2 months I was told that I may never walk again without a walker or walking canes, quickly develop arthritis, it would always be painful and I would need special shoes made. All for the rest of my life. None of this happened. I will get back to that shortly. I didn't believe this at first until I saw other people with similar injuries and the condition they were in. Then it started to sink in. Physiotherapy turned out to be a disaster. Pathetic? Incompetent?

I went home, not in vary good shape at this point and tried to review my options. The best I could come up with was move a great distance away for high quality and expensive physiotherapy. At that point I decided the only way I would get better was to attempt to do it myself. I took what I had learned from my yoga practice and started working on my foot in a way that I thought best. A week later I was walking without crutches, 1 week. It wasn't pretty but I was walking. After that it took me about 6 months of work to get back to somewhat normal walking.

It turns out that I had learnt a great deal more from my practice than I thought I had.

After that my practice became one of the most important things in my life. I never miss a day. I know we are suppose to take one day off a week but I never do. My practice is usually 1 hour of strong power flow or Ashtanga then another hour of more gentle or restorative. Now, my foot and the rest of me is in far better shape than before the accident.