Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yogafire

Another question for ladies - have you received unsolicited compliments while wearing yoga / workout clothes?

7 posts in this topic

Just wondering if this is a normal thing and if I am overreacting?  Apologies if this sounds like a humble brag, but I'm curious how others would have reacted. Do I feel strange and self-conscious about my clothing because it was my first time to have something like this happen? I'm average-looking and normally don't wear make up, so perhaps I'm just not used to receiving harmless compliments?

I have some Nike dri-fit shorts I like that fit tightly and tend to ride up when I move and run.  I was jogging to yoga class late afternoon, and a man (20s-30s age) passed me in the opposite direction on the sidewalk, and said "Nice legs! Take a look!"  But he kept going without stopping, so no chance for me to respond.  I sort of laughed to myself but then felt very self-conscious because I realize my shorts are very short. This is being petty on semantics, but, I think I would have felt less weird (less objectified) if the man said, "You have nice legs," instead.

I originally shrugged this off, but then I realized I am want to buy a second pair of the same shorts (after trying other shorts that are longer but not a good fit in the front), and now I'm hesitant!

PaulaH likes this

I think if you like the shorts and want another pair you should definitely buy them! They're clearly a flattering cut on you :) I hope that man and his comment don't make you feel self-conscious in them. I think those sorts of comments from a friend, family member, or partner are appropriate but from strangers, especially running past in the street don't always make people feel very good, in fact can make us feel quite yuck!

yogagrammy and yogafire like this

Ugh, nothing makes me want to jump out of my skin more than a comment and move like that. To me, that's cat-calling, and very different from someone walking right up to you and saying to your face, "Hey I hope this doesn't come off as creepy, but I just wanted you to know I think you're beautiful." 

Thank you both for validating how weird I felt!  But Jasmine brought up a good point - don't let that make me feel self-conscious permanently!

I am buying more shorts. The weather is too hot for me to care about strangers.  :)

Definitely buy the shorts! Why waste time worrying about creeps like that guy :) I agree it was wrong and rude but you might as well take it as a compliment (a poorly phrased compliment!) and keep rocking the cute shorts that you feel good in! 

yogagrammy, Vicky and YogaByCandace like this

Yes, I HATE receiving any kind of comment like that when working out, and it never fails to make me feel violated and inexplicably angry, even though I assume the intention was a different one. I know this may sound like a complete overreaction, but comments like the one mentioned above leave me feeling dirty instead of good. I agree with Candace, a compliment can be worded much differently for a different effect. In fact, I also really dislike when people blatantly check me out when I run, which is when I don't want to care about how I look. For this reason, I run at dusk or sunset about 96% of the time. I am aware that I can't control other people's "looking", so I adjust to avoid it.