Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ohpayk

M-F Practice

10 posts in this topic

I often find myself only practicing M-F and not on the weekends. I feel like I spend Mondays undoing the stiffness from the weekend. I was curious what other people's opinions about how often they practice and the progress they feel like they're making.

YogaByCandace likes this

I find that I am the opposite. I have so much going on during the week that, often, the only 'practice' I get in during the week is leading the classes that I teach. Weekends are usually when I crack down and go take class, or set up in the spare room and do my own practice.
Admittedly, I need to practice more often. I have been rather stagnant for a while now, so I'm trying to work up the energy just to do some simple restorative postures before bed during the week, just to keep me in it - or get back into it, ya know?

I'd love to say I practice every day, and I'm sure my students think that I do, but the truth is, there are weeks when I don't practice at all. Something to work on for certain.

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

I practice twice a day everyday. Sun Salutaions ( <---please read the link) in the morning and a full practice in the evening. I understand that this takes a lot of time and may be very difficult for some. The little trick is to do just one Sun Salutaion in the morning. Of course we can't just do one so once we get started we do several. At least that is something for the day, something very good. If I didn't have a full practice in the evening everyday I know I wouldn't progress or stay as strong. Some progress comes quickly. Other I measure in years. 

Generally it is recommended to take one rest day per week or one rest rest day every 4th day. But I don't want to! I don't feel it's helpful for me either. 100 minutes of Ashtanga is good for me. Half, 50 minutes of Vinyasa doesn't seem like very much. Every person is different so you have to experiment, change things around and find what works good for you. I think that is likely the most important part. 

Great topic! I practice every day but the amount of time varies as does the type of yoga. Sometimes I'll do 20 minutes of yin, sometimes I'll do an hour and a half ashtanga. I do a lot of weight lifting so I feel like if I don't practice yoga I get so, so tight from the weight lifting. The yoga keeps things in balance for me.

AnaTeresa likes this

I'm the opposite.. I try to practice for 30 minutes each day in the week (15 minutes hip opening if I'm really pushed for time) then at the weekend I have more time so practice 60 minute session...

AnaTeresa likes this

I practice yoga Monday and Wednesday at the studio and one other day during the week at home, I usually use this day as my short practice or recovery day. One weekday I lift weights and one day I run. The weekends I use for a long run and a long hour+ yoga practice. I am flexible in my practice schedule, it really depends on what activities the kids have and if I'm able to carve time out of the day for me! Right now I am able to do 6-7 days but in the fall it will likely be more like 4-5. 

@ ohpayk If you are busy on the weekends maybe a quick 20-30 minute practice early in the day will help keep you on track so Mondays don't feel so stiff. Or even just a few sun salutations before you hit

I practice yoga Monday and Wednesday at the studio and one other day during the week at home, I usually use this day as my short practice or recovery day. One weekday I lift weights and one day I run. The weekends I use for a long run and a long hour+ yoga practice. I am flexible in my practice schedule, it really depends on what activities the kids have and if I'm able to carve time out of the day for me! Right now I am able to do 6-7 days but in the fall it will likely be more like 4-5. 

@ ohpayk If you are busy on the weekends maybe a quick 20-30 minute practice early in the day will help keep you on track so Mondays don't feel so stiff. Or even just a few sun salutations before you hit

I shoot for 4-5 days a week. Would love it to be every day, but working 12 hour shifts, on my feet all day, really makes it hard. By the time I get home from work, it's pretty much "eat dinner, shower, catch up with the hubby then off to bed". I tried waking up earlier to get a short practice in before work, but morning yoga is not my thing. I'm too sleepy and too stiff feeling, plus I feel rushed. If I don't get a practice in, though, I always make sure to fit at least a 5 minute (hopefully longer) meditation practice in at some point!