YogaByCandace

What Do You Do For Work And How Does It Impact Your Body?

32 posts in this topic

Apart from walking my dog for an hour and taking a shower, I have literally sat in front of my computer all day long ( over ten hours - major tech problems today, ugh!) and it started irritating my left hip and radiating into my low back. Gah! I'm a yoga teacher, yeah, but in running YBC I am always at my computer and the constant sitting impacts my hips and low back.

It got me thinking about how people's jobs directly impact how their bodies feel. I have some friends who are massage therapists and they've always got tennis elbow, other friends are teachers and their feet always hurt.

Does your job impact how your body feels? What do you do about it? 

Jilliebabe and yogagrammy like this

I work at my computer all day, 4 days a week and have definitely suffered from tight hips, stiff neck and tight chest and arm muscles. I get massages twice monthly to help as well as doing yoga and getting chiropractic adjustments monthly. I think the thing that has shown me the most improvement is regular yoga classes. I am have only been going for almost a year but I really have more range of motion and less discomfort. I especially love yin yoga which I think is helping a great deal. Sometimes I get so busy that I forget to take a break every 20 minutes or so to get up and stretch. Think I need to set a little timer to stay on track with that. :-)

mimisouth and yogagrammy like this

I work at my computer all day, 4 days a week and have definitely suffered from tight hips, stiff neck and tight chest and arm muscles. I get massages twice monthly to help as well as doing yoga and getting chiropractic adjustments monthly. I think the thing that has shown me the most improvement is regular yoga classes. I am have only been going for almost a year but I really have more range of motion and less discomfort. I especially love yin yoga which I think is helping a great deal. Sometimes I get so busy that I forget to take a break every 20 minutes or so to get up and stretch. Think I need to set a little timer to stay on track with that. :-)

I

I feel the same way as you. I work at my computer, 5 days a week, around 10 hours per day with minimal walking. My shoulders hurt really badly after I graduate from school (slouching every time!) and enter the workforce. I go for a massage at least once a month previously, and usually the shoulders hurt again the next day. Even the therapists say that the knots in my shoulder are so tight. Then came yoga, probably the only thing that worked for me. Feel my shoulders loosening and it doesnt hurt anymore. :)

I sit in front of my computer way too many hours too. Also I drive my car quite a lot, because my job involves changing location. Both are really bad for the body and I feel it in my right hip especially. I think it has to do with the fact that when I´m driving my right foot is constantly straining over the gas pedal. Tight shoulders too.  :(

My favourite exercise is running. And that is actually not really all that helpful, because it´s such a repetetive motion. 

Yoga is my primary fix. A little bit in the morning, a little bit during the day whenever I can, a longer flow in the weekends. Warm up before running and cooling off afterwards, I feel like I´m getting really old with all of those preemptive measures, that are necessary in order to function!  :P

yogagrammy, Laura and YogaByCandace like this

Ugh... I sit ALL day! It has gotten to the point where my co-workers know when my back and hips get too tight; I let them know I have a conference with "Candace" for the next 20 min or so and not to disturb! Yoga on the floor of your office is kind of awkward! I loved the office chair video you posted, and have shared the link with the whole office. I'm starting to get a reputation, and I love it!

I taught middle school science the past two years. I was on my feet a lot and I found myself hunching over students' lab desks very frequently. All of the hunching affected my posture and I realized that I'd hold tension in my shoulders and upper back; I really noticed it when I had time to consistently practice yoga. I'd try to fix it by remembering what my body felt like when doing yoga (does that make sense?). I ran and coached soccer too, so I'd try to remember proper running form to work on my posture.

YogaByCandace and yogagrammy like this

I also sit the majority of my day. I do ultrasound and I get a lot of back and shoulder pain from reaching over my patients to scan, as well as low back and hip pain from sitting the majority of my day :/

yogagrammy and YogaByCandace like this

Same things here: a lot of typing and clicking sitting still all day long. 
Tight hips, stiff neck, tight chest and arm muscles, and radiating into my low back - all of them together. 
Trying to make 30-minutes breaks, but... I think I need a timer too ))
yogagrammy and YogaByCandace like this

I work 10 hours a day, 4 days a week in front of a computer as a customer service supervisor for a major online retailer. My shoulders, lower back and hips suffer from tightness. On top of that I take escalated calls all day from people all over the world. 90% of them are angry about something. So I deal with a lot of negativity which has a profound effect on my stress level and my energy. When the work day is over I feel physically cramped and emotionally drained. I am thankful for yoga and meditation because it is the very best way to relieve my cramped body and let go of all the stress and negativity that collects throughout the day. I spend at least an hour right after work practicing yoga and no less then 20 min of mindful meditation so that I can be an attentive, patient mom of 3. It's important to me that my work stress never spills into my home life.

YogaByCandace and yogagrammy like this

Retail... It's a bear ;) I'm really fortunate to not have to sit all day (did that at my last job, blech,) but the constant motion can get tough. During peak season standing in one place for 8 hrs + is the worst. Back, knees, ankles, feet. Yowch!

I also work part time at a riding stables & shoveling constantly tightens the shoulders and neck up like mad.

I'm a night shift nurse at a small rural hospital. I work 3-4 12 hour shifts a week. We train in all areas of the hospital because we don't do specialized areas. All areas are special to a rural hospital nurse! It's feast or famine. We're either running our legs off or sitting at computers (no written charting anymore!) I take the quiet nights to catch up on all my yoga studies! My feet and lower back tend to give me the most trouble along with my left shoulder from my chest to mid back. Computer work I guess. Yoga saves me as does massage and chiropractic visits 2 couple times a month. 

laceyd, YogaByCandace and roxychalk like this

I'm a web programmer, so I'm seated at my desk at least 9 hours a day. Until a couple of years ago this posture didn't create specific issues to me, but now I suffer quite constantly by neck and back tension and pain, especially in upper back area. I've noticed that seated position has a negative impact on my mood, too, and in the evening I'm often very nervous and stressed. To do something about these issues I’m going to the gym at lunch time when I can, I’m taking postural training classes one time a week (that day I’m sure I won’t suffer back pain!) and I try to incorporate 5-10 minutes of specific sequences for upper back and neck in every yoga session or in the evening. Deep twists of the torso and opening chest sequences are the stretches that make me feel better. Yoga chair routines are also fantastic: I have put a reminder on, so I’m sure to do it at least one time a day ;)

laceyd and YogaByCandace like this

Presently I do a variety of yoga, with remaining mindful of the yin and yang balance. I use to bike to the gym and work out 3-5 times a week, but since moving out to the country the upkeep with our land is all the cardio and strength I need. 

YogaByCandace likes this

I work 10 hours a day, 4 days a week in front of a computer as a customer service supervisor for a major online retailer. My shoulders, lower back and hips suffer from tightness. On top of that I take escalated calls all day from people all over the world. 90% of them are angry about something. So I deal with a lot of negativity which has a profound effect on my stress level and my energy. When the work day is over I feel physically cramped and emotionally drained. I am thankful for yoga and meditation because it is the very best way to relieve my cramped body and let go of all the stress and negativity that collects throughout the day. I spend at least an hour right after work practicing yoga and no less then 20 min of mindful meditation so that I can be an attentive, patient mom of 3. It's important to me that my work stress never spills into my home life.

Wow you are a saint! Customer service is no joke, and I always feel awful for the people on the other end of the phone. It's true what they say about emotions - they're contagious! Makes total sense that you feel drained by the end of the day. :( But what an amazing mom you are to leave that stuff at the door. Big hugs to you.

laceyd likes this

Ugh... I sit ALL day! It has gotten to the point where my co-workers know when my back and hips get too tight; I let them know I have a conference with "Candace" for the next 20 min or so and not to disturb! Yoga on the floor of your office is kind of awkward! I loved the office chair video you posted, and have shared the link with the whole office. I'm starting to get a reputation, and I love it!

:D  I love this!!! I'll make another chair yoga one soon!

Oak likes this

I sit at my cubicle all day, my lower back doesn't hurt as much but my neck and shoulders are always irritating me. It doesn't matter how straight I sit I always seem to just be tense or sore. I usually try and do some twists, roll my shoulders, but I think I carry a lot of my stress in my shoulders so I have to actually work it out on the yoga mat when I get home. I would do the chair yoga at my desk but I am surrounded by so many people that I wouldn't want to distract them because that would mean more work for me...hahah. 

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm a translator, so I'm basically in front of the computer all day too... but I can't sit still for long and I'm aware of how I cross my legs in the same way every time. I try to get up and move. I also feel like I'm hunched all the time. I need to stick in more yoga time to open up my chest and shoulders more!

YogaByCandace likes this

I also sit in front of the computer for most of my working day. I try to give my body a break by going to the gym or for a run over lunch on a couple of days each week. Other than that, I try to visit other people at their desk or in the lab if I need to talk to them instead of just giving them a call. I find that face to face interaction is often more efficient (it may take more time, but I actually get what I need in the end) and it moves my body.

YogaByCandace likes this

That does sound like the most stressful job! Amazing that you have decided to take the time to relieve the stress and negativity before reentering your private sphere - even though it´s time consuming I´m sure it´s worth for both you and your kids.  :31:

laceyd likes this

Wow you are a saint! Customer service is no joke, and I always feel awful for the people on the other end of the phone. It's true what they say about emotions - they're contagious! Makes total sense that you feel drained by the end of the day. :( But what an amazing mom you are to leave that stuff at the door. Big hugs to you.

Thanks! Yeah, it's very important to me that I leave it at the door. It wouldn't be fair to anyone if I didn't find a way to relieve the stress. My favorite mantra during meditation is "Let go of everything that is not serving you". It helps me separate what are truly my feelings from what others pushed onto me all day and then let it go of whatever does not serve me in a positive way. The first yoga teacher I had emphasized letting go at the beginning of the class and at the end she would tell us to feel the open spaces letting all that go gave us and to then fill that open space with love and gratitude. It's a perfect way to begin and end my yoga practice.
Turi, jbatista and yogafire like this

That does sound like the most stressful job! Amazing that you have decided to take the time to relieve the stress and negativity before reentering your private sphere - even though it´s time consuming I´m sure it´s worth for both you and your kids.  :31:

It is time consuming and there are nights that I have to convince myself that it's a necessity but it is so worth it. I went a long time putting it off and allowing all that stress and negativity effect my entire life. Never again!! :)
Turi likes this

It is time consuming and there are nights that I have to convince myself that it's a necessity but it is so worth it. I went a long time putting it off and allowing all that stress and negativity effect my entire life. Never again!! :)

I know those thoughts - doubting whether time spent away from the kids doing something to maintain my physical and emotional wellbeing is actually necessary. Luckily, my kids will occasionally say "mom, you´re so happy when you come back from a run".  :30: A good reminder! And of course, remembering times, when I haven´t prioritized it - I agree: Never again! 

laceyd likes this

I work in the mental health field. It can be stressful some days-demanding clients, lots to do and a finite amount of time at work to get it done, etc. Some days are also really rewarding, so there's that.

Since beginning meditation and yoga I am able to relax myself when I feel my heart starting to race and when I feel myself beginning to stress.

I tried reiki a few months ago and one of the practitioners I saw "read" or "sensed" that my job was stressful. She encouraged me to shower or bath after work and "rinse off" the day. I typically shower in the morning but some nights after work I do engage in this practice and it helps. Generally I can leave work at work. I try not to check my work email while at home. When I take time off it's known among my colleagues that I won't be responding to work emails. If something doesn't get done at work on a particular day I don't take it home and work on it. It just has to wait until I'm back on the clock. :D 

I am lucky that I have time after work to engage in yoga and I've noticed ever since I started practicing yoga I go to work feeling as if I can take on just about anything the day throws at me.

yogagrammy and Turi like this

One time I did a yoga and meditation challenge. We were to meditate each day and and the last day we listened to a guided yoga nidra. I used my down time at work at night to meditate anywhere from 5-15 minutes. It was really great but I did get some kidding from my co-workers. I suggested they do it too but they just laughed. I also did some chair yoga after. I felt so good while the challenge was going on and had more energy during the rest of my shift but then stopped when the challenge stopped. I don't know why when it felt so good. I think I'll pick it up again!

laceyd and Turi like this

One time I did a yoga and meditation challenge. We were to meditate each day and and the last day we listened to a guided yoga nidra. I used my down time at work at night to meditate anywhere from 5-15 minutes. It was really great but I did get some kidding from my co-workers. I suggested they do it too but they just laughed. I also did some chair yoga after. I felt so good while the challenge was going on and had more energy during the rest of my shift but then stopped when the challenge stopped. I don't know why when it felt so good. I think I'll pick it up again!

Yeah I get jabs from co workers as well sometimes because I will do breathing excersies after a tough call or stressful meeting and I do chair yoga in my cubicle. I just jab back at their unwillingness to try. hehehe :42: !

I work in the mental health field. It can be stressful some days-demanding clients, lots to do and a finite amount of time at work to get it done, etc. Some days are also really rewarding, so there's that.

Since beginning meditation and yoga I am able to relax myself when I feel my heart starting to race and when I feel myself beginning to stress.

I tried reiki a few months ago and one of the practitioners I saw "read" or "sensed" that my job was stressful. She encouraged me to shower or bath after work and "rinse off" the day. I typically shower in the morning but some nights after work I do engage in this practice and it helps. Generally I can leave work at work. I try not to check my work email while at home. When I take time off it's known among my colleagues that I won't be responding to work emails. If something doesn't get done at work on a particular day I don't take it home and work on it. It just has to wait until I'm back on the clock. :D 

I am lucky that I have time after work to engage in yoga and I've noticed ever since I started practicing yoga I go to work feeling as if I can take on just about anything the day throws at me.

I like the "rinse off the day" idea! I will have to try that. It makes total sense. :48:

yogagrammy and Turi like this