Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsjoe24

Evolving practice

4 posts in this topic

Hey-o Everyone!

I've been thinking extensively about my personal yoga practice and how to grow it into it's next form. I'm quite interested to see what fellow yogi's are doing and have done to grow in each step of their own practice. 

A bit about my journey:

Many years ago I started taking a yoga class at a summer camp I was in. Following the conclusion of the camp I bought a yoga-pilates video that I'd wake up early every morning and follow through. It had 3 sections of area specific routines then a full body routine so I would alternate through them. 

Fast forward, life got busier, I changed priorities and set down yoga for a few years.

A couple of years ago I slowly injected it back into my life. I found YBC on youtube and it's been a non-stop blessing since. Until now, my yoga plan consisted of hopping online and browsing for a YBC video that fit my fancy for the day, I'd go through it, and that'd be it. 

I deal with chronic pain and as I've continued in my practice I've begun to use it as a remedy. The pain always returns in the morning but like Pavlov's dog when I feel the pain my reaction is yoga. It's become a wonderful necessity that I look forward to. Now that it's a routine I'm looking to mature my practice.

With that said, what has your yoga journey looked like? How have you evolved it? 

Are there certain videos you follow on regimented days as you work to better that specific routine? Do you go for flow one day and alternate with power or balance? Are there specific things you do outside of yoga (other types of exercise) with intent to better your yoga? Do you go through a class or video then also practice on specific poses? How do you work to improve your poses? 

My main goal here is to see what others' practices look like and seek out things I can incorporate into my own practice. Thank you for letting me scrape your minds. :D 

<3 

Tiff

Laura likes this

Hi Tiff,

Its inspiring to read about your personal journey.

My Yoga journey began when I was a little girl, as my Mom introduced the physical practice to me.  I also grew up on three different Native American Reservations in the Southwest so was introduced to the sacredness of nature and ritual at a young age.  

Being a student of Yoga I've explored vinyasa, hatha, restorative, anusara and turbodog Yoga.  It's helped me through heartache, life transitions, physical pain and loss.  My personal favorite practices now are strength based practices with an inward focus.   I like to do a home practice and take online yoga classes since I'm traveling currently have mostly used YogaGlo and Turbodog Yoga classes.  Though, am curious of Candace's offerings.  

As for which classes I choose its normally a  consistent style which at this time is TurboDog Yoga with some restorative mixed in when I need a more restful practice.  I see Yoga less as a regimented routine and more as a practice so, really try to practice as much as I can regularly even if its just for 15 minutes a day.

Other things I do outside of Yoga are Slackline Yoga and AcroYoga.  The YogaSlackers teachings (slackline yoga and AcroYoga) have been truly trans-formative in my life.  The practice of Slackline Yoga keeps me super present, is challenging and meditative at times.  

To me, our Yoga practice can be tested only in relationship to others.  So, my fiance and I have a regular practice together of AcroYoga.  We also practice with other people within AcroYoga communities we visit.  It's been truly a safe place to deal with my fear of judgement, obsession with competition and being hurt/hurting someone else in my relationships.  And its super fun!

In addition, I follow and have studied Ayurveda, which is a sister science of Yoga, all about healthy lifestyle and diet.  This has been extremely empowering in understanding when I feel weird or when something is out of balance  and then be able to self heal.  For the longest time I thought I was some weirdo with something wrong with me and Ayurveda has truly revealed what my imbalances are, there cause and how to bring myself back into balance.

As for improving poses, trying the pose many different ways and strengthening what is weak works well for me.  For example, to improve handstand - I'll do core and wrist strengtheners, headstand, forearm balance, handstand against the wall - in splits, legs together, backbend variation, etc.  Then I also like to do shoulderstand on the slackline and on a person in AcroYoga.  It works for me.

Is there a specific pose you are working on that you would like some help on? 

Laura and mrsjoe24 like this

Hi kcharts! I appreciate your reply! It's really cool that you were introduced so early on in your life---and to be able to learn while living on Native American Reservations is brilliant! I've always wanted to get a chance to connect to that part of my bloodline. I'm sure my feet would have never touched the ground. :) 

One of the poses I'm advancing towards is crow. I got closer than I've ever been yesterday and it rejuvenated my excitement. I'm also looking to concur the motion of raising myself from lying face-down on the mat to plank (unsure if there's an actual name for this--I'm putting a link to one of Candace's videos here: https://youtu.be/Pd9IZrFcc-E?t=29m10s--Starting at 2:10. There are other videos where this is a form to flow through as well.) 

I believe my main weakness in both forms to be my core but I am working towards strengthening it. I'm all ears for any helpful advice.  (Well, eyes, really.) :) 

I deal with chronic pain and as I've continued in my practice I've begun to use it as a remedy. The pain always returns in the morning but like Pavlov's dog when I feel the pain my reaction is yoga. It's become a wonderful necessity that I look forward to. Now that it's a routine I'm looking to mature my practice.

Hi mrsjoe! I completely relate to this - I have chronic neck pain that stems down to my shoulder and shoulder blades. So, when it acts up, I look forward to class. In fact, I first started doing primarily vinyasa flow and ashtanga inspired classes, but then I discovered a new appreciation for slower hatha-based classes to deal with my chronic pain, and no longer got impatient if we spent the first 30 min of class in stretches / releases. For example, Forrest yoga has neck releases that relieved my pain for hours after class, and I just felt so much lighter and freer after class.

As for my yoga practice journey - when I was trying to get more into yoga, I bought a GroupOn for $40 unlimited classes for one month, and I went everyday.  But, I didn't feel each class was that rewarding, and some were too crowded for my liking (almost 40 people at one place!).  Now I limit myself to a smaller studio 2-3 times a week (5-15 people), specifically for the teachers I've grown to trust and who adjusted me such that it really opened my eyes on how the pose should feel.  If there is a sub I don't know, I will skip going to that class.  That's the downside - I've grown too attached to the teachers.

However, I've been supplementing now with some online yoga youtube videos, which really help when I feel I am short on time during the weekday.  The in studio classes are 90 minutes long, so it eats up almost 2 hours time when I include the transit time from my home.

I also try to keep an eye out for specific workshops at studios that are within 40 miles of me on topics I'm interested in. E.g. neck, shoulder, pain release or working on backbends.  I felt that was a little more rewarding than a one-day yoga retreat I attended.  It just depends what you desire at the time. I was looking to "improve" when I attended a one-day yoga retreat when it really was more of enjoy doing yoga in a beautiful scenery.

Being a student of Yoga I've explored vinyasa, hatha, restorative, anusara and turbodog Yoga.  It's helped me through heartache, life transitions, physical pain and loss.  My personal favorite practices now are strength based practices with an inward focus.   I like to do a home practice and take online yoga classes since I'm traveling currently have mostly used YogaGlo and Turbodog Yoga classes.  Though, am curious of Candace's offerings.  

Thanks for sharing how you've explored yoga in so many different ways.

I saw turbodog and wondered if it were Forrest yoga. I haven't seen turbodog poses in other styles so far, have you?  The online classes are a bit steep for me at $14 rent, higher than a single class when I buy 20-class pack at my local studio.  However, I only have access to 2 Forrest yoga teachers in person. One is still on maternity leave, so, I am trying to find other classes online.  Are there any Forrest-inspired teachers on YogaGlo or other online resources?