Wzumberger

NEW NEW NEW to yoga

2 posts in this topic

I have never done yoga before but played sports my whole life and still regularly stretch. Im having issues finding forums that will get me started step by step. I tend to see the harder poses and honestly get scared to continue the next day. Didn't know if you could point me in the direction to get like a 30 day beginners newby to start literally from scratch with yoga. im interested in making this something regular in my life but seem to be getting to far ahead in all the videos and forums ive tried to watch. Would really appreciate being pointed to something that doesn't make me choose while I still learn the basics and what things are with yoga.

Thanks for all the help looking forward to what you may send my way.

I have never done yoga before but played sports my whole life and still regularly stretch. Im having issues finding forums that will get me started step by step. I tend to see the harder poses and honestly get scared to continue the next day. Didn't know if you could point me in the direction to get like a 30 day beginners newby to start literally from scratch with yoga. im interested in making this something regular in my life but seem to be getting to far ahead in all the videos and forums ive tried to watch. Would really appreciate being pointed to something that doesn't make me choose while I still learn the basics and what things are with yoga.

Thanks for all the help looking forward to what you may send my way.

Hey there and welcome! I would suggest learning some basic poses first. These may help: Here are 5 poses for total beginners. Here's how to do downward dog. From there, take a look at the YBC YouTube Channel. There is a playlist for beginners. Most of the videos in that playlist are gentle yoga sequences which means they'll be somewhat slow and hatha based (i.e. holding gentle poses for longer periods of time). Since you've been playing sports your entire life, you might feel like that type of yoga is 'too slow' for you and you may be interested in trying a flow for beginners. Flow/vinyasa yoga just means each movement is linked and the pace is a little faster. From there, I would suggest reading posts like the following and poking around the forum here to ask questions and on the blog to find other posts that might be helpful to you. Hope that helps! 

18 yoga books for total beginners,

3 ways to use visualization

4 ways to improve your backbend

How to balance better in yoga

How to meditate

Common mistakes using a yoga strap in forward fold

Common mistakes in warrior poses

How to use yoga blocks

This little trick will improve your practice

6 ways to improve your flexibility

AnaTeresa likes this