EricaKaye

Handstand headaches

7 posts in this topic

I have been practicing handstands using the wall for a little over a year. Within the last six months or so I have been trying to move past my fear of falling and practicing handstand tucks away from the wall. I have noticed that when I do this I almost always end up with a headache. Nothing terrible, but still a headache that I didn't have when I started. Has this happened to anyone else? I have been careful to make sure I'm not holding my breath and I'm definitely not able to hold it long enough that much blood is rushing to my head lol! Any idea what might be causing this? 

Have I understood this correctly? The headache only happens with this one pose, handstand tucks away from the wall. You don't have headaches from any other inversions at any time? Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Have I understood this correctly? The headache only happens with this one pose, handstand tucks away from the wall. You don't have headaches from any other inversions at any time? Please correct me if I misunderstood.

That is correct. I don't get headaches in any other inversion. Only when trying handstands. I think when I use the wall I use momentum so I'm not "straining" (for lack of a better word). I must be doing something wrong-just not sure what it is! 

I don't have any way to certainly know what is causing this sensation (slight headaches). But maybe a couple of things to look at. Handstand are quite strenuous plus you are maybe at a beginner stage of handstands which makes it even more difficult plus upside down during all this. Maybe it is just a little overexertion. The other thing I noticed the word fear in your first post. You know going upside down were we could fall on our head is kind of scary, I don't want to fall on my head, I don't think anyone does either. Maybe take it a little easier and more preparatory poses to help.

I found this video once that has this brilliant part in it about dragging the feet forward from plank or downdog. I found it really helpful and something I have never heard of before. Just be careful the first time you try it that don't go flying out the front and crash like I did  :D

Key Principles in Handstand with Mark Darby

If you would like other things for help with handstands I am sure others or myself can add on.

EricaKaye likes this

I agree that maybe doing prepatory poses would help. Maybe a dolphin pose or something like that.

Are you going into child's pose right afterwards? That would help regulate energy flow from doing the inversions.

My other idea is balancing out your inversion practice with grounding (kind of opposite) poses that are more restorative and helps change the flow of blood back to its normal direction. 

As always, make sure you have had enough to eat and drink as well, as inversions can easily make you dizzy and give you a headache if you don't have enough energy from substance. That has definitely happened to me before.

EricaKaye likes this

Thank you Anahata and Afriske! :)

I don't always take enough time to do the prep work (bad habit!). I am going to try taking more time in dolphin before attempting handstands next time. Prepping appropriately may help with the overexertion issue as well.  The video was great, practicing dragging the feet will be a good way to strengthen my core and prep for handstand. 

Thank you for the reminder about child's pose! I had forgotten that and I have a feeling that small change will make a big difference in how I feel after. 

I too have had headaches and I've never had them before. I was doing a handstand and then falling into a bridge and for the rest of the day I was stuck with a headache. I've done several handstands before just not falling into a bridge, but I don't think that the bridge has anything to do with it. I also wasn't holding my breath so I have no idea what could cause this headache.