Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emine

Hi from Em!

11 posts in this topic

Just popping a little introduction in here :)

My name is Em, I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I started yoga almost 2 years ago as an alternative to intense gym workouts that were making me feel stressed. I mainly do yoga at home using an app on my Ipad. I love to read about yoga, watch yoga videos, look at photos etc.

I joined the forums as I have been reading for a little while and wanted to be able to contribute and ask questions as well.

My main yoga concerns are (very) tight hips and hamstrings which are slowly opening and a tension in my upper back. I'd be really interested to hear about other people who have tight hips/hammys and how you have improved flexibility in those areas. 

Hi Em.

I also have tight hips and hamstrings, particularly the hamstrings. My flexibility in these areas has gradually improved through doing yoga, but I still have a long way to go before I get my head to my knees in forward fold!  I have made peace with the fact that it is going to be a long journey, but I am determined to get there.

YBC has plenty of advice for working on stubborn areas. If you use the search box on the home page and type in for example "hamstrings" you will see all the videos and poses relating to that area. You should find plenty to keep you busy.

How is Melbourne these days, I spent a year working and living there many years ago?  :unsure:

YogaByCandace likes this

Welcome, Em! For me it's just about making a conscious effort to practice even a few minutes per day in order to see improvement in flexibility. For example, if I'm waiting for my tea water to boil, or for the hot water to come on for the shower, I'll do rag doll pose or something. It isn't much but when I don't do it, my body feels it!

Hi Em,

I have these same issues, and the points raised above have helped. My range of forward bending has about doubbled in just over two months. It takes a while.

Something not mentioned is that you need to make sure you actually are bending from the hips. Look at yourself side-on in a mirror and bend forward as you usually would, What you should see is your body 'hinging' from the hips, but what I was previously doing is bending from the lower back. If one does this habbitually day-to-day then there hamstrings willprobably be tight as they are not making use of this range of motion.

If you are bending from the low back, it would be worth spending some time re-training your habbits so that you bend from the hips, using the hamstrings. When doing so make sure that you shift your palvis back to correct your center of gravity, or you will lock as your brain is stopping you falling forwards. 

Also spend time stretching the hip adductors as they may also limit forward bending.

Upper back, lie on your mat and put a block under your upper back and head, raise your arms overhead and hold for a while.

Hi Robbie, glad it's not just me! I must admit I haven't been all that systematic in my search for information on the forum and blog, more like sporadically reading anything that looks interesting (most of the posts do) so I don't get very far before I'm distracted haha. Thanks for the tips :)

Melbourne is fine, depending on when you were here it's probably more crowded etc, and the weather is still unpredictable and awful! Where are you based now?

Hi Em.

I also have tight hips and hamstrings, particularly the hamstrings. My flexibility in these areas has gradually improved through doing yoga, but I still have a long way to go before I get my head to my knees in forward fold! I have made peace with the fact that it is going to be a long journey, but I am determined to get there.

YBC has plenty of advice for working on stubborn areas. If you use the search box on the home page and type in for example "hamstrings" you will see all the videos and poses relating to that area. You should find plenty to keep you busy.

How is Melbourne these days, I spent a year working and living there many years ago? :unsure:

Robbie likes this

Maybe it's because I'm viewing on my phone but I can't see any signatures - I'll have a look on my laptop later :) thanks!

see link in my signature

Well hello! I love your blog and Instagram Candace. It's so great to follow your journey and hear your stories. you should do a yoga retreat in Au - us Aussies are very nice you know!

Thanks for the tips, that's a good idea about doing a ragdoll while waiting for water to boil. I'll start making that time a little more productive!

Welcome, Em! For me it's just about making a conscious effort to practice even a few minutes per day in order to see improvement in flexibility. For example, if I'm waiting for my tea water to boil, or for the hot water to come on for the shower, I'll do rag doll pose or something. It isn't much but when I don't do it, my body feels it!

Hi Robert, thanks so much for all your tips! I recently videoed my forward fold and what do you know - the lower back was bending too much. I've started to focus on hinging from the hips and it has meant I'm further from my knees than before but at least I'm doing the pose more correctly.

I'm pretty sure the hips are also limiting me so trying to incorporate deep hip stretched into all of my practices.

Thanks again for your help!!

Hi Em,

I have these same issues, and the points raised above have helped. My range of forward bending has about doubbled in just over two months. It takes a while.

Something not mentioned is that you need to make sure you actually are bending from the hips. Look at yourself side-on in a mirror and bend forward as you usually would, What you should see is your body 'hinging' from the hips, but what I was previously doing is bending from the lower back. If one does this habbitually day-to-day then there hamstrings willprobably be tight as they are not making use of this range of motion.

If you are bending from the low back, it would be worth spending some time re-training your habbits so that you bend from the hips, using the hamstrings. When doing so make sure that you shift your palvis back to correct your center of gravity, or you will lock as your brain is stopping you falling forwards.

Also spend time stretching the hip adductors as they may also limit forward bending.

Upper back, lie on your mat and put a block under your upper back and head, raise your arms overhead and hold for a while.

Maybe it's because I'm viewing on my phone but I can't see any signatures - I'll have a look on my laptop later :) thanks!

sorry, here's the link to the article

I used to love the Melbourne weather! It was 40 degrees on the day I landed, I thought I had moved to the surface of the sun!

I live in London now, so let's not talk about weather any more :angry:

YogaByCandace likes this