Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IryokuJP

Small wounds around the hip joints + question about the concave back

5 posts in this topic

Hello.

I've been doing yoga by myself for the past 4 months, and I've really had some wonderful results. There is something which concerns me lately, however. I started some exercises for the splits about 3-4 weeks ago, but I've been having these small wounds on the skin around my hip joints. Do you think those appeared because of the said exercises? Has anyone else had the same experience? Also what do you think I should do beside applying cream on the skin?

OK. Second question. I'm really having problems with Padangusthasana (Big Toe Pose?) for some time now. I can reach my toes easily or grab my legs and push my body towards them if I want to, but I still can't do it with the so-called concave back (I can still feel my backbone somewhat), so I just usually let my arms float in the air. Is this just a matter of time? Or is there some other exercise I might want to do to excel faster?

Thank you in advance!

For Big Toe Pose, try using a strap and back off so you are not pulling your back out of alignment, or bend the knee, or both.

Welcome to the community.

Medical help is likely best for the small wounds. I have no idea why that would happen, it could be many things. It is probably better to stop it from happening than cover it with a cream.

For increased flexibility we are generally doing two things. Lengthening and strengthening muscles. And strengthening and working towards the full range of motion in our joints. It can take years to do this. But you will also notice changes much more quickly. The Yoga Journal article Long and Strong by Roger Cole mostly describes the hamstrings but the principles apply to all muscles. And many forward fold poses are found here Forward Bends / YJ . Padangusthasana is in both links.

If you need more help come back here and we will do our best.