afriske

Creating a Yoga Space

8 posts in this topic

Hey, guys.

So, I'm in college which means one, I don't have a lot of space and two, I move from home back to school and back home, you know the drill.

I will be going back soon and I've been practicing yoga for a long time without a designated yoga space. I won't have room to really have one when I go back to school either, but I wonder if anyone has tips for creating a makeshift yoga space that requires little change to my room, but still consists of a peaceful spot.

:54:

tawlglass likes this

I don't know if you live near a Home Goods or Pier One store but both had yoga themed housewares recently (ceramic Buddhas, elephants, om symbol artwork, etc.). You could hunt through to find a few small decorative pieces along with some pretty pillows and pillow "poofs" that would do double duty as regular decor/extra seating along with being used to make a pretty, peaceful spot to practice. There are also some cool tapestries on etsy that you could hang and easily remove when it was time to move out. I like to practice in natural light so if you could set up by the window and add a few small plants on the sill that could be nice too! 

afriske and KristiSmithYoga like this

EricaKaye, thank you for those ideas! Those sound great for making my small space comfortable. Hopefully I can find room for some extra items.

robert, yeah I was actually thinking of taking my practice outside, but there are two problems with this. 1. It's winter most of the time where I go to school. 2. I'm still afraid of what other people think of me, and I'm afraid to be seen while practicing outside. I hope I get over this though, because I love practicing outside.

KristiSmithYoga and EricaKaye like this

You could try getting a couple of inexpensive Japanese-style screens to block out the chaos of a shared space (if that's what you are dealing with). Also, creating a ritual at the beginning of your practice to make your space sacred would likely help.

I have a yoga room at home, but it used to be the guest bedroom - meaning, it was the dumping ground for whatever we didn't want to deal with at the moment! I had carved out about an 8x4 space for my practice, which wasn't much. But I practiced facing a beautiful tapestry that my mom had picked up from northern India during a service/refugee project (so it lent wonderful energy to the space), and I always lit a candle and/or burned incensed at my makeshift altar just underneath the tapestry. Doing this allowed me to practice in a sacred space.

Btw, it's great that you are thinking creatively and are set on maintaining your practice :-)

afriske likes this

Hey afriske!

As a recent college grad, props to you for sticking to your yoga practice! Tiny dorms are a betch. I started yoga in my last two years of undergrad and faced the same circumstances: constant moving from home to dorm, switching dorms. Also, not having a solemn home environment provided an extra challenge. To answer your post: your environment is what you make it. I've moved into an apartment, and only have my mat and accessories in one corner of the room. Nothing fancy whatsoever--it's my tried and true method. But I still look at it as my oasis. Which I've had to do for the past 2.5 years. When at home, silence didn't exist for 97% of the day, nor did I have a defined space to practice (other than the middle of a terribly cramped room). Yet, for some reason, I've had some of my most profound yoga/meditation/spiritual experiences there. My environment pushed me into a different state of mind. 

In short: The space you create should be in your mind, if it can't/is tough to make it literally be there. 

However, I have these awesome Chinese therapy balls that have a mechanism on the inside that makes them chime every time they're spun in your hand. This, too, creates a meditative space for me. Lavender satchels have a beautiful aroma, and candles are always a delicious way to get your nose involved with the entire experience. 

Hope this helps. Yay, college!!!  :)  :P  :ph34r:

:-) 

afriske likes this

Hey afriske!

As a recent college grad, props to you for sticking to your yoga practice! Tiny dorms are a betch. I started yoga in my last two years of undergrad and faced the same circumstances: constant moving from home to dorm, switching dorms. Also, not having a solemn home environment provided an extra challenge. To answer your post: your environment is what you make it. I've moved into an apartment, and only have my mat and accessories in one corner of the room. Nothing fancy whatsoever--it's my tried and true method. But I still look at it as my oasis. Which I've had to do for the past 2.5 years. When at home, silence didn't exist for 97% of the day, nor did I have a defined space to practice (other than the middle of a terribly cramped room). Yet, for some reason, I've had some of my most profound yoga/meditation/spiritual experiences there. My environment pushed me into a different state of mind. 

In short: The space you create should be in your mind, if it can't/is tough to make it literally be there. 

However, I have these awesome Chinese therapy balls that have a mechanism on the inside that makes them chime every time they're spun in your hand. This, too, creates a meditative space for me. Lavender satchels have a beautiful aroma, and candles are always a delicious way to get your nose involved with the entire experience. 

Hope this helps. Yay, college!!!  :)  :P  :ph34r:

:-) 

Yeah, it's super difficult!

Thanks for answering though! Those ideas sound great, and I'll try to keep them in mind. Love the Chinese therapy balls. Might have to invest in those.

tawlglass likes this

You could try getting a couple of inexpensive Japanese-style screens to block out the chaos of a shared space (if that's what you are dealing with). Also, creating a ritual at the beginning of your practice to make your space sacred would likely help.

I have a yoga room at home, but it used to be the guest bedroom - meaning, it was the dumping ground for whatever we didn't want to deal with at the moment! I had carved out about an 8x4 space for my practice, which wasn't much. But I practiced facing a beautiful tapestry that my mom had picked up from northern India during a service/refugee project (so it lent wonderful energy to the space), and I always lit a candle and/or burned incensed at my makeshift altar just underneath the tapestry. Doing this allowed me to practice in a sacred space.

Btw, it's great that you are thinking creatively and are set on maintaining your practice :-)

Thank you for advice! I will probably use some of these ideas in the future!