afriske

Pranayama?

5 posts in this topic

I'm interested in hearing about what you guys think about different types of pranayama? What is your favorite? What is hardest for you?

What helps you maintain your breath during yoga? 

KristiSmithYoga likes this

I love extended exhalations (I am drawing a blank on the Sanskrit at the moment) and kapalabhati breath. Both are very powerful for me. To be honest, most forms of pranayama affect me deeply...except for ujayii. I just don't feel as connected to my movement and heart when I practice with that one, despite how fundamental it is! So I do what works for me.

Instead of ujayii breath I just use sama vrtti during my practice. All transitions between poses are initiated by the breath in my practice (which is typically of the vinyasa flow variety).

afriske likes this

I love extended exhalations (I am drawing a blank on the Sanskrit at the moment) and kapalabhati breath. Both are very powerful for me. To be honest, most forms of pranayama affect me deeply...except for ujayii. I just don't feel as connected to my movement and heart when I practice with that one, despite how fundamental it is! So I do what works for me.

Instead of ujayii breath I just use sama vrtti during my practice. All transitions between poses are initiated by the breath in my practice (which is typically of the vinyasa flow variety).

I have recently come across teh kapalabhati breath and am eager to try that out.

Interesting. I will look at sama vrtti as well and see what that's like!

Interesting. I will look at sama vrtti as well and see what that's like!

Sama vrtti is simply making the inhalations and exhalations of even length, and typically emphasizes deep inhalations and full exhalations.

Oh I see! I have definitely gotten same vrtti mixed up with ujjayi before. Back when I didn't know what ujjayi was! I enjoy sama vrtti as well. It's very calming and helps keep balance in the practice. It's a helpful technique for me when I'm feeling anxious!

KristiSmithYoga likes this