Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iamgracey

Yoga Teachers - Negative Experiences

3 posts in this topic

I'm sure everyone has a yoga teacher they like, some they feel neutral about and some bad experiences. Curious to hear what everyone has to share.

I'll shall start with something that has been on my mind for awhile.

I have this teacher who seems to have a personal vendetta against me for some strange reason. In fact, I consider her as one of my favorite teachers as I really enjoy her classes a lot. But it's been a few months and she's pretty cold to me outside of class (in the yoga studio) when I ask her questions related to yoga. At times, she even pretend not to see me or reply when I say Hi.

Also, she tends to single me out loudly whenever I happen to make a mistake, or when I take a longer time to get into a pose - hey, our bodies feel different every day right? She will sound very frustrated that I can't square my hips in dancers' pose or can't set my butt down between my knees in fixed firm pose.

I try to be positive about it, but I realize that she does not point out other people's mistakes like she does mine. Most of the time she will go to the student and lower her volume, whereas my name is always across the room.

I'm pretty confused. I thought maybe I'm somehow not cut out for yoga, but when I go to other classes the teachers are so encouraging and one even said I'm quite flexible.

How weird! I'm sure I never offend her in any way though.

Aw that's too bad.  :unsure:  Could you pull her aside and talk with her? Or maybe talk with the studio owner? You sound so positive and I feel like if you just said the exact thing you said here, "Hey there, I really love your classes, you're one of my favorite instructors but I sometimes feel singled out or as if I did something to offend you..is that the case?" 

Because there could be any number of reasons why she has been cold to you - maybe she just had a bad day, maybe she just received bad news, or maybe she just doesn't like you (doubtful - it takes so much energy to dislike someone). I think it's best to just confront her in a kind way, and if she doesn't respond to that then maybe it's time to move on? 

The worst teacher I had was someone in London who mocked our entire class because we could keep up. It was insane. A brave woman had asked him to slow down and he got right in her face and said, "OHHHH. YOUUUU. WANNNNT. MEEEE. TOOOO. TALKKKK. LIIIIKE... THIIIIIISSSSSS?" It was horrible. I walked out with a bunch of others like woah, what just happened! :blink:

Reggi likes this

Do you know if the students your teacher is going to up close are newer than you?  One of my teachers has a watchful eye, and she will call out my name across the room too if I'm not pushing hard enough because she knows me well enough now to see my form.  She still does hands on adjustments though from time to time.  So, I see that singling out as being comfortable enough with me that she can then do multiple adjustments and save time by calling out some verbal.

After class, does she engage in longer or more animated conversations with other people? If so, then I can understand how this feels very personal.  If not, then she might be going through a rough time and just can't give more beyond the class time.  Or she just isn't a very open person.  One of my yoga teachers very openly shares how yoga has helped her emotional turmoil, and I find that inspiring to realize teachers are just as messed up as we are. :)

Otherwise, just ask her directly like Candace suggested.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't room for misinterpretation.

I hope this doesn't discourage you from continuing your practice and that this works out so you can still enjoy this teacher's class!

YogaByCandace likes this