Yoga fails

18 posts in this topic

'Put your hands underneath your feet until your toes touch your wrists, gently rock forward on your hands, this is a balancing pose, trust yourself....'

Splat! Lol I just had my first fall doing yoga XD

Anyone else got embarrassing yoga fails?

Oh no! Lol! Hope you are ok! I have had too many splats to count. I think it is just part of the process! Landing on my face trying chin stand in class was the worst.

My most recent was an attempt to recreate a cool pose I had seen on Instagram. We were at the beach (and may have had a cocktail) and I talked hubby into doing it with me. He stood in tree pose holding one of my feet while I was in handstand with one leg in tree beside him. My sister was our photographer and everything was great until she yelled "let go of her foot!" which hubby did-immediately! I instantly fell over but not before she got a pretty hilarious shot of my totally shocked face as I went down with him laughing beside me the whole time! #fail 

Crow is my favourite pose for that. You can feel yourself falling, but you know you're not going to get your hands out from under you in time so.......face plant!

I was having a headstand competition with one of my daughters a couple of weeks ago and my other daughter wondered what would happen if she shoved me over. Why do shins hurt so much when they collide with furniture?

I love this topic! Half the time I try scorpion without a wall nearby I end up flipping over. I had been taking video for a blog post and was able to capture a still of it one time...was quite comical :) Half moon was my nemesis for a very long time. I still don't understand why it was so hard.

I don't really have to tell you a very funny story about my yogafails... they are all pretty mild up to now (except maybe one time I tried to transition from headstand to pincha and I planted on my knee on a marbled floor...which wasn't exactly funny bacause it hurt AF and I was bruised for a couple weeks).

But they say that a picture is 1000 words... so I'm going to show you one I self-shot last week. Hahahaha!!! 

11872835_10207910198258733_1759280704_n.jpg

I was trying to get a pic doing compass pose. I usually take a video then screen shot for a picture. Well, I do have a pretty funny yoga fail video on Instagram if you want to check it out. I was going to delete it but every time I watched it I laughed so hard I just had to share it! I fell onto my dog laying beside me on the deck but he got up and gave me a kiss to tell me it was ok. I still laugh when I look at it!

ha! love your picture Vicky!

and EricaKaye my gosh how ambitious! (and impressive) I've always been to scared to try anything while drinking.

It's so good to know everybody does it. It made me stop that day but I will keep going. oooh, I so want to get into crow pose... maybe i'll get a funny snap of that :s  and my absolute dream is scorpion.

On a sidenote, I joined a gym to supplement my practice and had a beginner legs class of one today. #trainersarescary

Robbie, EricaKaye and Vicky like this

This is the best thread on the forum right now, I am dying!!! :lol:

I fall all. the. time. Caught this one on camera a few weeks back - the transition from crow to koundinyasana 2. Some days my leg feels like a feather, other days it's like a rock. Was totally a rock that day! :D:D

Vicky and KristiSmithYoga like this

I am not sure I should write this here.

A few weeks ago I was travelling and was at a city that had yoga classes, yay! Normally I don’t have any where I live. So the teacher says let’s learn eight angle pose. I don’t know all these names, eight angle pose? What the heck is that! I know Astavakrasana, I didn’t know the two were the same. She is giving us all these instructions while we are sitting on the floor. And I didn’t get it and ended up a tangled pile on the floor. Everyone laughed, 6 people in the class, it was funny. But they shouldn’t really be laughing at people in yoga so I thought I would quiet them down a bit. So I did it the normal way I do and jump into it and then switch sides through a head stand. It wasn’t where the class was at and I probably shouldn’t have done that, bad yogi, oh well.

I also didn’t know the name Monkey pose. I would look up to see what Monkey pose was and looking up takes cake of that misunderstanding! It is probably the simplest pose that others learnt in their first class. Is monkey pose a common name that is used? I never heard it before. Ardha Uttanasana or just look up.

Way too many other falls to ever remember.

KristiSmithYoga and Lorelei like this

Oh, that's so tough - most teachers say both names to avoid confusion.  I respect you though for realizing it was a funny situation and admitting that it was not very yogic to "quiet them down".  I understand why you did it though, especially since you don't normally take get to take classes!

As for monkey pose, I thought it was the same as Hanumanasana? I also just hear "look up, flat back" for Ardha Uttanasana.

So I did it the normal way I do and jump into it and then switch sides through a head stand. It wasn’t where the class was at and I probably shouldn’t have done that, bad yogi, oh well.

I also didn’t know the name Monkey pose. I would look up to see what Monkey pose was and looking up takes cake of that misunderstanding! It is probably the simplest pose that others learnt in their first class. Is monkey pose a common name that is used? I never heard it before. Ardha Uttanasana or just look up.

This made me laugh :D

I had never heard of monkey pose until my teacher training program...but most of the teachers at the local studio seem to refer to arha uttanasana as monkey pose. It reminds me of half moon pose and warrior 3, as both have multiple interpretations.

(Tried to link my IG video, but it wouldn't work...)

I finally got into Crow pose without blocks to rest my forehead on. I was so excited so I decided to take a video to post on Instagram to show my progress. Of course, I wind up holding it for half a second before doing a total face plant into the ground! Lol.:lol::lol::lol:  But, I still shared it on IG, to give my friends a good laugh. 

Edited by Kerri

Recently, I knew I was going into class extremely stressed out.  I made myself go to this class, when what I really wanted was to go home and cry.
I promised myself that I needed to go to this class, I needed to take care of myself.   You can't pour from an empty cup, right?

The one thing I can count on in class is that my mat is always right where I put it.   Under my feet and on top of the very dependable floor. 
(You can always trust that the floor is going to hold up, it's end of the bargain)

Early in class, we had just finished gentle  passes through Cat and Cow.  The first balance challenged comes up.  
Extending opposite arm and leg.
I'm there...  I feel wobbly so I extend both a little more... reaching higher.... and the next thing I know...  I am over on my side.
Still stressed out, but improving....  while laying on the floor, I "mooo'd".....   
My class mates all tip over like dominoes and laughing.... our instructor laughed.... and said " When we fall over, sometimes it is like cow tipping"
 It took a good few minutes before we were all back on our mats