Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EricaKaye

Do you use supplements/sports nutrition products?

4 posts in this topic

I'd love to hear the thoughts of this group on adding supplements, protein powders, recovery drinks and the like to your fitness routine. There are so many choices and types of products out there that I'm totally overwhelmed! I'm constantly seeing ads and endorsements for products to support or enhance performance and recovery but I wonder if it really makes a difference unless you are a competitive athlete?

What kinds of supplements, etc. do you use or find most useful? 

My two cents, since you asked haha, is to be really, really diligent about reading the labels if you decide to take anything. Many protein powders contain soy lecithin which is an emulsifier and helps the drink not to separate once you add water. What's tough about that is that it's really damaging to the digestive tract - not to mention most soy is GMO. (Fun fact: soy lecithin is also in most chocolate bars - when I was in Costa Rica leading a retreat, a Swiss student and self-described chocolate connoisseur told me that high quality chocolate never has an emulsifier. There will only be like five ingredients tops - all things we easily recognize and this has to do with the cook time. When you add an emulsifier, it allows chocolatiers to produce the chocolate faster. Without the emulsifier, they need to slowly temper the chocolate. So that's an easy way to tell a great chocolate bar apart from a not so great one. Sorry, got sidetracked there because #chocolate.) Anyway! Protein powders are also often packed with unnecessary sweeteners and fillers so I'm wary of them. I personally don't drink them, but Greg does. He takes this whey protein that is 100% grass-fed and organic - there's nothing else in it. He'll also add a banana for flavor and to help recover from a workout and sometimes a scoop of homemade nut butter and cacao. For supplements, he takes digestive enzymes, and fish oil.

When I was doing all my research about healing my gut, I thought it was interesting that the doctor who wrote the GAPS book said that if the gut and digestive tract is in good health, there's no need for most supplements (she does recommend fish oil, cod liver oil and probiotics) - and some vitamins need to be taken with other vitamins in order for them to actually work (I talked a little about it here when I was taking biotin and it wasn't working) ...although I suppose things are different if you're training for a body building competition or something. If you do decide to take supplements, just be sure to look at the labels, and be sure it's not a synthetic version because that doesn't absorb well, and watch out for fillers in pills. 

The things I am taking right now: Beta-TCP to help my liver recover from the hell I put it through for Lyme disease treatment haha, coconut oil pills (just because eating a spoonful of coconut oil makes me want to vom but I think it's a good source of fat), oregano oil for immunity, a shot of beet kvass per day for liver support (and great source of probiotics), probiotics and HCLs with every meal as discussed here.

EricaKaye likes this

I do supplement Vitamin D, as it's generated from sunlight, and our modern 'indoorsy' culture means we often don't have enough. The following link is a compilation of research in text and audio podcast format that covers the misconceptions about it: https://www.grc.com/health/vitamin-d.htm

Apart from a typical vitamin supplement I don't use anything else.

EricaKaye likes this

Thank you for the info! And getting sidetracked by chocolate...totally acceptable in my book! Now I'm going to have to hunt down some high quality chocolate- ummm for research purposes lol! 

One of my concerns was definitely the chemicals and yucky stuff like soy lecithin in these products. Good to know there are other options out there. Definitely counterproductive to ingest lots of bad/unnecessary stuff in my quest to get healthy! The combo Greg makes sounds really good-with or without the protein powder!

I do take biotin, fish oil and calcium + D....when I remember! Coconut oil pills are new to me, I'll have to look them up. I totally agree about eating a spoonful-gag! I'm also really interested in the oregano for immunity. Anything to help keep away all the gross germs the kids bring home from school! 

Thanks for the links Candace & Robert! I skimmed through a few of them, can't wait to sit down and give them a proper read through (back to school time is almost upon us! Quiet uninterrupted reading time = heaven!).

YogaByCandace likes this