skad

neck yoga artery hurt?

8 posts in this topic

I was doing this neck yoga from youtube. Thing is everytime I bend my neck to left or right and take a deep breath I feel like my artery on my neck is gonna snap and it also feels like it is squishing my throat and the pain affects up to my diaphragm to the point that it affects my breathing like I cant take a really deep breath? anyone else have this pain?

Edited by skad

Let's turn it around...if a good friend asked you that question...would you say "seek the advice of a trained medical professional"....or would you say "go to a web forum and ask a bunch of strangers (none of whom are trained medically) what they think"?

If it were me, I'd speak to a doctor.

hmm i dont really want to think its serious. thats why I just wanna know if anyone else have this issue before.

hmm i dont really want to think its serious. ...

... I feel like my artery on my neck is gonna snap and it also feels like it is squishing my throat and the pain affects up to my diaphragm to the point that it affects my breathing like I cant take a really deep breath? ...

Nah, doesn't sound serious to me, either

Edited by LarryD517

doctor is the best idea.

I've seen advise around yoga saying not to put the neck into an extream back stretch as doing so can damage an artery. Though as above, a doctor would know best.

LarryD517 likes this

This pain does not happen to me.

I recommend that you don't do those postures until you speak to a doctor. 

I know it might seem dramatic but this is your neck we are talking about, you know? So it's good to check with your doctor. Especially considering this hurts with gentle poses to the neck. Avoid any poses that put strain on the neck. 

Remember to listen to your body! This pain is your body telling you to stop so don't do anything that puts you in pain!

I agree with the others. If you are in that much pain and feel like it is affecting your breathing it is worth a trip to the doctor. Better to have them tell you it is nothing than delay treatment on something that could cause you issues later.

Now having said that, everyone feels things to a different degree. I feel some tension in my neck when doing what you describe and I have felt like my breathing is slightly restricted when doing things that cause the neck to fall back or strain and even deep side stretches. But never anything I would call pain or even discomfort. Like afriske said, pain is a warning and you should listen to your body. Don't push past your "edge". Honor what your body is trying to tell you! I hope you are feeling better soon. 

Is your neck really tight, and do these sensations stop if you just tilt your head slightly and do more gentle stretches?  If the answer is no, then disregard the rest of my post and see a doctor.

I have no idea what you're doing, but, if you're doing the neck release variation in which you pull your head to one side with your hand, that is easy to overdo.  I learned more gentle stretches from my physical therapist - the cue given was to tilt your right ear to your right shoulder without moving your body, with the back of the left's hand placed at the small of the back, and stop at the first sign of resistance.  I have never felt the "snap" part - that sounds like you're pushing past your edge.  

I have felt "squishing my throat and the pain affects up to my diaphragm to the point that it affects my breathing" when my massage therapist was working on my scalenes.  Not fun at all, but if you have trigger points in your scalenes, that could be why you feel more constricted than others.  Still get a professional opinion - not everyone subscribes to the trigger point theory, but, this is an example site that talks about this and relation to being harder to breathe.