Lorelei

Something stuck between or under ribs when stretching?

6 posts in this topic

This is something that has happened to me for a long time off and on mostly when I'm stretching deeply in a bend.  The best way to describe it is that it feels as though muscle is getting stuck between my lowest ribs on the right side or underneath the ribs.  In order to make the discomfort (and subsequent breathing difficulty) go away, I need to raise my right hand to make my side long as I take slow and careful breaths.  As the pinching or "stuck" feeling goes away, I can usually physically feel something dropping back into place.  It's freaky and unpredictable, but there are never any lasting effects.  Does this happen to anyone else?  And can anyone tell me what the heck this is??  It just happened again while I was working with Candace's 45 minute practice for strength. 

Edited by Lorelei
YogaByCandace likes this

Could it be your stomach or intestines moving around? Perfectly normal and natural and especially so with yoga movements.

Edit: Image removed use this link to view image anatomy of stomach area

Edited by Anahata
Lorelei and YogaByCandace like this

Hmm, that hasn't happened to me that I'm aware of - I'm sorry to say I'm not going to be very helpful with this one..hopefully someone else might be able to shed some light.

Anahata - would you mind linking to the page where you found the picture? :) That gives 100% proper credit and we won't get in trouble.

Lorelei likes this

Just a shot in the dark - have you had a c-section before, and have the ab muscles healed over completely yet?  Just a thought given Anahata's post.  What you described sounded like something my friend's stomach would do (she gave birth to twins a year ago, so not typical since her incision was larger than normal).

Lorelei likes this

Anahata:  That's creepy about the stomach and intestines, but it makes sense.

Yogafire:  No c-sections, just two births the other way...still, I guess that meant a lot of stretching, since I carried them both high.  I never thought of that.  Thanks.

Someone mentioned a "floating rib" to me once.  Also creepy.:blink:

This actually happens to me as well and I've always wondered why. It's a bizarre feeling but doesn't hurt or anything.  More makes me uncomfortable