LarryD517

How do you get a dog to do Down Dog

4 posts in this topic

Okay, yoga goddess, I guess by now you know I'm the proud papa of a nine week old Golden Doodle (follow Harvey on Instagram ... larryd517).

He's pretty good at Up Dog (and, naturally, savasana), but I'm not sure how to teach him Down Dog (he prefers to lick himself LOL).

Can you get Buckman to do a YouTube explaining how canines get into Down Dog. 

Thanks!

Edited by LarryD517
KristiSmithYoga likes this

Hahahah! I taught it to him as "bow".  It took soooooo much patience (on my part!) but basically I just pulled his arms forward until he came down into it and if his butt was still in the air, I said, "Bowwwww! Good bow!" and would reward him with a little training treat. Keep saying the word 'bow' or whatever the command is so that he associates the word with the movement. Kind of like teaching a baby how to start talking. Oh, and if his butt wasn't in the air - like if he just came to lay down when I pulled him arms forward, I'd slide my arm underneath his belly until his back legs would stand straight. And then say 'Bowwwww! Good bow!!!' Now when I say Bow he POUNCES into it! It takes him a solid 50 or so times to go through the motions before he gets a new trick but eventually he learns! I just taught him to wave last week! Give that a try!

Edited by YogaByCandace

Get a clicker from the pet store and a bag of small treats. Just keep them handy until opportunity strikes. The SECOND your dog stretches into down dog, click the clicker, say "do down dog" (or "take a bow" or whatever) and give him a treat. Try to do this every time you catch him stretching for a while. Then, try saying the command when he's doing something else and click the clicker and reward him if he does it. That's how our dog trainer trained Sirius to down dog (she trained him to "take a bow", but we changed that quickly) :P

We have a catahoula leopard mix, and they learn tricks pretty quickly...

LarryD517 likes this

I'd do as above. I can get my dog to do just about anything by getting him to follow a treat and then click when he's done what I want. So I would do it as almost how we teach "lay down" - have his nose follow a treat to the ground and make sure his bum stays up and then click, repeat x 100000 until he gets it haha.