YogaByCandace

30 Day September Program

31 posts in this topic

I'm in! I'll be following along as best I can manage while sustaining my personal practice. 

I'll be working on headstand, as always. Last Sunday I fell over because I wasn't ready for it, rushed in and ended up landing on my sacrum. Do not recommend. A more mindful yoga practice can only be a good thing. 

Kerri and yogafire like this

Hi everybody!!! First of all, I love love Candace & this community!! 2 things, I'm so excited to share that my hard work has finally paid off!!! I was able to get into a full wheel today in class!!!! I have been working so hard on it & today it happened!!!!

Second, during this 30 day challenge can I consider the days I practice in class as part of the challenge? Or do I need to follow the schedule? Thanks!!!

Vicky, Kerri and YogaByCandace like this

so excited for this! i'm going to work on king pigeon. i'm pretty confident in mermaid but i'm having trouble with the king pigeon arms, so i'm hoping more focused practice and using a strap will help get me there :)

Kerri and YogaByCandace like this

Oh my goodness I needed a kick in the butt after how busy this summer has been. I am working on boat pose this month. I don't feel comfortable posting a picture, but I know my back is far too hunched over at the moment.

YogaByCandace likes this

This is my first official challenge participation and my first ever posted yoga pose. I feel very very uncomfortable about this, but the YBC community seems like a good place to jump in and just go for it. 

All summer, I've concentrated on beginner arm balances like crow and baby grasshopper. I've decided to shift gears for this program.  

For the Mindful Yoga Program, I'm working on Mermaid Pose. As a runner, my hip flexors are tiiiiggghhht, and I'm tired of fighting back from related injuries. I feel like a flexibility challenge can help me work on some peaceful positivity in the process too.  #ybcmindful

First every Mermaid Pose attempt....lots to work on!

image.jpg

Shannon, yogafire, Vicky and 2 others like this

Second, during this 30 day challenge can I consider the days I practice in class as part of the challenge? Or do I need to follow the schedule? Thanks!!!

I had the same thought! It's up to your discretion, but I think the schedule is just recommendations.  For me, I'm skipping the schedule for the days I attend an in person class.  Having 2+ hours of yoga would probably be too much for me.  I view it as that I now have freedom to swap out suggested practices in the schedule (e.g. do Day 1 on Day 3 instead of Day 3 when I don't go to class).

YogaByCandace and Ranianasser like this

Hi everybody!!! First of all, I love love Candace & this community!! 2 things, I'm so excited to share that my hard work has finally paid off!!! I was able to get into a full wheel today in class!!!! I have been working so hard on it & today it happened!!!!

Hi! Welcome! Yep, just like @yogafire says just above this post - the schedule is just a suggestion. Modify, swap things out, or do your own thing, or ignore completely. :D I would entirely skip the schedule days that you are practicing in a studio. Hope that helps!

This is my first official challenge participation and my first ever posted yoga pose. I feel very very uncomfortable about this, but the YBC community seems like a good place to jump in and just go for it. 

All summer, I've concentrated on beginner arm balances like crow and baby grasshopper. I've decided to shift gears for this program.  

For the Mindful Yoga Program, I'm working on Mermaid Pose. As a runner, my hip flexors are tiiiiggghhht, and I'm tired of fighting back from related injuries. I feel like a flexibility challenge can help me work on some peaceful positivity in the process too.  #ybcmindful

Yeah!! Good for you for facing your fears and doing it anyway. There's a quote I love - 'Get comfortable being uncomfortable.' It reminds me to keep moving forward - maybe it'll help you too :) I think mermaid will be a great pose for you!! Feel free to swap out anything in the schedule in favor of more hip focus (actually today's 30 min vinyasa w inner thighs and side body attention will be GREAT for you - feel free to sub that vid for any other vid in the schedule). 

Lorelei and Ranianasser like this

Yay! Thanks for posting + everyone else that has done so already.  I also felt uncomfortable, but, you all have inspired me.  I am documenting using the reader blog feature here so I can easily review my entries in one place after the challenge is completed.

I also decided to embrace my imperfections and now have a new appreciation for everyone who films / takes pictures of themselves.  I decided to not try to film again, so, I hope we see progress on my selfie taking skills in addition to my chosen yoga pose! I'll figure it out eventually, so please don't mind the crazy close ups and poor framing!

YogaByCandace, Lorelei and Kerri like this

It's definitely a great place to just go for it. There is a wonderful community here, and I don't know about everyone else, but I'm super excited when someone new starts yoga. I remember having so much fear at the beginning too and thinking I'd never be able to do something. But the journey is so rewarding. 

Also psssttt...I'm from Wisconsin too :)

yogafire, YogaByCandace and Lorelei like this

Oh I'm so happy I stopped by, even though I've missed a few days. I need a challenge to get back into the swing of things after I allowed the heat to make my excuses. Mindfulness is a good theme for me right now, and I'm excited. Can anyone recommend a pose for me to work on? I find I've been unconsciously arching my back in normal life, and so I think I should try to counteract that, but I'm also in the mood for a balancing pose of some sort. The mental theme I'm going for is feeling grounded and secure in myself despite what else might be going on with other people, but also being up for adventures. I'm usually more focused on where I'd like to go physically, so I'm drawing a blank. Any advice would be welcome!

Also, what fabulous photos, already!

YogaByCandace and Lorelei like this

What about picking a balance pose from this previous 31 day balance challenge list?  Just make sure you do one that doesn't require backbending, so you can make sure your spine remains straight in your pictures, like, standing pigeon or toe stand.

I think the posture issue may be anterior pelvic tilt.  I also have an arch in my lower back - I went to a posture class, and one cue was to "hang your ribs", and that made me lower, engage my abs, and then tilt my front pelvis down correctly.  It is so hard!  I did some cursory research, and, thought this best explained how it can be due to weak abs and glutes with overactive quads and hip flexors. So, doing quad and hip flexor openings might help, or you can work on strengthening the core (any balance pose is probably good, like you wanted!).

Hildegard and Lorelei like this

Oh I'm so happy I stopped by, even though I've missed a few days. I need a challenge to get back into the swing of things after I allowed the heat to make my excuses. Mindfulness is a good theme for me right now, and I'm excited. Can anyone recommend a pose for me to work on? I find I've been unconsciously arching my back in normal life, and so I think I should try to counteract that, but I'm also in the mood for a balancing pose of some sort. The mental theme I'm going for is feeling grounded and secure in myself despite what else might be going on with other people, but also being up for adventures. I'm usually more focused on where I'd like to go physically, so I'm drawing a blank. Any advice would be welcome!

Also, what fabulous photos, already!

Shannon, I agree that the challenge is just as much about the mental/emotional as the physical. That is what makes yoga the wonder for our bodies that it is, I think!  My back arching is something I struggle with too. What about tree pose?  It's got the balance aspect, but it's probably a good one for focusing on the alignment of your spine too, right?  I'm not a pro, but it sounds right. ? Also, tree pose always helps me feel grounded and peaceful. Whatever you choose, best wishes for you toward it!

YogaByCandace and yogafire like this

I think the posture issue may be anterior pelvic tilt.  I also have an arch in my lower back - I went to a posture class, and one cue was to "hang your ribs", and that made me lower, engage my abs, and then tilt my front pelvis down correctly.  It is so hard!  I did some cursory research, and, thought this best explained how it can be due to weak abs and glutes with overactive quads and hip flexors. So, doing quad and hip flexor openings might help, or you can work on strengthening the core (any balance pose is probably good, like you wanted!).

I've been wondering if I have a similar problem. Whenever I get into high lounge, for example, I notice my pelvis wants to move forward while my tailbone moves sort of down and to the front, the backward hip rotation mentioned in that link. I'm doing a very poor job describing the movement in question, which is why I hadn't mentioned previously. I'm very glad you brought it up.

I've been working on making this adjustment during lounges and warrior I. Hopefully I'm getting it right.

Lorelei likes this

Hi Hildegard! Can you share pictures of your high lunge from a side view?  I don't know much about alignment, so hopefully others can comment. I wanted to better understand what you meant though because in my link, the backward hip rotation is a good thing - the correction for a forward pelvis tilt.  I'm not sure if what you did originally needed any correction if you were already doing the backward hip rotation?

Hildegard likes this

So I just wanted to check in and say I am very proud of myself this month. Every other challenge I was so excited, did the first few days, then tapered off, forgot all about it, and did other practices. This month, I've stayed on track, been practicing between 3-6 days a week, and look forward to the changes I see in my chosen pose (baby grasshopper)!

Seriously, thanks again Candace for the blog and videos, and to the members here to keep me motivated! :wub: Ya'll rock!

Edited by Kerri
yogafire, robert and YogaByCandace like this

The 30 day mindful Challenge came at just the right time for me, just when I was feeling down thinking that this next step up in my practice wasnt going to ever happen for me. Candace is a remarkable instructor. Yesterday on day 19, I did a completely unassisted forearm stand!  Before this challenge, I was certain headstands/handstands were something I would never do.  It has been a step process,  yesterday I decided I wanted a picture of my progress,  so I had my hubby grab a camera,  I was ready to give it a go without the wall at all!  I did it!  32 yrs. Old and I did , my first ever forearm stand without any help! Not only have I learned this pose from the challenge, I have noticed my strength has increased, and I'm toning up more all around. Once I improve my form on this pose,  I will continue to work on headstands/handstands! 

IMG_20150919_230449-1.jpg

YogaByCandace, Kerri and yogafire like this