YogaByCandace

30 Day September Program

31 posts in this topic

The 30 day mindful Challenge came at just the right time for me, just when I was feeling down thinking that this next step up in my practice wasnt going to ever happen for me. Candace is a remarkable instructor. Yesterday on day 19, I did a completely unassisted forearm stand!  Before this challenge, I was certain headstands/handstands were something I would never do.  It has been a step process,  yesterday I decided I wanted a picture of my progress,  so I had my hubby grab a camera,  I was ready to give it a go without the wall at all!  I did it!  32 yrs. Old and I did , my first ever forearm stand without any help! Not only have I learned this pose from the challenge, I have noticed my strength has increased, and I'm toning up more all around. Once I improve my form on this pose,  I will continue to work on headstands/handstands! 

YEAH! Woohoo, congrats, that is awesome! I'm so happy for you - you should proud of your hard work! :D

LIlLiZa83 likes this

Progress on my Mermaid Pose is slow. I think I chose something more advanced than I was ready for, considering the tightness in my hips. I was really hoping my hips would open more by now, but they are so tight. I'll keep working on mermaid, but I don't see it coming together this month. ? Bright side?  My headstand is coming along like gangbusters. It's a happy surprise that, after lots of weeks of feeling stalled, it's falling into place. Or maybe that's the wrong term to use. Hahaha

YogaByCandace and robert like this

Progress on my Mermaid Pose is slow. I think I chose something more advanced than I was ready for, considering the tightness in my hips. I was really hoping my hips would open more by now, but they are so tight. I'll keep working on mermaid, but I don't see it coming together this month. ? Bright side?  My headstand is coming along like gangbusters. It's a happy surprise that, after lots of weeks of feeling stalled, it's falling into place. Or maybe that's the wrong term to use. Hahaha

Not sure if it's a common thing or just my experience, but opening the hips and lengthening the hamstrings seem to be the hardest and longest process! I'm with you there!

YogaByCandace and robert like this

I've gained about 30 degrees in forward bend in about 4 to 5 months, agree that hamstrings seem to take ages. Also odd as I can get my leg a lot higher in reclining big tow, than the equivalent in uttanasana.

Keep working on it.

YogaByCandace likes this

I've gained about 30 degrees in forward bend in about 4 to 5 months, agree that hamstrings seem to take ages. Also odd as I can get my leg a lot higher in reclining big tow, than the equivalent in uttanasana.

Keep working on it.

Thanks, I will.  You too!  I totally agree how weird it is that some things progress without seemingly related poses not progressing the same.  It's all pretty fascinating.

YogaByCandace likes this

For this program my focus was on strengthening my headstand, as I have an unfortunate tendency to flip over more often than I'd like. I decided to switch my approach and try to do the pose with my knees close to my chest and from there lift them up, to make sure I was engaging my core properly.

Now that the month of mindfulness is over, I'm delighted to say that the experiment worked. I'm back to my usual approach (one leg up, then the other either straight up or with my knee close to my chest) and I truly felt the difference. I'm much stronger and I really feel my forearms pressing on the map. And just yesterday I felt I was about to trip over - too many thoughts racing through my mind - and immediately, instinctively, my core tightened and I was able to regain control and slowly come out of the pose.

I still have more work to do in the pose to perfect it, but I'm getting there. It's nice to feel and see some substantial progress for once.

YogaByCandace likes this