afriske

Yoga For College Students

5 posts in this topic

Hey, everyone

I have an idea for a yoga video series called "Yoga for College Students by a College Student." I wanted to get some feedback on whether or not you guys believe people will be receptive to it online and on my campus. I am not a yoga teacher (I can't afford the training) but I have been practicing for awhile and am very passionate about yoga and introducing it to people as a way to help their health, which is something sometimes college students are lacking. 

It would probably be pretty basic videos, maybe some that are more challenging, but I would always refer to my teachers if I had a question on my form or a question from a viewer. I want to make yoga less intimidating for people who have never done it before and make it less of stressor for college kids who are already running around.

Why don't you make a questionnaire and hand it round your fellow students? Ask them if they have any fermiliarity with yoga, and such like, you would know your target audiance much better than I do.

however you should take care that your lack of training does not result in leading someone into an injury. Could you make a kickstarter to fund the training?

In my experience, people seem to latch onto others who are doing something different. For example I make/play Italian ocarinas (a musical instrument), Conversations with new people often goes down as:

* what do you do?(meaning professionally)

* answer: I make ocarinas

* other person: massive list of questions follows as they have never heard of it

If you can present what you are doing in a way that sparks peoples interests and connects with a need, then yes there is a good chance it could work.

As a not over complicated starting point, perhaps introduce a few postures in a slow flow, as a moving meditation? Just an idea I had.

Edited by robert

Maybe look into adding a disclaimer upfront of your videos so you held liable for any freak injuries.  I see it on some exercise videos as a standard message that all physical activity can come with risks.  

I don't think you need to advertise that you're not a registered yoga teacher (which is why I worried about liability).  But I do think it's a helpful perspective to learn from peers or people who are not as "seasoned" because the challenges for beginners are more fresh in their minds.  I personally would be afraid of people hurting themselves and trying to do things their bodies aren't ready for, and if it's on video, you don't get that feedback or know.

This is tough - it's a great sentiment to do this, but, you get no live feedback as a video series.  Then again, in person may have even more liability risk, I really don't know how that works.  Could the yoga sessions start off more informally in person, as part of dorm events in which people share different interests or start a student group / club?  Not all campuses work the same, but it's worth it to check if you can start a new club and get funding from the university for mats, blocks, etc., or bring in a local registered yoga teacher as a guest to do adjustments?  I feel if yoga were offered through a student group rather than an official class at the gym, I would have been more interested in learning about it back then!

Why don't you make a questionnaire and hand it round your fellow students? Ask them if they have any fermiliarity with yoga, and such like, you would know your target audiance much better than I do.

however you should take care that your lack of training does not result in leading someone into an injury. Could you make a kickstarter to fund the training?

In my experience, people seem to latch onto others who are doing something different. For example I make/play Italian ocarinas (a musical instrument), Conversations with new people often goes down as:

* what do you do?(meaning professionally)

* answer: I make ocarinas

* other person: massive list of questions follows as they have never heard of it

If you can present what you are doing in a way that sparks peoples interests and connects with a need, then yes there is a good chance it could work.

As a not over complicated starting point, perhaps introduce a few postures in a slow flow, as a moving meditation? Just an idea I had.

A questionaire is a good idea thank you. Maybe. Maybe I could just put a pose on social media about a few poses. Like a graphic or something...

Maybe look into adding a disclaimer upfront of your videos so you held liable for any freak injuries.  I see it on some exercise videos as a standard message that all physical activity can come with risks.  

I don't think you need to advertise that you're not a registered yoga teacher (which is why I worried about liability).  But I do think it's a helpful perspective to learn from peers or people who are not as "seasoned" because the challenges for beginners are more fresh in their minds.  I personally would be afraid of people hurting themselves and trying to do things their bodies aren't ready for, and if it's on video, you don't get that feedback or know.

This is tough - it's a great sentiment to do this, but, you get no live feedback as a video series.  Then again, in person may have even more liability risk, I really don't know how that works.  Could the yoga sessions start off more informally in person, as part of dorm events in which people share different interests or start a student group / club?  Not all campuses work the same, but it's worth it to check if you can start a new club and get funding from the university for mats, blocks, etc., or bring in a local registered yoga teacher as a guest to do adjustments?  I feel if yoga were offered through a student group rather than an official class at the gym, I would have been more interested in learning about it back then!

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't want anyone to get hurt because I'm not a registered teacher, or because they aren't using proper form, which is one of the main reasons why I'm so hesitant. I just want to create an environment where it wouldn't be so intimidating. We have a yoga club on campus but there is an older teacher and you have to pay for the classes. It's not like the teacher is bad or intimidating, but she just wasn't appealing to me as I didn't connect with her.

It's hard because I want to do this, but I also want to be a registered yoga teacher. I wouldn't mind doing it when I become a registered teacher, but I just don't know when that would be and I want the "college" experience to be fresh in my head to make it genuine.

And maybe like robert said, I should try to find a way to fund my training. It's just hard to do so because I am already working on fundraising for my study abroad trip.

yogafire likes this