Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LarryD517

Why Everyone Is a Yoga Teacher - WSJ.com

3 posts in this topic

Why Everyone Is a Yoga Teacher

WSJ's Rachel Bachman joins Lunch Break and explains how people in droves are training to become yoga instructors, but many have no intention of teaching a single class.

By Rachel Bachman
Updated Sept. 1, 2015 7:34 p.m. ET

People in droves are training to become yoga teachers, but many have no intention of leading a room full of downward dogs. 

More than 14,700 new teachers registered last year with Yoga Alliance, the nation’s largest yoga-teacher registry. Industry leaders estimate that just as many people completed teacher training but didn’t register as teachers. 

Studio owners say teacher training has become a kind of advanced course for people seeking a deeper yoga education after years of taking regular classes. Of course, many people take yoga-instructor training because they want to teach, though teachers themselves say it is difficult to earn a living doing that...

Read more at http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-everyone-is-a-yoga-teacher-1441128493

Edited by LarryD517

Interesting article. If people are doing the teacher training just to increase there understanding, perhaps there is room for teachers to introduce more of the details in classes?

yogafire likes this

That's a refreshing article, but I'm a bit skeptical that it's to maintain demand for teacher training amidst the articles that warn about going through teacher training to expect to make a living.  That's a huge luxury to spend that much for personal development when there should be an in-between option to go deeper into details, like robert said.

I met someone in my studio who was going through the studio's teacher training, but not aspiring to be a teacher. She just wanted to "geek out" and understand anatomy more. A friend went through training just so she could introduce yoga to her friends without hurting them (and who were too intimidated to go to class with her).  She didn't trust herself to do it without that knowledge. All admirable reasons, but, hard for me to still justify the cost to do it.

afriske and Lorelei like this